Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #376
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
Scottoiler's.....Worth it or not? Looking them over and seeing some reference but not sure if it would be a better addition or keep with the manual process of lubing the chain every several hundered miles with dry lube or chain wax.
You really do not need to lube an O- (or X-, Z-) ring chain every few hundred miles. The grease is sealed in by the rubber seals.

You may want to wash grime off of it, and provide a cushioning factor between the sprocket and the chain, and that's where the external lube comes into play.

I would suggest a dry lube when you have a moment. Don't obsess about putting it on at specific intervals.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #377
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
Scottoiler's.....Worth it or not? Looking them over and seeing some reference but not sure if it would be a better addition or keep with the manual process of lubing the chain every several hundered miles with dry lube or chain wax.
not on a T800
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #378
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Agreed, HDB makes some pretty awesome stuff. I'd have their guards on my KLX and TE, if only I hadn't already put on Cycra guards (as the HDB products did not exist at that time.)

However, I don't like the fact that on the Tiger, ROX risers are needed for the HDB guards. Why not? Because the ROX risers add a second point of rotation for the bars. I've seen multiple instances of bikes being dropped when equipped with ROX risers, and the bars tend to twist the risers much more easily than standard risers that only have one point of rotation. I think the ROX units are very nice for their adjustability, I just don't care for their durability.
I haven't had that problem yet and I drop my bikes lots!

Id rather twist the mounts or bars than break or bend something. All it takes is an allen wrench and a second or two to fix any issues.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #379
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Engine guards

Folks,

I will be buying an 800xc in a month or so, and have been looking at different engine guards. I had originally thought of just going with the Triumph ones, realizing that the tank/fairing was unprotected. I have seen recently the Holan guard and really like them, both the look and coverage, but not sure about shipping from the UK. I also see that Touratech has a top tank guard, which would compliment the OEM engine guard.

My question is: Is one of these setups better or worse for maintenance or access? Either way they are similar in price, and I like the looks of either. So it may come down to one being fussier than the other to work around.

Thanks
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #380
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Folks,

I will be buying an 800xc in a month or so, and have been looking at different engine guards. I had originally thought of just going with the Triumph ones, realizing that the tank/fairing was unprotected. I have seen recently the Holan guard and really like them, both the look and coverage, but not sure about shipping from the UK. I also see that Touratech has a top tank guard, which would compliment the OEM engine guard.

My question is: Is one of these setups better or worse for maintenance or access? Either way they are similar in price, and I like the looks of either. So it may come down to one being fussier than the other to work around.

Thanks
Not sure about either. Have you considered the Happy Trails guards? I like mine. If you get the Touratech make sure you go with black. IMO the brushed aluminum looks out of place.
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #381
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I just got the Holan guard and haven't had it on for long so can't talk in depth about it. It does look good on the bike, and it does seem to keep things open to access, although, you do have to work around it a bit for the maintenance. The side panels, where the turn signals are, have an allen bolt that is directly behind one of the joints on the crash bars. You can still get to the bolt, but if Holan had moved that joint a centimeter or two in either direction, it probably would have made the access much easier. Still, it seems like you should be able to do any stuff that needs doing without too much headache.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #382
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Anyone have the Altrider sump guard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObtuseMoose View Post
Yep. Very happy with it. A minor bit of juggling to get the bolts lined up (an extra set of hands is helpful to help hold it all in place long enough) but honestly nothing painful at all to install. Far easier than their VStrom version thats for certain.
I just installed mine yesterday by myself. Burmbuster, If you get one, ignore the directions...putting in the front two bolts first did not work for me at all because I couldn't get the other four holes to line up right with the bolts on the Tiger's belly. Instead I taped the two front bolts & tapered washers in place (with the spacers in place on the bolts on the engine side of the skidplate), got the other four nuts started, and then went back to the two front bolts. That made it go on quite easily. Trying to follow the directions resulted in me spending too much time on the garage floor and too many foul words leaving my lips.

And like ObtuseMoose, I like mine. I haven't hit anything with it (yet), but it seems like it would give better protection than the stock plastic plate or the Triumph aluminum plate.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #383
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Folks,

Thanks
I've been very "Happy" with these. Kind of pain to install, but the mounting is to the frame not the motor.

strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #384
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
The bottom looks like its bolted to the motor. How is the bottom attached to the frame?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #385
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,427
I'm sorry, but IMO, those are just ugly. They don't match the lines of the bike, they don't flow, and they look like someone took the bars off my KLR and bolted them on a Tiger.

I have the OEM lowers and may add the TT overpriced upper bars soon. YMMV
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #386
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
The bottom looks like its bolted to the motor. How is the bottom attached to the frame?
I'm not sure about these specifically, but the engine has holes for the mounts. They don't get bolted to the fram.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #387
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
I'm sorry, but IMO, those are just ugly. They don't match the lines of the bike, they don't flow, and they look like someone took the bars off my KLR and bolted them on a Tiger.

I have the OEM lowers and may add the TT overpriced upper bars soon. YMMV
I would have to agree. I did the OEM lower and TT upper. I haven't installed the uppers yet. I'm painting them to match the orange first.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #388
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,068
You guys who think the HT bars aren't pretty enough probably spend too much time at Starbucks, not that there's anything wrong with that. I wish those bars had been available when I bought my bike.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #389
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
You guys who think the HT bars aren't pretty enough probably spend too much time at Starbucks, not that there's anything wrong with that. I wish those bars had been available when I bought my bike.
Neverbeen to a starbucks and never ridden an ugly bike... they do look like a good place to get a grip to stand a napping bike up or to lift it over an obstacle, tho...
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #390
T
®

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Want bars that protect? Get these.

Want pretty lines on a bike? Shoulda bought a Panigale.