Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #391
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Want bars that protect? Get these.

Want pretty lines on a bike? Shoulda bought a Panigale.

I gotta say that the farkling I've done so far has made the Tiger uglier, but more functional:

- Altrider skidplate: large and a bit ungainly looking, but looks like it will protect far more than the stock plastic piece
- Madstad windscreen: effin' HUGE but very functional and effective
- front fender riser: looks like she's wearing capri pants and I think 2 people on the planet look good in those
- Heidenau K60 tires: Just adds a bit of an angry look...sorta like she's got hairy legs under those capri pants
- Happy Trails panniers and racks: Not attractive, but functional
- I'm waiting on my Holan Pro crashbars: Better looking than the Happy Trails, and they look like they'll protect better than most stuff out there, but they still aren't pretty.

I'd show pics, but I've been out riding as much as possible with the brief stint of somewhat less colder weather. When it goes bitter cold again I'll stop and take a few pics.

Basically I'm turning a good-looking female into an unshaven angry lesbian. Meh...won't be the first time that's happened.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #392
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
I'm sorry, but IMO, those are just ugly. They don't match the lines of the bike, they don't flow, and they look like someone took the bars off my KLR and bolted them on a Tiger.

I have the OEM lowers and may add the TT overpriced upper bars soon. YMMV
You can have your pretty bike, Ill take the bad ass bike
My happy trails bars are stout! I had the Triumph guards and they didn't do shit for the tank and plastic.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #393
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
You can have your pretty bike, Ill take the bad ass bike
My happy trails bars are stout! I had the Triumph guards and they didn't do shit for the tank and plastic.
That is why I said im using oem on lower and TT on the upper... hope you dont fall over on rocks cause you have nothing covering your engine cases, just the radiator and tank... but to each his own! At least we all got the right bike to begin with!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #394
deptom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair View Post
OEM center stand
OEM Engine guard
Triumph tank bag (for long trips, otherwise Cortech Mini for running around town)
Pelican 40L cases
Givi 52L top case
Battery Tender
Would you have a pic of the Cortech Mini on the bike? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #395
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Thanks for the replies. I agree with the sentiment that the HT bars are stout, however, I think they look out of place. So I am deciding between the Holan, and the OEM/Touratech combo.

Somecallme...tim,

how much was shiping from the UK for the Holan bars?(if you don't mind me asking?) or is there another dealer closer to North America?
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #396
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I agree with the sentiment that the HT bars are stout, however, I think they look out of place. So I am deciding between the Holan, and the OEM/Touratech combo.

Somecallme...tim,

how much was shiping from the UK for the Holan bars?(if you don't mind me asking?) or is there another dealer closer to North America?
I was on the fence between the Holans and the HTs myself. I had considered the OEM/Touratech combo too, but seeing money fly out of my wallet with bike payments and accessories I wanted, I was trying to get the best bang for the buck, and that option would be at least $100 more, I figured. I consulted my friend on what he thought I should go with, and he said something to the effect of "what's going to make you happier to look at on a day to day basis?" Put that way, I decided on the Holans.

To answer your question, there is indeed a N. America dealer, ADV Motorrad, who happen to have a presence here on ADV. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834238 I forget what the shipping came out to be exactly, but there were several options to pick from. I, of course, went for the cheapest option, USPS. If I recall correctly, the final cost including shipping was within $10 of the HTs. The one drawback to the process was that they didn't have the crash bars on hand at the time, so had to be ordered from Poland with their next shipment. All told, it took a little over a month to get them, but Jason from ADV Motorrad was great with the communication and let me know whenever there was any progress in the shipment. I don't know if he has more crash bars in stock now, or if they'd need to be shipped from Poland again.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #397
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post

Somecallme...tim,

ADV Motorrad can import them. I ordered mine on December 20th, and immediately got a note from ADV Motorrad about expected delivery time. They're made in Poland, shipped to New York, inspected, then repacked for shipment to your home in the US. That all takes time, and they wait to ship from Poland until they can bring the cost per item down; I'm expecting mine towards the end of January. I'd love it if they were already here, but at the same time I don't mind waiting a bit because they are the bars I want. From the pics I've seen, they tuck in tighter to the bodywork than the Happy Trails, and they seem to cover more than anything else out there. Based on looking at pics and my desire to have as complete coverage as possible, the only ones that made sense were the Holan Pro or the Touratech (or Triumph lower crash bars combined with Touratech uppers). The Touratech/Triumph option would have been quite a bit more expensive than the Holan Pro.

I don't remember exactly what shipping charges were, but I want to think it was only around $20-$30. Initially it was quite a bit more, but I immediately got most of the shipping charges refunded...if I had to guess, their system initially charges the customer for shipping from the point of origin, then they go in and manually refund. Or my initial shipping charges were a computer screw-up...not sure which.

http://www.advmotorrad.com/index.php...&path=59_83_84

EDIT: apparently I was typing while tim was posting. But at least his experience and mine are about the same, if that helps in the decision.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #398
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
That does make the decision easier, Thanks very much fellas!

EDIT: Wow, just checked ADVmotorrad's website, the Holan's are way less expensive than the oem/touratech combo. Think I just made up my mind. Now I just need a bike to mount them on!
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #399
ObtuseMoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Instead I taped the two front bolts & tapered washers in place (with the spacers in place on the bolts on the engine side of the skidplate), got the other four nuts started, ...

Ha!! Great minds!...I did exactly the same thing, tape and all. That was until a mate hearing my earlier blue-streak wandered over and I told him to stop laughing and put his '..damned hand on those damned bolts and make himself useful by holding up the damned front end..."

...worked better than even the tape did.
ObtuseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #400
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
That is why I said im using oem on lower and TT on the upper... hope you dont fall over on rocks cause you have nothing covering your engine cases, just the radiator and tank... but to each his own! At least we all got the right bike to begin with!
I thought about doing this. When I got my HT bars I dont't think the Touratech were for sale yet. In fact the HT bars weren't for sale yet when I got mine either. I still have my OEM protectors so I can switch back if I want.
I know that the engine looks exposed but it actually protects very well. Tyson over in the Tyson and Hobbs thread puts them to the ultimate test. I have been in some very rocky areas and luckily just haven't fallen over yet. He says he hasn't had 1 problem with them not protecting the engine.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #401
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I just installed mine yesterday by myself. Burmbuster, If you get one, ignore the directions...putting in the front two bolts first did not work for me at all because I couldn't get the other four holes to line up right with the bolts on the Tiger's belly. Instead I taped the two front bolts & tapered washers in place (with the spacers in place on the bolts on the engine side of the skidplate), got the other four nuts started, and then went back to the two front bolts. That made it go on quite easily. Trying to follow the directions resulted in me spending too much time on the garage floor and too many foul words leaving my lips.

And like ObtuseMoose, I like mine. I haven't hit anything with it (yet), but it seems like it would give better protection than the stock plastic plate or the Triumph aluminum plate.
Just installed mine yesterday. That farkle was the cherry on top, as it were, so I will be taking picks of my steed and posting them when we get another sunny day.
I didn't follow the directions to the "T" either. I actually put the back two nuts on with just a few turns and that allowed the front to drop down enough to get the bolt/spacer assemblies in.
I have to say, out of all of my farkles from different vendors this piece of kit has the best craftsmanship. Very well made. I am really impressed. Lets just hope the wife doesnt find the reciept.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #402
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
I finally got some pics of my X-mas presents to myself.
Rear TT mud guard & pilot3 tail light (notice how much brighter it is without the brakes even applied)

TT fork protectors. They use Velcro to wrap the forks.

TT radiator guards

Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #403
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 93
Question Let's Try This Foot Peg Again...

Just got some new Alpinestars Scout boots and I'm having one helluva time getting this thicker boot under the gear shift lever. I read all the replies in the beginning of this thread and I need some additional input.
For starters, has anyone splurged on the Gilles Tooling foot pegs? I would like to lower the foot pegs like the SW Motech pegs AND have them pivot like the Pivot Pegs. The Gilles Tooling pegs appear to do this.

Help me.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #404
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
I don't believe that the Gilles pegs pivot like the Pivot Pegz do; they are, however, infinitely adjustable to a preferred angle.

For what they cost, you would think they'd make toast and coffee too.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #405
T
®

Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropinParts View Post
Just got some new Alpinestars Scout boots and I'm having one helluva time getting this thicker boot under the gear shift lever. I read all the replies in the beginning of this thread and I need some additional input.
For starters, has anyone splurged on the Gilles Tooling foot pegs? I would like to lower the foot pegs like the SW Motech pegs AND have them pivot like the Pivot Pegs. The Gilles Tooling pegs appear to do this.

Help me.
I'm probably telling you something you already know but here goes anyway.
The A-Star Scouts are really stiff when new. This adds to the lack of shiftability (not a word). Take the rubber off the foot-peg (you probably already have) and raise the shift lever up a bit. Until the boots get some flexibility at the ankle you'll probably have to shift "dirt bike" style.
With a stiff boot like this I usually wear them around the house walking to speed up the break-in process.
Some wear full on MX boots which are a hell of a lot less shift friendly so put in the time and those Scouts will loosen up for ya. They are nice Dual Sport boots.

As far as the pegs go....well they look real nice. $$$