Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #436
JWalton
How do I wheelie?

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
...when the bike tipped over.
DR: Sounds like you may have a faulty bike!
Thanks for the insight... I do want the SIDI's, but was wrestling over the cost of all the new gear (just got my bike in Nov.) But, you've reinforced my gut feeling towards any gear - you get what you pay for. And my limbs are worth it!
Thanks - JW
Old 01-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #437
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalton View Post
DR: Sounds like you may have a faulty bike!
Thanks for the insight... I do want the SIDI's, but was wrestling over the cost of all the new gear (just got my bike in Nov.) But, you've reinforced my gut feeling towards any gear - you get what you pay for. And my limbs are worth it!
Thanks - JW
They may not have saved my tibia, but after factoring in the cost of ER, surgery, PT, and travel costs to get my bike from storage in Helena, MT, I'm pretty sure I'd have saved money buying the right gear before trying the CDT.

Life is a participatory sport - say YES and let the adventure begin.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #438
Hallwine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalton View Post
. Just curious - what rider protection were you wearing? I'm reviewing pants/jackets/gloves with protection/pads. I'm also trying to convince myself that I don't really need a pair of SIDI ADV boots that are ridiculously priced - but keep going back to safety/protection of my ten piggy's

-JW
I was wearing JTS leathers, pants and jacket, Altberg boots (expensive, tough and very good indeed) Triumph gloves and a Shoei full face.

The leathers have EC armour in the usual places. I went down on my left knee. The pants knee was ripped and abraded but held up. Nothing else was damaged, just scuffs.
My knee was very bruised and swollen for a while but without that armour/leather it would have been pretty bloody I think.

FWIW I very rarely ride without proper gear, including armour pads. Its saved me (from myself?) too many times....
Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #439
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Touratech Upper Radiator Crash Bars

I received a set up upper crash bars from Touratech to go with my Triumph lowers and the left side is off by about 1 CM on alignment. Right side is correct al everything works but the left side bolt holes are to close. How did everyone make them fit or is this something new? From what I know from other bike builds, the jig can come out of alignment and make this a problem. Concerned with trying to make them fit and putting the bar under stress where it can fail due to tension ont he welds causing them to fail or failing when I need them the most. Anyone else have this issue and how did you correct to make them fit? Went back to TT and that is not working out well as they sent me the same misaligned part.

ilbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #440
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
I received a set up upper crash bars from Touratech to go with my Triumph lowers and the left side is off by about 1 CM on alignment. Right side is correct al everything works but the left side bolt holes are to close. How did everyone make them fit or is this something new? From what I know from other bike builds, the jig can come out of alignment and make this a problem. Concerned with trying to make them fit and putting the bar under stress where it can fail due to tension ont he welds causing them to fail or failing when I need them the most. Anyone else have this issue and how did you correct to make them fit? Went back to TT and that is not working out well as they sent me the same misaligned part.

Welcome to world of Touratech. I have a few farkles from TT but had to modify every one of them in order for them to fit. Thank goodness I didnt buy the bars.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #441
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post

I have the Holan bars, so can't speak to your situation directly, but I can tell you from my experience, it was crucial to tighten the bolts in a certain order to get things to line up properly. I had some alignment issues when I was first installing, but went back and loosened everything up and was able to get all the parts to line up after that.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #442
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
If you want to use the TT upper bars instead of returning them, then you need to install the rear bolt first. This bolt screws into the motor, so try not to mess anything up. I left it touching, but not tight. The next bolt is the other motor mount. This bolt uses a nut so you only have to worry about the threads on the bolt. It is possible, but it's your choice. After those two bolts are in, the rest is easy. Just make sure you don't have clearance issues after your finished. I had to adjust mine a bit. The forks hit & the triple tree hit. Now, everything fits & clears.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #443
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Tiger nearly complete...........

OK, you FF's. I haven't posted pics for some time. Wanted to wait until I was further along with the project.....and a little sunshine. So here she is.

This is my road set-up. I replace the top box with a tail bag for off road. I have her just about finished. Just need to swap out the turn signals.

So here is the list from front to back with opinions:

Touratech Front Fender Riser...........Expensive for what you get but a necessity. But isnt that true with all TT stuff?

Twisted Throttle Front Fender Extender.....Same as above although I will note that I used an industrial adheasive instead of screws. It looks much cleaner that way.

TKC 80 Front Tire............Coming off of the Bridgestones, I am really impressed with the handling of this tire. Great feel for a nobby both on and off road.

SW Motech Headlite Guard..............Its easy on/easy off and very sturdy. It also allows the headlight to cool better than the encapsulated ones.

Triumph Aux Lights...........................This is the only Triumph accessory that I have and it was part of the deal when I bought the bike. They work really well. Some have had a durability issue. I have not. They work great. I especially like the aluminum brackets that protect them.

Madstad Wind Screen (Lite Smoke)........As far as improvement goes when it comes to feeling a difference, this one is it. I bought the Adventure series 18". The site said that would be fine for those up to 5'9" tall. In retrospect, I should have gotten a 20". At its highest position its perfect for me. Still has a little buffeting on the pillion though. The wife said another two inches would have been great. But then again, I hear that from her a lot in other areas of conversation.

Barkbuster Storm Handguards...........Really functional. Definitely better than stock. I just don't like the bracket clips being against the brake lines and clutch cables. I may eventually change these down the road unless I find a different clip that will work.

Rox Risers (Pivoting).......Other than the Madstad wind screen, this one makes the most difference in feel. I originaly purchased the SW Motech bar risers but was still not quite comfortable on long jaunts. These certainly did the trick. These are not the anti-vibration units but the bars have never vibrated that bad to me so I decided to save a few dollars.

SW Motech GPS Mount.....I originaly had the Zumo on the bars in the center of the triple clamps.It was OK but I wanted a cleaner look. This really helped the looks however, you will get quite a bit of bounce on the GPS when off road. It fastens to the back of the instrument cluster and we all know how flimsy that assembly is. But it does work well. Just don't be shocked when its moving a bit off road.

Bags Connection Micro Tank Bag........Really like it. Big enough to carry the wallet, head sock, charging cords, twin power socket, energy bars, pistol, etc. It expands as well and does not interfere with the bars. I don't care for tall tank bags.

SW Motech Crash Bars..........Really good quality. Pleased with them. The attached where the OEM guards attach down low and are well built. They also look clean and flow with the bike IMO.

Touratech Shift Lever.......More durable than OEM. Seems to take a beating well. Not sure who else offers them right now.

Touratech Frnt Sprocket Cover.....Beats the hell out of the plastic cover that doesnt allow you to lube the front sprocket. It will also clear debris easier. Had to freakin modify it to fit, but hey, its Touratech.

Altrider Skid Plate......A thing of beauty. Very well made and looks to be as bulletproof as they come. Pretty pricey but well worth the investment IMO. Installation was a bit trickey just due to the size and bolt placement but not terrible. When you look at the web site the price will shock you a bit. But believe me, its the best make farkle I have on my Tiger, bar none.

Wolfamn Expedition Dry Panniers.......One word. Awsome. Very functional and well made. They ride high, which is good, and the Wolfman rack is built like a battleship. Some like the yellow bags because its easier to see inside and thats true. But its not anything you cant overcome. I just leave anything I might need along the way packed on top. If I did this all over again I would, again, buy these panniers. Great quality and not a bad price. I intend on buying a duffle before long.

Trax Top Box with back rest.............Another well made unit. The locks are a little stiff but they loosen up after a bit. If you purchase the tie downs with them, be prepared. You have to drill the holes in the box yourself. I did it with no problem but some might feel uncomfortable drilling in a $400 box. It has been through rain storms and hasnt leaked a drop. Comes with a dry bag but I don't use it. Very pleasing to the eye as well.

SW Motech Tail Rack.............Bought a Touratech tail rack from an inmate and it did its job. Very functional. Then I sold it to another inmate because of the Trax top box I was about to buy. The SW Motech tail rack works well but is a little narrow for a small duffle. It still works well with a tail bag. They do make a duffle rack that locks on to the tail rack. Its well made and the install was easy.

Touratech Rear Mud Guard.......Very inexpensive. Had to re-drill several holes to get it to fit. You can tell its made for the larger euro tags but it functions quite well. Triumph discontinued there mud guard.

K60 Scouts- Rear Tire...........Great grip on and off road. A bugger to get on. I call it my "run flat" tire. Damn thing is so stiff I doubt you would have to stop if the tube let go.

So there you have it. I still plan on swapping the OEM turn signals in a month or so. There is also a new tent in my near future as well as heated grips before next winter, and the list goes on and on.

Brad

burmbuster screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 09:31 PM Reason: Added requested list of parts.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #444
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,670
Me likey
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #445
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Me likey
Thanks, Kawidad. It's been a lot of fun dressing up the Tiger but my ass pockets are now empty.
Is it a bad thing to have shipments of farkles shipped to your place of work rather than get the evil eye from the wife when you get them shipped to your home?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #446
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Me likey
+1

Are those Barkbuster Storms on your XC? Also, that sump/bash plate is gorgeous...haven't seen one like that before - is that custom?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #447
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
+1

Are those Barkbuster Storms on your XC? Also, that sump/bash plate is gorgeous...haven't seen one like that before - is that custom?
Yes, those are the Barkbuster Storms. The skid plate is manufactured by Altrider. It's the most well made piece of kit that I have on the bike. Pure craftsmanship.
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #448
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Great looking bike, if you don't mind it too much, could you list all the different parts you added to the bike. What you like, what you don't? That would be of great help. Few of them are obvious, few not so much. Thanks.
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #449
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Yes, those are the Barkbuster Storms. The skid plate is manufactured by Altrider. It's the most well made piece of kit that I have on the bike. Pure craftsmanship.
Thanks for the kind words.
That Altrider plate looks like it provides much better oil filter coverage than the Triumph variety, but they won't let me return to the plasma bank to donate for at least another month.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #450
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That Altrider plate looks like it provides much better oil filter coverage than the Triumph variety, but they won't let me return to the plasma bank to donate for at least another month.
Yeah, its definitely expensive compared to others but I wanted what I think is the best option so I bit the bullet.