Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #481
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by youtalkintome? View Post
22" without bags, they seem to be made well but haven't seen the others. I like the fact that they don't mount to the pilon pegs and have a x-over brace.

Hmmm...I expected a smaller number. The HT racks are 24". Not much difference there. HT really needs to fix the pipe clearance issue though. I'm going to end up having mine altered, both the mount point and the crossbar - it hangs too low.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #482
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Hmmm...I expected a smaller number. The HT racks are 24". Not much difference there. HT really needs to fix the pipe clearance issue though. I'm going to end up having mine altered, both the mount point and the crossbar - it hangs too low.
i was just thinking about this. i wonder why they do hang the cross bar so low. i think i'm going to contact them and ask.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #483
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,825
$@&%!#$ Centerstand

I am getting my Tiger set up for a trip out to Big Bend next month so I installed the Engine Guards, Skid plate, and Centerstand last night, man talking about a pain in the ass. Everything went on without a hitch, except the Centerstand. I've installed Centerstands on most of the bikes that I have owned, but at one point last night I had to take a break because I was ready to kick the bike over.

The Charcoal canister had to be moved out of the way. The small M6 screw on the right hand side that mounts the spring holder to the frame, had me saying choice words. The flanged sleeves with the anti-rotation tag, holy crap.

Well at least it is all done now. I got it all put together loosely and then took each bolt out individually and put blue locktite on all of them.

So far I have added the Adjustable tall screen, Engine Guards, Skid plate, and Centerstand, all of which are the Triumph models. I also have a Givi topcase that I have mounted, using some aluminum stock, spacers, and nuts and bolts from the hardware store. I'm not sure I will keep it on the bike though, it looks out of place to me.

I'm just waiting for my Wolfman side racks to get here so I can mount them up. The bags came in last week, apparently Revzilla doesn't stock the racks so I assume they will be drop shipped.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #484
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
The 15T made a huge difference in the slow dirt stuff. I lost 3-5 mph but the roll on pass is oh so easy. 7500 miles with the stock chain....no visible wear. Add the Leo Vince and the ARROW map
Ditto's. I have the same set-up. 15T, Leo Vince and ARROW map. This is the way the bike should run from the factory. Do it.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #485
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
I am getting my Tiger set up for a trip out to Big Bend next month so I installed the Engine Guards, Skid plate, and Centerstand last night, man talking about a pain in the ass. Everything went on without a hitch, except the Centerstand. I've installed Centerstands on most of the bikes that I have owned, but at one point last night I had to take a break because I was ready to kick the bike over.

The Charcoal canister had to be moved out of the way. The small M6 screw on the right hand side that mounts the spring holder to the frame, had me saying choice words. The flanged sleeves with the anti-rotation tag, holy crap.

Well at least it is all done now. I got it all put together loosely and then took each bolt out individually and put blue locktite on all of them.

So far I have added the Adjustable tall screen, Engine Guards, Skid plate, and Centerstand, all of which are the Triumph models. I also have a Givi topcase that I have mounted, using some aluminum stock, spacers, and nuts and bolts from the hardware store. I'm not sure I will keep it on the bike though, it looks out of place to me.

I'm just waiting for my Wolfman side racks to get here so I can mount them up. The bags came in last week, apparently Revzilla doesn't stock the racks so I assume they will be drop shipped.
Yeah, the centerstand is a pita, to say the least. The wolfman racks are much easier.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #486
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 94
Wolfman Saddlebags

Ok, I mentioned only hard bags earlier in this thread, but the Wolfman bags are growing on me. I do like the looks of them on the 800XC and they are certainly less expensive than hard bags.
They make two types, the Teton weather resistant bags and the Expedition bags which are waterproof. I'm not too concerned about the water tightness, as I am not a world traveler. Never too far from home.

I would like to know three things from those of you who already have these...
  1. Just how difficult is it to get into these things if you just want to throw your gloves, sunglasses, etc.?
  2. Are the Expedition bags harder to get into because of them being waterproo? The material in the video looks thicker. Could be more difficult to open and close??
  3. I like the look of the yellow Expedition bags on a white bike. Do they get looking bad from normal use, or are the black ones the way to go?
Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #487
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,372
Thanks for the how to, Pilot.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #488
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropinParts View Post
Ok, I mentioned only hard bags earlier in this thread, but the Wolfman bags are growing on me. I do like the looks of them on the 800XC and they are certainly less expensive than hard bags.
They make two types, the Teton weather resistant bags and the Expedition bags which are waterproof. I'm not too concerned about the water tightness, as I am not a world traveler. Never too far from home.

1. Just how difficult is it to get into these things if you just want to throw your gloves, sunglasses, etc.?
  2. Are the Expedition bags harder to get into because of them being waterproo? The material in the video looks thicker. Could be more difficult to open and close??
  3. I like the look of the yellow Expedition bags on a white bike. Do they get looking bad from normal use, or are the black ones the way to go?
Thanks!
I can get into my Expedition Dry Bags in about 3-4 seconds. Three snaps and unroll it, then your in. I have the black bags. The yellow ones are easier to find stuff in becaise its not as dark inside. I don't have a problem with the black bags as is. I have no experience with the Teton bags but if it's made by Wolfman, the quality will be superb.
FBJ can comment on the yellow bags.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #489
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Centerstand install

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Yeah, the centerstand is a pita, to say the least. The wolfman racks are much easier.

Haha...and the instructions say, 'remove at least once a year and grease the pivot points'. Yeah right, eh?
It is also difficult to get the bike up on it. With my side cases on it's a no-can-do for me without a helper. I don't know what I would do for a the field repair if I was solo. Take the left side case off I guess.

BTW, some have queried about how to prop the bike up to install the centerstand since the first step is to remove the side stand....a couple of tie-downs between two stationary objects will suffice. It really isn't that hard, but yes, fiddley.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #490
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropinParts View Post

Thanks!
Yes yellow gets dirty. IDK about long term use. They will both get dirtier over time I think, but they do wash up nice. They wont clean up like painted metal... sorry, that't the best way I can explain it.

Wolfman Thread
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656302
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #491
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Hey "pilot3",

I was browsing the Rocketmoto site and stumbled onto the Shorai batteries. I put one in my GF's SVS. It's considerably smaller than OEM. That would buy one some space in the battery compartment for the Rowe setup/general storage. Just a thought.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #492
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,825
Quote:
Haha...and the instructions say, 'remove at least once a year and grease the pivot points'. Yeah right, eh?
It is also difficult to get the bike up on it. With my side cases on it's a no-can-do for me without a helper. I don't know what I would do for a the field repair if I was solo. Take the left side case off I guess.

BTW, some have queried about how to prop the bike up to install the centerstand since the first step is to remove the side stand....a couple of tie-downs between two stationary objects will suffice. It really isn't that hard, but yes, fiddley.

Instructions, you mean the ones that you have to go online now in order to get the instructions. I can see that they want to save some money by not printing out instructions and including them with their accessories, but they still print out a paper in multiple languages telling you where to find the instructions.

I noticed that the Tiger was a little harder to get on the centerstand than my previous bikes, but I just attributed that to it being a little taller. It will probably be a bear to get it up on the centerstand with it fully loaded though.

I strapped my Tiger off to the bumper of my truck. The key is to have it leaning over to the left side enough that it won't fall over on the right.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #493
NABRXX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I put the givi maxia topbox on my 2013 800xc...I have put this setup on everything from a Honda blackbird, kawasaki zx14, bmw gs 800...it is a no brainier, keeps the bike slim for lane splitting in NYC and hold two full face helmets and a couple of light jackets. I ordered the givi before I even picked up the bike...it is a non negotiable for me...and it looks fine no?
NABRXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #494
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
i was just thinking about this. i wonder why they do hang the cross bar so low. i think i'm going to contact them and ask.
Let us know how that goes. I've written to them at least twice, gotten replies and replied back at length with the issues they have. At one point I think one of the contacts was their president, or someone high up. He said he would get to the bottom of it and get back to me, that was the last thing I ever heard from them.

I sent photos and complete description of the issue with the headpipe for the muffler, and lack of clearance to the right lower mounting point. Whomever designed this had their head up their ass. A simple bend of that lower bar, routing to either the frame trellis itself, or higher up on the passenger peg mount, would have alleviated the issue. As I've said, the Leo Vince headpipe is just enough larger in diameter that it won't mount up with the HT racks. I don't know about the Arrow or other brand of mufflers.

They told me basically that they were plenty busy (this was last summer) and 'probably wouldn't get to it', a redesign that is.

I was also not happy with the left side sticking so far out. Their reply was that, "Our customers have all wanted them to be symentrical." Oh, really? Well this one doesn't, I want it sucked in tight to make the overall width the least possible. I don't care if one case is sucked in tighter than the other. Or run one size larger case on the left. Their solution is that stupid little tray thingy with a non-waterproof bag. FOR $100!!! OMFG.

And finally, the cross bar hangs low because most everyone leaves their rear appendages intact. The first thing I do with every bike is cut them down, cut off the excess, get rid of any extraneous bullshit from the back of the bike. I have tried turning it over and have it go up intead of down, but it crossed the license plate right about where the numbers of the plate are. Would have to be a ticket-getter for sure. I think I'm going to have my welder guy re-fab a crossbar that is more hidden. My freaking tiger doesn't need a rear bumper.

HT racks are probably the strongest of all of them, probly wolfman are on par. So I like them for that, and the have a good mounting system for cases. As I've said though, in hindsight I would have gone Wolfman, hands down. And while the Jesse system is nice, it's stupid amounts of money. If you have the $$ to blow then it's all good.

HT right side mount interference:

Here's how I cleaned up the rear on on mine. No more crap hangng down:

browneye screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 08:12 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #495
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
HT right side mount interference:

I wonder why they wouldn't have just used the bottom of the peg hanger, like SW Motech. That would've made the most sense.

Quote:
Here's how I cleaned up the rear on on mine. No more crap hangng down:

Riding in the rain means whatever/whomever is going to get sprayed.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote