ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #496
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

Riding in the rain means whatever/whomever is going to get sprayed.

"It never rains in southern california..."

And if it did we would stay home.


Seriously, it's been a non-issue. Lots of wet and mud bogs last weekend and no excessive mud spray. It looked like I had a river delta in the driveway when I hosed it off.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #497
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Hey "pilot3",

I was browsing the Rocketmoto site and stumbled onto the Shorai batteries. I put one in my GF's SVS. It's considerably smaller than OEM. That would buy one some space in the battery compartment for the Rowe setup/general storage. Just a thought.
I thought of exactly that. Then while looking at mounting the PDM in the battery area, it dawned on me that all the wiring mess would be located there instead. With all the connectors and the jumble of wires, I thought it better to be in the non-accessible space at the rear, but you are spot on that the Shorai will open up some other space for another gadget.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #498
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Haha...and the instructions say, 'remove at least once a year and grease the pivot points'. Yeah right, eh?
It is also difficult to get the bike up on it. With my side cases on it's a no-can-do for me without a helper. I don't know what I would do for a the field repair if I was solo. Take the left side case off I guess.


BTW, some have queried about how to prop the bike up to install the centerstand since the first step is to remove the side stand....a couple of tie-downs between two stationary objects will suffice. It really isn't that hard, but yes, fiddley.
That damn thing is never coming off again unless it breaks!!!
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #499
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I can get into my Expedition Dry Bags in about 3-4 seconds. Three snaps and unroll it, then your in.
Just to give a second opinion on that: I had the Wolfman bags on my WR250X:



And I absolutely freaking hated them every second I had to use them. They are a total PITA to attach to the racks, about a gazillion straps used to close, roll, attach, secure, and whatnot. Never ever will I use such a system again. Not for me. Not at all.

Next time, it's either something similar to a Giant Loop bag or the Wolfman Beta or. No way I'm dealing with these straps all over the things again. I have better things to do when riding ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #500
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Let us know how that goes. I've written to them at least twice, gotten replies and replied back at length with the issues they have. At one point I think one of the contacts was their president, or someone high up. He said he would get to the bottom of it and get back to me, that was the last thing I ever heard from them.

I sent photos and complete description of the issue with the headpipe for the muffler, and lack of clearance to the right lower mounting point. Whomever designed this had their head up their ass. A simple bend of that lower bar, routing to either the frame trellis itself, or higher up on the passenger peg mount, would have alleviated the issue. As I've said, the Leo Vince headpipe is just enough larger in diameter that it won't mount up with the HT racks. I don't know about the Arrow or other brand of mufflers.

They told me basically that they were plenty busy (this was last summer) and 'probably wouldn't get to it', a redesign that is.

I was also not happy with the left side sticking so far out. Their reply was that, "Our customers have all wanted them to be symentrical." Oh, really? Well this one doesn't, I want it sucked in tight to make the overall width the least possible. I don't care if one case is sucked in tighter than the other. Or run one size larger case on the left. Their solution is that stupid little tray thingy with a non-waterproof bag. FOR $100!!! OMFG.

And finally, the cross bar hangs low because most everyone leaves their rear appendages intact. The first thing I do with every bike is cut them down, cut off the excess, get rid of any extraneous bullshit from the back of the bike. I have tried turning it over and have it go up intead of down, but it crossed the license plate right about where the numbers of the plate are. Would have to be a ticket-getter for sure. I think I'm going to have my welder guy re-fab a crossbar that is more hidden. My freaking tiger doesn't need a rear bumper.

HT racks are probably the strongest of all of them, probly wolfman are on par. So I like them for that, and the have a good mounting system for cases. As I've said though, in hindsight I would have gone Wolfman, hands down. And while the Jesse system is nice, it's stupid amounts of money. If you have the $$ to blow then it's all good.

HT right side mount interference:






Here's how I cleaned up the rear on on mine. No more crap hangng down:

No wonder your bike is hard to get on the center stand. You cant grab your rack the way it is designed. Mine is fairly easy to get on the stand even when loaded. Much easier than my Sprint ST use to be. I face the front of the bike and grab the rack, then lift. The hand grab is too high to use. You can use the frame but is kinda awkward and your hand will get dirty every time.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #501
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Haha...and the instructions say, 'remove at least once a year and grease the pivot points'. Yeah right, eh?
It is also difficult to get the bike up on it. With my side cases on it's a no-can-do for me without a helper. I don't know what I would do for a the field repair if I was solo. Take the left side case off I guess.


BTW, some have queried about how to prop the bike up to install the centerstand since the first step is to remove the side stand....a couple of tie-downs between two stationary objects will suffice. It really isn't that hard, but yes, fiddley.
I recently installed the center stand on my XC, and I too was surprised at how difficult it was to put on the stand, and frankly, get off of the stand. Definitely takes more technique than my previous center stand equipped bikes have needed.
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #502
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs
 
Dirtysouth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 30120
Oddometer: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by NABRXX View Post
I put the givi maxia topbox on my 2013 800xc...I have put this setup on everything from a Honda blackbird, kawasaki zx14, bmw gs 800...it is a no brainier, keeps the bike slim for lane splitting in NYC and hold two full face helmets and a couple of light jackets. I ordered the givi before I even picked up the bike...it is a non negotiable for me...and it looks fine no?

I have the E52 on my Tiger. I agree that it is functional without a doubt, but it doesn't look right on the Tiger in my opinion. I am on the fence on whether or not I will be keeping it on my bike. For the most part, all I need a top case for is to keep my tools and tire repair kit on the bike all of the time. I don't have a passenger, although my oldest daughter who will be 8 this spring has expressed interest in riding with me. I'm thinking about a small or medium size pelican case, and doing something along the lines of BrownEye who added a backrest to his case. The plus of the Pelican over the Givi is it is smaller, and you can still strap a tent to the top. The negative is you do lose the option of storing your helmet and or riding gear inside.
__________________
"...When your time comes to die, do not be like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,
So that when their time comes, they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over a different way.
Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #503
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs
 
Dirtysouth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 30120
Oddometer: 4,906
What size Pelican case for top case?

What size Pelican (or similar) cases are you guys running as top cases? I have a couple of unmolested 1520s but was going to keep them for using in my truck for storage. I'm thinking I may go with a smaller size as the 1520 may be a little big for what I need.

The case needs to be big enough for a tool roll, tire repair kit which includes a spare tube or two, small pump and or CO2 cartridges, and also an extra pair of gloves and Rok straps. The foot print of it needs to be able to carry a 12 pack as well.
__________________
"...When your time comes to die, do not be like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,
So that when their time comes, they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over a different way.
Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #504
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Just to give a second opinion on that: I had the Wolfman bags on my WR250X:

And I absolutely freaking hated them every second I had to use them. They are a total PITA to attach to the racks, about a gazillion straps used to close, roll, attach, secure, and whatnot. Never ever will I use such a system again. Not for me. Not at all.

Next time, it's either something similar to a Giant Loop bag or the Wolfman Beta or. No way I'm dealing with these straps all over the things again. I have better things to do when riding ...
Hmmm...this is good to know.
You just saved me $200.

I have Dirtbagz on my Husky and even though they are a lot more simple than the Wolfmans, they still are kind of strappy oriented and you're fiddling with tying everything up everytime you get into them or load and unload them.

Maybe my pelican cases aren't so bad afterall. They're sure a breeze to deal with. My only reservation is the risk of leg injury if you stick your foot out in a slide or to break your fall and you run over your own leg with your pannier. We've had two GS riders in our riding groups do this in the past couple of months. Hard cases are generally not well thought of for offroad.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #505
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Just to give a second opinion on that: I had the Wolfman bags on my WR250X:



And I absolutely freaking hated them every second I had to use them. They are a total PITA to attach to the racks, about a gazillion straps used to close, roll, attach, secure, and whatnot. Never ever will I use such a system again. Not for me. Not at all.

Next time, it's either something similar to a Giant Loop bag or the Wolfman Beta or. No way I'm dealing with these straps all over the things again. I have better things to do when riding ...
I think they are fine. I take them off when I wash the bike. Other than that they stay in place. Do you take them on and off every time you stop? Nothing is ever for everyone...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #506
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
I recently installed the center stand on my XC, and I too was surprised at how difficult it was to put on the stand, and frankly, get off of the stand. Definitely takes more technique than my previous center stand equipped bikes have needed.
I believe the trick to the center stand is to have a long tool to come in from the opposite side. I remember saying something to the mechanic at the dealer and he said, "oh yeah, come in from the opposite side and its no big deal..." its been a while now since I messed with mine but thats my 2c.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #507
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
What size Pelican (or similar) cases are you guys running as top cases? I have a couple of unmolested 1520s but was going to keep them for using in my truck for storage. I'm thinking I may go with a smaller size as the 1520 may be a little big for what I need.

The case needs to be big enough for a tool roll, tire repair kit which includes a spare tube or two, small pump and or CO2 cartridges, and also an extra pair of gloves and Rok straps. The foot print of it needs to be able to carry a 12 pack as well.
I've got the big box. The think I really like about Pelican/Caribou is how light they are. I have the space if I need it if I don't its not even noticeable. Good for a full helmet too.

Looking at this pic makes me want to ride so bad!!! Good thing I'll be home this weekend. Time to finally get on the bike with my new Ohlins!!!

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #508
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I think they are fine. I take them off when I wash the bike. Other than that they stay in place. Do you take them on and off every time you stop? Nothing is ever for everyone...
Sometimes I did take them off (moteling), sometimes not (camping), sometimes even when camping when I had a base somewhere. I just found them the most useless piece of luggage I ever bought. I ended up selling them with the bike, mainly because I only used my Ortlieb RackPack bags in the end. One roll top, large and long opening, two RokStraps - done. Same volume, better usable than the Wolfmans. Weight higher up? Didn't make a difference in riding at all. Less weight because no rack needed.

And yes, I understand that this is totally my own personal opinion. They might work like a charm for someone else. Just not for me.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #509
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders
 
Dirtmonkey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 1,056
UNI Prefilter Group Buy

I have started a new group buy for the UNI prefilter on the existing group buy thread. I want to get one of these and I figured I may as well start a new group buy since I know I am not alone. We may as well split the shipping from down under. I plan to hold off ordering them for a month or more to allow more people to get involved. Please visit the old group buy thread and acknowledge your interest if you need one of these. Now back to your regularly scheduled farkling discussions...
__________________
A little dirt don't hurt.
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #510
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
"It never rains in southern california..."

And if it did we would stay home.


Seriously, it's been a non-issue. Lots of wet and mud bogs last weekend and no excessive mud spray. It looked like I had a river delta in the driveway when I hosed it off.
The last rain we rode in, she had a dark stipe straight up her back.

And, that's with the factory 1050 fender still in place. I've been meaning to put an extension on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
I thought of exactly that. Then while looking at mounting the PDM in the battery area, it dawned on me that all the wiring mess would be located there instead. With all the connectors and the jumble of wires, I thought it better to be in the non-accessible space at the rear, but you are spot on that the Shorai will open up some other space for another gadget.
I forgot about all the plugs. Your installation is definitely clean, though.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014