Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #511
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 342
Thumb 2nd Pre-filter Group Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtmonkey8 View Post
i have started a new group buy for the uni prefilter on the existing group buy thread. I want to get one of these and i figured i may as well start a new group buy since i know i am not alone. We may as well split the shipping from down under. I plan to hold off ordering them for a month or more to allow more people to get involved. Please visit the old group buy thread and acknowledge your interest if you need one of these. Now back to your regularly scheduled farkling discussions...
+1-go here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...818121&page=12
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith

PYG RYDR screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 12:11 PM
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #512
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
I am getting my Tiger set up for a trip out to Big Bend next month so I installed the Engine Guards, Skid plate, and Centerstand last night, man talking about a pain in the ass. Everything went on without a hitch, except the Centerstand. I've installed Centerstands on most of the bikes that I have owned, but at one point last night I had to take a break because I was ready to kick the bike over.

The Charcoal canister had to be moved out of the way. The small M6 screw on the right hand side that mounts the spring holder to the frame, had me saying choice words. The flanged sleeves with the anti-rotation tag, holy crap.

Well at least it is all done now. I got it all put together loosely and then took each bolt out individually and put blue locktite on all of them.

So far I have added the Adjustable tall screen, Engine Guards, Skid plate, and Centerstand, all of which are the Triumph models. I also have a Givi topcase that I have mounted, using some aluminum stock, spacers, and nuts and bolts from the hardware store. I'm not sure I will keep it on the bike though, it looks out of place to me.

I'm just waiting for my Wolfman side racks to get here so I can mount them up. The bags came in last week, apparently Revzilla doesn't stock the racks so I assume they will be drop shipped.

There are two different centerstand kits available. One with EVAP and one for removed or no EVAP. I was looking at the "microfiche" on Bike Bandit's website and there are two distinctively different sections and part numbers. The only difference is the way they reference the EVAP canister, from what I can tell.

BB Part# 2816783
BB Part # 3008150
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #513
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Just to give a second opinion on that: I had the Wolfman bags on my WR250X:

And I absolutely freaking hated them every second I had to use them. They are a total PITA to attach to the racks, about a gazillion straps used to close, roll, attach, secure, and whatnot. Never ever will I use such a system again. Not for me. Not at all.

Next time, it's either something similar to a Giant Loop bag or the Wolfman Beta or. No way I'm dealing with these straps all over the things again. I have better things to do when riding ...
I suspected this and that's exactly why I asked the question. I've always had hard bags, so I've been spoiled just flipping a latch and I'm in & out. The Wolfman's are cool looking, and I'm sure they are the real deal for true off-roaders, which I'm not. Also, I really prefer being able to lock up my electronics when I go into a restaurant.

Those Caribou / Pelicans are looking better all the time.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #514
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropinParts View Post
The Wolfman's are cool looking, and I'm sure they are the real deal for true off-roaders, which I'm not.
I think a real off-roader might still prefer a Giant Loop Coyote or Great Basin. I would. And I don't like that these stupid Giant Loop bags need dry bags to keep your stuff dry inside, but I'd prefer that over dealing with the Wolfmans again.

For me I'm back to my proven 15 year old Ortlieb duffle bag (49L) that is still totally water and dust proof. I have just recently gotten two more (24L each) and love them. I take the small ones when I need to compartmentalize (camping), or as an addition to hard panniers on road trips.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #515
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
I think a real off-roader might still prefer a Giant Loop Coyote or Great Basin. I would. And I don't like that these stupid Giant Loop bags need dry bags to keep your stuff dry inside, but I'd prefer that over dealing with the Wolfmans again.

For me I'm back to my proven 15 year old Ortlieb duffle bag (49L) that is still totally water and dust proof. I have just recently gotten two more (24L each) and love them. I take the small ones when I need to compartmentalize (camping), or as an addition to hard panniers on road trips.
The Giant Loop is the last resort for the vast majority of off road users. It's not waterproof, hard to balance the loads placed in them, and looks gaudy as hell. They are used when no racks are offered and/or saving weight is at a premium I.e. small cc bikes.
If my Tiger was strictly for road use I would no doubt have chosen the panniers to match my top box. The Trax panniers. But sense I plan on riding a good bit of dirt I chose the lightest, safest, and most functional set up which is the Wolfman panniers. There are other great soft panniers out there as well. The overwhelming majority of Wolfman Expedition owners love them. Not only because of the craftsmanship and quality but because they serve their purpose so well. Some guys don't care for having to undo a few snaps to access their goods. I get it. But if you want the most secure, waterproof, lightweight, soft panniers out there then Wolfman is a top choice.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #516
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
But if you want the most secure, waterproof, lightweight, soft panniers out there then Wolfman is a top choice.
They are neither lightweight (the racks aren't light), nor more "secure" than others. They are waterproof (like Kriega or Ortlieb).

And I don't think people use the Giant Loop as "last resort", it's just that what works for some, doesn't work for others. I get that you like the Wolfmans, but that doesn't mean you have to say that others are "last resort" or less well made . Because that's plain not true.

And don't get me wrong as I said that before: I think the Giant Loop is a great idea with sub-optimal execution. They aren't waterproof and they are expensive as hell for what they are.

In my opinion the best system out there is the Kriega Overlander combined with a set of hardcases for the same rack. Now, as that combination of racks, hard panniers, and soft luggage system is about 25% of a new Tiger, it's very likely not even worth thinking about it. I thought about it and discarded it.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #517
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
They are neither lightweight (the racks aren't light), nor more "secure" than others. They are waterproof (like Kriega or Ortlieb).

And I don't think people use the Giant Loop as "last resort", it's just that what works for some, doesn't work for others. I get that you like the Wolfmans, but that doesn't mean you have to say that others are "last resort" or less well made . Because that's plain not true.

And don't get me wrong as I said that before: I think the Giant Loop is a great idea with sub-optimal execution. They aren't waterproof and they are expensive as hell for what they are.

In my opinion the best system out there is the Kriega Overlander combined with a set of hardcases for the same rack. Now, as that combination of racks, hard panniers, and soft luggage system is about 25% of a new Tiger, it's very likely not even worth thinking about it. I thought about it and discarded it.
By lightweight, I meant the bags. Everyone knows racks aren't lite. And I looked at the Kreiga's. the bags are strapped to a board that is clamped to a rack. Yeah very secure. No, not really. If you read the history of the Giant Loop they were developed due to what I stated. Dual sport or off road bikes that need storage when none was offered. Specifically the lighter, smaller cc bikes. I never stated that the Wolfman was the best at anything. I just said a top choice, not THE top choice. And I sure as hell don't want a broken leg due to hard panniers.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #518
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
And I absolutely freaking hated them every second I had to use them. They are a total PITA to attach to the racks, about a gazillion straps used to close, roll, attach, secure, and whatnot. Never ever will I use such a system again. Not for me. Not at all.

Next time, it's either something similar to a Giant Loop bag or the Wolfman Beta or. No way I'm dealing with these straps all over the things again. I have better things to do when riding ...
Found these to be a great addition to the wife's T800;

http://www.andystrapz.com/products-d...yId=22&Level=1

Got a few things from Andy over the years and have found his products and service to be excellent.

Well worth a look.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #519
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Found these to be a great addition to the wife's T800;

http://www.andystrapz.com/products-d...yId=22&Level=1

Got a few things from Andy over the years and have found his products and service to be excellent.

Well worth a look.

Cheers,

JM.
I dig the Forma Adventure Boots on his site. Wonder if they have them state side? Hmmm.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #520
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
I dig the Forma Adventure Boots on his site. Wonder if they have them state side? Hmmm.
Yeah, I've been looking at them wistfully, too..

I have tried them on at shows/race meets when Andy attends; they seems to be well made and comfy..

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #521
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
They are indeed available here, at Atomic Moto. They're active on the site here, in the vendor section.
some call me...tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #522
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
They are indeed available here, at Atomic Moto. They're active on the site here, in the vendor section.
Thanks, Tim. That's great info.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #523
cug
--

Regarding Forma boots: we have two pairs (wife's and mine), though not the Adventure boot, but an older version of the Cape Horn boots.

They are super comfy, but not very protective. I had two offs in them, and both times I got really bad bruises in areas where I normally expect some protection from a boot. Maybe they protected me from worse, but they are super soft - have to be to be that comfortable. The soles are soft, the boot is great for wider feet.

After my last get off, I was sick of having bruises in places where I think the boot could have worked better (I can still feel a tiny little bit of disgruntled tissue where I had a big bruise over a year ago) and ordered Sidi Adventure GoreTex. Not as comfy, but much, much more solid.

What I'm saying is that you should make sure you can try before you buy or can send them back if they are not what you expect.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #524
cug
--

Quote:
And I looked at the Kreiga's. the bags are strapped to a board that is clamped to a rack. Yeah very secure. No, not really.
I have seen them in person and they are about as solidly attached to the bike as the Wolfman bags.

Also I know the history of the Giant Loop bags, but they have come quite a way since that. The Great Basin has about 50L usable storage, which is good enough for me when I pack the tent separately, even for a longer trip. What isn't good enough is that you have to pay a totally insane $580 to get a waterproof set. That's completely nuts. I don't know what they are smoking there or how someone could actually pay that amount of money to get the equivalent of a $80 Ortlieb bag that is waterproof to begin with + some pack sacks.

If they offered a fully waterproof solution for about under $300 I'd very likely get one for the convenience and the good shape for the more lightweight adventures. But at the price they're asking I use my Ortlieb for another 15 years ...

Quote:
And I sure as hell don't want a broken leg due to hard panniers.
Same here. That's why I'm not riding off-pavement with panniers attached - maybe some super simple gravel roads at lower speeds, but that's it. Everything else, I don't want panniers on. But I like them on the pavement. Very handy and easy to use.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #525
Jarno123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Crashbars

A question related to the Triumph crashbars, whether it's OEM or aftermarket:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
There are no crash bars because on a narrow bike crash bars dont actually protect anything.

Even on prutsers boxer - there are no crash bars - because the engine that sticks out is tough.

Have you ever seen a Dakar bike with crash bars??

We all crashed our bikes many times. I have dropped mine at high speed a few times. Dakar guys usually have a couple of spills during the Dakar. and their speeds are always high. And yet no crash bars. In the BAM Road video teaser from EtronX I posted earlier, loads of bikes falling down in rocks ... and yet no damage to the engines.

Crash bars really dont add value. It might look like they do. It might look like they add toughness. But in most cases the bike is tough enough. As someone said above - check where they attach. Is the attach point strong enough to handle the stress? Often the answer is no. In the main, they are bling that are sold by Touratech and their clones to make money. They are designed and marketed to look tough and create a tough image. But always go back to stuff like the Dakar bikes. They ride huge distances off roads, often very fast, often quite technical, sometimes in sand, often in rocks, for half a month, day in, day out. They crash the bikes. They spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to get there, for one race, once a year. They know they are going to have crashes, but if they hole an engine, their entire year, and all its money is wasted. AND STILL they dont have crash bars. That tells me all I need to know about the value of crashbars.

In the main, crash bars dont add any value .... but they do add weight and they do cost money.

On a lighter narrower bike they are never necessary. The handlebars and luggage keep the engine miles away from contacting anything. If you have a fat bike you might guard against cosmetic damage.

But on balance - I vote no to crashbars.

You need good handlebar protectors, and you need a good bashplate (again, go back to look at Dakar bikes ... thats what they use) ... the rest is usually just bling - with a few exceptions. On my XC I have also added protectors under the footpegs, but thats because on this particular bike, the back brake mechanism and side stand attachment can and do get hit. But thats purely bike specific.
This is from the sibirsky extreme thread. What is your take on this? Can you mount the crashbars properly without it transmitting the impact through to the engine? Is it to protect the plactic bits, or will it actually have protect something more?

Somewhere further along in the Sibirsky extreme thread they mention that if you have wider bashplates, you don't need the crashbars anymore. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Jarno123 is offline   Reply With Quote