Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #541
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I'm in the market for new boots. Thanks, for posting those offerings. They're more ADVer and not so much MXer.

I'd been looking at these.
Plus 1, ducnut. I want boots that you can walk around in to a certain extent. I dont want a boot made out of 100% injected plastic molding.
Look here: http://www.alpinestars.com/moto/foot...-tex-boot.html
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #542
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,194
The TCX Infinities are highly rated by owners. As are Sidi Canyon and On Roads.

These are mostly road touring boots, but comfortable to walk in right out of the box, and waterproof I think.

In my experience, gortex makes for a very hot boot. I think I'm going to end up with something vented or perforated for this summer.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #543
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
The TCX Infinities are highly rated by owners. As are Sidi Canyon and On Roads.

These are mostly road touring boots, but comfortable to walk in right out of the box, and waterproof I think.

In my experience, gortex makes for a very hot boot. I think I'm going to end up with something vented or perforated for this summer.
I currently have a pair of Sidi's. They are 6 yrs old and I really like them. I don't know what model. They are waterproof and breath well. Great for the road and light offroading. I just want an offroad waterproof boot thats flexible.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #544
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
I can cope with the membrane for normal touring. Works okay. And GoreTex is better than most others. It's definitely better than the DryTex in my Forma boots.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #545
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I can cope with the membrane for normal touring. Works okay. And GoreTex is better than most others. It's definitely better than the DryTex in my Forma boots.
Okay, but what does 'better' mean to you? I have heard it said that gortex does work better than the knock-offs, but I'm not clear about what it does better. Perhaps it breaths better? Or sheds water better?

One thing I've learned while researching hiking boots is that the gortex (or knock-off fabrics) are definitely hotter, they don't breath as well as a non-gortex boot, it wears out much faster than a leather lining, and if you do step in a stream and the water goes over the top of the boot and floods it, it can take a week to dry out. A lot of the veteran hikers have gone away from gortex lined boots.

Gortex socks are another option for a non-waterproof boot for then they need to be waterproof.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #546
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,212
Numerous Tiger 800XC accesory threads merged last month turns into a debate on boot materials... Gotta love ADV!!!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #547
cug
--

Quote:
Okay, but what does 'better' mean to you? I have heard it said that gortex does work better than the knock-offs, but I'm not clear about what it does better. Perhaps it breaths better? Or sheds water better?
For me, waterproof motorcycle boots aren't very important. But as most of my riding is in and around the Bay Area, temperatures aren't generally that high. Which means, I appreciate if the boots breathe a bit, but don't let too much air through. In really hot climate like desert or hot and humid I'd prefer a non-lined boot, too.

And "better" in that regard for me always means "in comparison to most other membranes" with regard to breathability and waterproofness, also in terms of warranty ("Guaranteed to keep you dry"). I think the only membrane that is actually better than GoreTex is BMW (Schoeller) C-change. It changes the size of the pores depending on outside temperature. I have not seen them in boots though, only in their riding gear.

What better in terms of membranes means is:

- better breathing in dry conditions
- better waterproofness in wet conditions
- often better materials uses as Gore requires the use of specific other materials

I've had Dynatex, DryTex, and various other membranes in jackets, boots, pants, gloves, ... none ever vents as well as without a membrane. That is definitely true. I would not buy hiking boots with Gore membrane (or any membrane) for myself. My wife loves hers in all climates as she has absolutely no problems with hot feet. On the motorcycle I don't have issues either. Yes, my feet get warm, but it's not a problem as I'm not moving around a lot. When I get off the bike, I often change into sneakers or sandals right away.

The thing is: if your riding is generally in the above 60F temperatures and 90% in dry conditions, a good leather boot is hard to beat. My riding is about 30% below 60F, and I often can't predict whether it'll be raining as I go on longer trips sometimes. Therefore a boot with a membrane works well for me. The Forma boots I have do have a climate membrane, but it's definitely not as good as GoreTex.

The other thing to look out for is that for example the Sidi Adventure Rain aren't real leather in the upper boot. The Sidi Adventure GoreTex are real leather. Therefore you are getting a better breathing membrane, plus a better breathing carrier material.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #548
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Numerous Tiger 800XC accesory threads merged last month turns into a debate on boot materials... Gotta love ADV!!!
You know - gear is a farkle in itself ...
Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #549
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
The slow gravel drop described that caused this damage

probably would have been prevented by these

strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #550
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
The good thing about a boot discussion here is that everyone's kinda' on the same page. I hate to solicit the entire forum and have people telling me "X" boot is the best when I don't ride what they ride. However, take owners of a bike I'm interested in, who probably ride the same style I would, and I can get pretty good idea what boots to look at. As they've posted, I'm interested/have looked at every boot they've mentioned. Simple.....I think.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #551
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The good thing about a boot discussion here is that everyone's kinda' on the same page. I hate to solicit the entire forum and have people telling me "X" boot is the best when I don't ride what they ride. However, take owners of a bike I'm interested in, who probably ride the same style I would, and I can get pretty good idea what boots to look at. As they've posted, I'm interested/have looked at every boot they've mentioned. Simple.....I think.
I agree. After all, there is only so many different wind screens and crash bars.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #552
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
The slow gravel drop described that caused this damage

probably would have been prevented by these

But the bike with scratches on the engine cover is still less ugly.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #553
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Quote:
Fine.

My go-to boot for riding the XC is a pair of Sidi Canyons.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #554
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
And it actually washed off! No sign of the damage. I bought crash bars the following week. Nothing like grabbing the front brake at about 1 mph and the front end tuck.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #555
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Gotta agree. None of the 'full coverage' bars look great but those are the worst.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote