Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #601
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
They fit up just fine. I tweaked the bend a small amount in the vise so the surfaces bolted up flat on the end of the bars and the bar brackets. The Rox risers worked great also. Plenty of cable and brake line to raise the bars the 2"

Thanks for the heads up on the hand guards, I am buying those!!

I've been stewing about having to shell out $150 and wait in line to get some. You've remedied that!!!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #602
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,485
Quote:
They fit up just fine. I tweaked the bend a small amount in the vise so the surfaces bolted up flat on the end of the bars and the bar brackets. The Rox risers worked great also. Plenty of cable and brake line to raise the bars the 2"

What did you do with the funky bar ends? Just bolted into what's there? Spacers? Any other mods?
I took one look at the stock bar end and said to myself, "WTF"???? The factory guards are just a tip-over away from being destroyed, along with levers and mirrors.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #603
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
For what it's worth -- if you want nice solid handguards but don't want to spend much money, look at the Tusk ones, discussed earlier in this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=99

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #604
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
What did you do with the funky bar ends? Just bolted into what's there? Spacers? Any other mods?
I took one look at the stock bar end and said to myself, "WTF"???? The factory guards are just a tip-over away from being destroyed, along with levers and mirrors.
Good question. I'm still working on that. Right now I have them bolted on top of those stock bar ends. I tried some smaller spacers with fender washers so there would be more thread on that small stock bar end bolt and didn't feel any better with that either. I just do not like how small that stock bar end bolt is. Like you, I think it is the weak link.

I have not had much time to mess with it yet. I am wondering if that threaded part is removable from the bar end? That would then allow the use of the acerbis bar end bolt and hardware.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #605
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Mark, you got me interested. Is there a thread where you have discussed the install? How difficult was the install? If it is easier with the big bar adapter, I might as well get it. I am total novice so more details you can give me the better. I will highly appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
For what it's worth -- if you want nice solid handguards but don't want to spend much money, look at the Tusk ones, discussed earlier in this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=99

--mark
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #606
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Powerranger: The same with the Acerbis, do you have a detailed installation thread somewhere? Did the plastics screw on properly after you tweaked the bend? Any details will be appreciated.

Quote:
They fit up just fine.
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #607
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I removed a little material on the bar end and used the stock bolt. The stock Triumph bars have an unusual design on the end which precludes them from using the beefier bolt/expander sent with the Acerbis kit.

Also, when I think I'll be in a riding situation where a tipover could be eminent, I'll throw on the Double Take mirrors to prevent those nasty clutch perch/master cylinder implosions.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #608
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Powerranger: The same with the Acerbis, do you have a detailed installation thread somewhere? Did the plastics screw on properly after you tweaked the bend? Any details will be appreciated.
Those plastics are very flexible. It would be hard to break them even in a crash. So they bolt up with the bends I made. I did not have to bend them much. Those bars are cast and do not bend very easy. I put them in a large vise then used a large adjustable wrench for a little leverage. You do not have to tweak them much. They actually work with out any tweaking I am just ocd and wanted all mating surfaces to line up flat as I could get them. I can post pics when I get home of where I tweaked them. I would think every bike could be a little different though. I would suggest trial and error when mounting them up to see what works best for you.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #609
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Ok here is what I did today to address the stock bar end bolt. The stock bolt is 6mm X 12mm or so in length. The 6mm bolt countersunk in to the handguard a little to far and also only left maybe 5mm of thread to actually tighten down. Here is the stock 6mm bolt. Sorry about the crappy cell pics.

Stock 6mm bolt.

Stock 6mm sunk in to the Handguard.

I wanted more thread so I drilled and tapped out the bar ends to accept the Acerbis 8mm bolt. I drilled and tapped the depth to about 28mm. The throttle side had plenty of material length for this but on the clutch side for some reason there is only about 15mm of thread. No big deal it is still a lot more thread than using the stock bolt. I cut off both the Acerbis 8mm bolts at 35mm. This gives you about 23mm of thread on the throttle side and it just threads all the way through the 15mm or so on the the clutch side.

The 8mm bolt.

The 8mm installed on handguard. I drilled out the stock bar end cap to accept the 8mm bolt and bolted the guard over it. These are not going any where now. It would take a hard crash to take these guards off.

On the clutch side I installed a couple of 8mm washers to bring the guard out away from the clutch a few mm.

Also note the kit has spacers for the tapered bars. It took me a while to figure out the spacers are actually tapered. A really good concept as it makes them bolt up nice and tight on the tapered bar. Acerbis did these right. I am impressed. You can see the spacers in this pic. Before you get to excited note that I did NOT have them tightened down when I took the pic hence the gap.

Hope this helps you guys out with the questions.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #610
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
I removed a little material on the bar end and used the stock bolt. The stock Triumph bars have an unusual design on the end which precludes them from using the beefier bolt/expander sent with the Acerbis kit.

Are those the stock XC bar ends? Those things look huge compared to the Roadie.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #611
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,088
Quote:
Are those the stock XC bar ends? Those things look huge compared to the Roadie.
Yeah those are the stock units.

Maybe big compared to the Roadie but small/lighter in comparison to most other bar-end weights.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #612
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Yeah those are the stock units.

Maybe big compared to the Roadie but small/lighter in comparison to most other bar-end weights.
I would not even call the Roadie ones end weights. I am guessing the only purpose they serve is cosmetic.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #613
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Hi, all! I'll most likely be putting a deposit down on a Tiger 800 Roadie next week, along with a nice selection of factory farkles, and am now planning my luggage 'system'. I spent a lot of time reading through this thread and the general Tiger 800 thread. My current bike is an SV650, so when traveling on it, I've always had to pack relatively light, but now my minds been wandering to everywhere I want to go with the 800, both locally and on longer trips, and how I might have some more options on what and how I can pack, so I wanted to get your thoughts on the following:

Probably getting the Triumph Adventure Tail Pack with the bike to start off my kit, which should get me started for the misc. stuff I may need to carry when out for the day. Not that it matters much, but is this bag large enough to fit a helmet? I also haven't seen a good pic of the straps, so I don't know how this bag would handle slightly heavier loads, as it just seems to be balanced up on the passenger seat.

I'll want to add a TT steel rack and the 'extenders' right off the bat. I will also add a Trax Topcase to this rack as soon as I can spare the $500 for some secure on-bike storage. Can the steel rack have the top case adapters and the 'expansion plates' installed at the same time? If so, they seem like they could come in handy, but if not, I'll skip them. Also, I think I'm leaning toward the black powder-coated cases, simply because it may be easier to clean, and don't want to deal with aluminum corrosion residue.

I can probably get by with the top box and, if needed, the Adventure Tail pack, for a weekend away, but I'll slowly add the SW-Motech QuickLock side racks from TT. From what I hear, these stick out a bit far, but I like that I can remove them and only use them when I need to mount extra bags for longer weekends, etc... I can even get the Trax Expansion bags and mount them directly to the rack as a pair of 'mini' saddle bags for a bit more storage and still be 'thin' while riding around town and in the city. What I'm also thinking is that I can use the side racks as additional tie-down point to balance and secure a Pelican 1700 case that I may want to occasionally carry lengthwise across the passenger seat (~36" wide - would this be too wide to ride with?). If/When I get into some longer touring & adventuring (got some tentative plans for July and Aug), I'll get either a set of Wolfman Expedition Dry bags with their inexpensive universal adapters or, if I need even more space and/or want to go with hard cases, the 38+45L Trax side boxes (at which point I can also attach the Expansion bags I'll already have on top of them as they were originally designed). If I'll be camping, I can replace the Triumph bag on the passenger seat with my tent/bedroll/etc (maybe strapped down on top of the Pelican 1700).

So, I'm thinking the Tiger 800 can be quite the versatile pack mule! One concern is the Pelican 1700. It's a bit wide. I was thinking of maybe getting the TT Pelican Quick Release mounting kit and mounting it on the steel tail rack that way, but I'm not sure that alone would be enough to secure a wide case like the 1700 (plus it would be a bit pricey), and I think it would be too far back to tie down properly to the grab handles or the side racks.

Also, given the versatility of the above setup, are there any recommendations for other side racks, especially if they are narrower and may work well with a LV exhaust? They don't need to be removable like the SW-Motech. Actually, I really like the Jesse racks with the T800 design, but the right rack, with it's 'cut out' shape for the exhaust, doesn't seem like it would work well if I just wanted to mount a smaller soft bag on it for when the big ole' Jesse cans would be a bit much, and those Jesse cans are pricey...(not the Trax boxes are cheap....).

Thanks for any thoughts! This is going to be fun!
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #614
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
I am wondering if that threaded part is removable from the bar end? That would then allow the use of the acerbis bar end bolt and hardware.
I know you've solved your immediate problem but for future reference those tricky looking ends do unscrew from the bar. There are flats machined into it to get a spanner on. I think the inside diameter is the same as Renthals at 14mm.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #615
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Hi, all! I'll most likely be putting a deposit down on a Tiger 800 Roadie next week,

but I'll slowly add the SW-Motech QuickLock side racks from TT. From what I hear, these stick out a bit far,
The choice of bags you put on the frames is up to you but I haven't been disappointed with the Quickloc Evos. They stick out this far....

I just use a different size box either side. I know it looks a bit odd bit it keeps the width equal.

You could do similar with Pelican boxes if you go that way.

blacktiger screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 06:52 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote