Great Thanks!
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #767
heymaker8705
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Thanks for the input. On another note, how are the stock tiger mirrors? I have set of doubletake mirrors on my XR and love them. Are the tiger mirrors ok as far as vibration at speed, and adjustability? or should I look at changing them out?

Thanks

The only problem I had with the mirrors was my size. I'm 6'5" and fairly broad in the shoulders. The mirrors don't vibrate or anything for me, but I did purchase a set of mirror risers/extenders to see around my shoulders and get them up a little higher for myself. I could still use the mirrors without the risers/extenders, this is just more comfortable for me. I got them for roughly $20 off Amazon.
heymaker8705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #768
Cabriolet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Of course. I am looking overall, at the centre stand and the skid plate, which are for sure. I am debating whether or not to get the engine crash bars or go aftermarket. The pipe w/tune is another debate. Just curious what others have found either way.
I went for the Truimph skid plate, it is as good as any other aftermarket manufacturer can provide and I think it looks really nice.
I also fitted the Triumph oil filter cover, and front fender extension to try and give a bit more cover up the front, not really crash protection, more like stone and road dirt protection.

Fit the oil filter cover before the skid plate or you will be taking it back off again to slip the cover on. - ask me how I know ;)
I think (have not had chance to try it yet) that you can install the cover over the filter then fit the two together without removing the skid plate.
maybe someon else on here that has changed an oil filter without removing the skid plate can confirm?

I decided on the Triumph crash bars. It was going to be them or the R&G ones. They are both a similar price, and similar size. the Triumph ones would not affect warrenty, and they really suit the look of the bike.

Quote:
My dealer of course plays the "factory option" card when I asked, citing the arrow is warranty approved blah blah blah. I don't have a preference overall, i just don't want to pay more just 'cause it's factory...
I went for the Arrow exhaust as it would not affect the dealer warrenty. I dont ever expect to need to make any sort of warrenty claim, but if I did, I wouldn't want my choice of exhaust (to save £200) to prevent me making a £1000 warrenty claim.

Also the arrow exhaust looks great and sounds fantastic.

Quote:
Thanks for the input. On another note, how are the stock tiger mirrors? I have set of doubletake mirrors on my XR and love them. Are the tiger mirrors ok as far as vibration at speed, and adjustability? or should I look at changing them out?
Mirrors (on my XC) are perfect, best I have ever had. I am 5'9" have seat on the highest position no need for extension mounts or to replace them at all.
Cabriolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #769
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabriolet View Post
I think (have not had chance to try it yet) that you can install the cover over the filter then fit the two together without removing the skid plate.
maybe someon else on here that has changed an oil filter without removing the skid plate can confirm?
But if you do this, how will you tighten the spin-on filter?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #770
Cabriolet
Adventurer

I will be trying it next time I change the oil.
But I think I will push the cover 80-90% over the filter while it is in my hand, and leave an exposed section of the oil filter to grip hold of to tighten it, then push the cover fully home.

And if it doesnt work, its not the end of the world to remove the skid plate to replace the filter it's just 6 or so nuts. The front two fastners are a bit fiddly to get the spanner on the nut at the back.
If you do remove the plate it means you wont spill the oil all over it when you drain it, but that does defeat the point of the drain hole being there a little bit...

Cabriolet screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 06:50 AM
Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #771
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymaker8705 View Post
The mirrors don't vibrate or anything for me
Interesting. Mine vibrate between 4.2k and 5k rpm. Nothing below, a little bit above. But in that mentioned rev range, everything gets a little fuzzy. But my bike also vibrates slightly in that range.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #772
Cabriolet
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Interesting. Mine vibrate between 4.2k and 5k rpm. Nothing below, a little bit above. But in that mentioned rev range, everything gets a little fuzzy. But my bike also vibrates slightly in that range.
Remember it is the engine vibrating that is causing the mirrors to vibrate, not the other way around.
Different accessories being fitted could change the frequency (engine RPM range) at which the mirrors display the symptoms of the engine vibrations.
Things like engine bars, bar risers hand guards and bar end weights or even the angle the bars are adjusted to, could all chage the frequency at which the mirrors start to display the engine vibrations.

If you regulally cruise as 4.2 to 5k revs then try adjusting a few things to reduce or eliminate the resonation in the mirrors.
I guess replacement mirrors will probably vibrate, maybe just at a different frequency.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #773
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabriolet View Post
Remember it is the engine vibrating that is causing the mirrors to vibrate, not the other way around.
Oh no, you just shattered my whole belief that it was all the mirrors!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #774
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Looks like Sargent has finally gotten their T800 seat ready to sell. I like the design, it looks much comfier without looking like a Barcalounger, has 2 separate seats, keeps the adjustability of the stocker, and has that cool storage underneath the pillion. Sadly, I was hoping for a more reasonably priced alternative to the Corbin, but they've gone and eclipsed it by over $100. I really like the package, but damn, it's steep.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Ac...iger-800-2011/
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #775
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Sadly, I was hoping for a more reasonably priced alternative to the Corbin, but they've gone and eclipsed it by over $100. I really like the package, but damn, it's steep.
And I couldn't care less about the pillion seat. Has been used once on my bike.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #776
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I was just going to step outside and install my Triumph "sump guard" when I caught one of the warnings in the instructions:

"Do not support or jack up the motorcycle using the sump guard. Damage to the sump guard or motorcycle itself will result if this caution is ignored"

Seriously?

I know this a pretty weak looking item, but is it really that bad that the cycle cannot be lifted with it still in place?
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #777
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post
I was just going to step outside and install my Triumph "sump guard" when I caught one of the warnings in the instructions:

"Do not support or jack up the motorcycle using the sump guard. Damage to the sump guard or motorcycle itself will result if this caution is ignored"

Seriously?

I know this a pretty weak looking item, but is it really that bad that the cycle cannot be lifted with it still in place?

Notice it's not called a 'skid plate', cuz it's not. It's a rock guard for the engine sump. It's mounted on rubber studs.

The centerstand is for lifting the bike off the ground.

Mount it anyway...go ride the bike...enjoy. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #778
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
And I couldn't care less about the pillion seat. Has been used once on my bike.
Yeah, I like the functionality of the storage space they include, but I wish they had an option to just buy the rider's seat. When I got my Sargent for my SV, they included a cover to put over the stock pillion seat so that the two would match. It would be nice if that were an option here as well.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #779
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Yeah, I like the functionality of the storage space they include, but I wish they had an option to just buy the rider's seat. When I got my Sargent for my SV, they included a cover to put over the stock pillion seat so that the two would match. It would be nice if that were an option here as well.
jesse luggage has one i believe
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #780
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

I meant it would be nice to have the option to just buy the main seat instead of having to buy both. I don't think that's an option as of now. One of the reasons I wasn't stoked on the Corbin was that it had the 2 seats in 1 design. I was hoping that Sargent would still keep the seats separate, which they did, but you still have to buy them together. Shucks.