User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #871
GuiltyParty
drifter

Oddometer: 317
SW Motech crash bars

I finally got around to installing the SW Motech bars and I'm really happy with the result.

I was using the Triumph genuine OEM bars and they've kissed the gravel more times than I care to admit and held up really well, but I wanted more protection for the radiator and tank as I'm about to start on a big trip. Like most, with the SW Motech bars I was a little worried it wouldn't provide enough protection around the bottom but after inspecting where the damage was on my old bars and comparing it to the placement of these new bars I'm fairly confident it does the job.

They come up nice and high to give the radiator, plastics and indicators a bit of extra love and comfort.

As I mentioned in an earlier post this bolt (missing in the photo) uses a 15mm socket which isn't a standard size for the bike so it means having to carry around an extra bit...slightly annoying.

There's not much room to get the plastics back on after installing the bars so you have to twist it and maneuvre it to get back it on.

It fits within the profile of the bike. If it goes on it's side it will be the panniers and the crash bars that stop most of it's side making contact with the ground

The whole piece is a little heavier than the original kit but not by a lot. The bar crossing under the radiator is a more solid material...I actually bent that on the old bars and it pushed back into the radiator. If I hit the dirt any harder it would have bent the radiator brackets and could have caused me all sorts of grief.

GuiltyParty screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 04:52 AM Reason: radiator, not radar
GuiltyParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #872
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
I finally got around to installing the SW Motech bars and I'm really happy with the result.

I was using the Triumph genuine OEM bars and they've kissed the gravel more times than I care to admit and held up really well, but I wanted more protection for the radiator and tank as I'm about to start on a big trip. Like most, with the SW Motech bars I was a little worried it wouldn't provide enough protection around the bottom but after inspecting where the damage was on my old bars and comparing it to the placement of these new bars I'm fairly confident it does the job.

They come up nice and high to give the radiator, plastics and indicators a bit of extra love and comfort.

As I mentioned in an earlier post this bolt (missing in the photo) uses a 15mm socket which isn't a standard size for the bike so it means having to carry around an extra bit...slightly annoying.

There's not much room to get the plastics back on after installing the bars so you have to twist it and maneuvre it to get back it on.

It fits within the profile of the bike. If it goes on it's side it will be the panniers and the crash bars that stop most of it's side making contact with the ground

The whole piece is a little heavier than the original kit but not by a lot. The bar crossing under the radiator is a more solid material...I actually bent that on the old bars and it pushed back into the radiator. If I hit the dirt any harder it would have bent the radiator brackets and could have caused me all sorts of grief.
I, for one, have tested the SW Motech bars a few times. Both on dirt and the pavement. All low speed stuff, all turning sharp to the right at almost zero speed. The bars work great.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #873
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,264
I have the large adventure tank bag from Triumph and had a zipper fail on the rear facing pocket where I general put my smart phone or my GPS if I stopped somewhere. It was a bit dusty this weekend and went to open it and the zipper separated. Wonder if they have any warranty on accessories... Guess I'll go see local dealer and see. Doesn't have much use or miles on it to be failing this quick.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #874
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:

Ooooooooo I like these! I also really like the tank protector you have there too! thanks for taking the time to upload these!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #875
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:

Looks like you could hang a Kriega US10 off them to put some weight up front. Or, maybe, a 5 Litre Jerry can each side.

Did that bolt hole line up better than in the photo?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #876
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
I have the large adventure tank bag from Triumph and had a zipper fail on the rear facing pocket where I general put my smart phone or my GPS if I stopped somewhere. It was a bit dusty this weekend and went to open it and the zipper separated. Wonder if they have any warranty on accessories... Guess I'll go see local dealer and see. Doesn't have much use or miles on it to be failing this quick.
I believe there's a one year warranty on all accessories.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #877
GuiltyParty
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Looks like you could hang a Kriega US10 off them to put some weight up front. Or, maybe, a 5 Litre Jerry can each side.

Did that bolt hole line up better than in the photo?
Cracking idea. Just need to tell the girlfriend it's not so she can bring more stuff

The bolt lined up perfectly, the shot was taken slightly off-square which makes it look like it doesn't
Old 04-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #878
FairweatherJohn
FairweatherJohn

Oddometer: 28
Guilty Party -

Your Tiger looks great with those crashbars.

What handguards do you have on that bike? Did they fit up OK, and do they allow bars to swing without hitting the windscreen?

Do they block cold air better than the stockers?

Thanks
FairweatherJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #879
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime4four View Post
Thanks A.

Honestly, I didn't have the 990 very long. I jumped at on this one used due to the price. I liked the riding position (and overall ergonomics), the power and the sound -- it was a beast.

This one time, backing it out of a parking spot, the surface dipped a bit and due to my 32" inseam, I didn't get a solid placement with my left foot and down it went. The bike in stock form was proved to be a bit too tall for me. Of course all of this can be fixed through a lowering kit, but I found it was a bit "difficult to live with". I like to do as much of my own work as possible and just having to take off the crash bars, tank, etc to do the oil change started to put me off on the bike. Ethanol in our gas has caused the plastic tanks to swell and the tank/crash bar mountings were just off enough to make putting it all back together a PITA. The fuel economy/range was the last straw -- I would have needed to add a Rotopak to see 200 miles.

I was at the point of deciding to make due/work around these issues or make a switch before getting it all farkled up. I looked hard at the R1200GS, F800GS and Tiger and you can see what choice I made.

TCK 80s went on this last weekend and it's now time to get it dirty and test out the crash bars.

I had a 950 ADV about 3 years ago. I really loved riding the bike, but 2 failed water pumps in 7K miles and the constant maintenance PIAs turned me off to the point I sold it. Recently I'd been having some sellers remorse, remembering how well the bike worked. Then I rode my wife's 800XC home from Florida and I have COMPLETELY forgotten about the 950.

I haven't had a chance to get the 800 off road, other than one little section of steep and kinda muddy gravel, but I'm confident it will do just as well for my purposes.

I'm so incredibly impressed with the 800XC....
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #880
GuiltyParty
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairweatherJohn View Post
Guilty Party -

Your Tiger looks great with those crashbars.

What handguards do you have on that bike? Did they fit up OK, and do they allow bars to swing without hitting the windscreen?

Do they block cold air better than the stockers?

Thanks
Thanks

The handguards are Barkbuster Storm and they're a piece of piss to set up. The standard hand guards will flick up leaving the levers vulnerable when the bike takes the inevitable tumble so they need to be changed pretty quickly. I don't know if they have stopped the cold anymore than the standard set, but I only use a pair of klim dakar motorcross gloves when I ride and with the heated grips I could still ride through the winter...thank god for heated grips! No interference at all with the standard screen
Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #881
wally_
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey inmates, I'm new around here and have a quick question. I picked up my 800XC last week and this week I'll be putting on some of the accessories that came in (engine protection bars and sump guard). Does it make any difference in which order I put those two on?
Thanks!
wally_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #882
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,288
Nope.

And welcome to the asyllum.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #883
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Folks,

For any of you that have the Adventure spec crash guards, do they fit with the oem bash plate?

I really like these crash bars but don't want to order them if they won't fit.

Thanks
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #884
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Folks,

For any of you that have the Adventure spec crash guards, do they fit with the oem bash plate?

I really like these crash bars but don't want to order them if they won't fit.

Thanks
Why don't you ask them? That's how I found out that they don't fit with the SWmotech bash plate.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #885
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 132
Pre Filter In.