ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #931
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I have been wondering the same thing in regard to where the swing arm ends up at full compression. I have the Wolfman setup with the Rotopax to the out side but I have been wondering if I can move it to the inside. I am now realizing i should be able to look up the amount of suspension travel she has and measure while it is up on the center stand and find out myself. You may want to do the same before you possibly find out the hard way.

Visually the distance from the tire to the rear well is just a tad larger than the distance from the swingarm to the tank lower edge. I dont belive the tire can even come close to touching the actual plastic well.

I took a ride yesterday evening over some large speed bumps and watched the action, doesnt even come close.
__________________
Life is short, talk is cheap...so fu%^ what people say
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #932
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,584
I've seen very little mention of tail racks in this thread. In fact I don't think I have seen anyone say anything about a tail rack? Pretty basic piece of kit, but I'd like to know if anyone has any specific rants or raves about the one they have.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #933
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I've seen very little mention of tail racks in this thread. In fact I don't think I have seen anyone say anything about a tail rack? Pretty basic piece of kit, but I'd like to know if anyone has any specific rants or raves about the one they have.
I have the SW Motech rear rack...works great for it's intended use. It also has threaded holes for a top box

Here's the pic, I have a net over it

__________________
Life is short, talk is cheap...so fu%^ what people say

Dubl-A screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 08:39 AM
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #934
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,385
Strange, as I also have an SW-Motech rear rack, but it is quite different from yours.

Here is a link to the one I have:

http://advdepot.com/sw-motech-alu-ra...er-800-xc.html

It accepts the multiple adapters using cam-lock quarter turn fasteners. I use that feature to attach a Givi adapter plate - http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...-kappa-monokey and a Givi tail bag, or to attach the SW-Motech rack extender - http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...g-soft-luggage
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #935
Cabriolet
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Blackpool, England, UK.
Oddometer: 48
SW Motech Alu Rack all the way, its a brilliant peice of kit.

The alu rack requires no holes to be drilled in the stock tail cover (unlike the triumph sliding carriage kit)

I have 3 different adaptor plates that each fit with 3 quarter-turn fastners.
One to suit my Givi top box.
One for the SW Motech Trax top box.
One is a flat plate to suit a soft roll bag/tent.

They even do (yes I did buy one) a cover that plugs the T-shaped hole so everything looks neat when there is no adaptor plate fitted.

edit: The good thing about the Alu rack is that the Triumph 10 litre city tailpack and the Triumph 50 litre adventure tailpack can both (independantly of course) still be fitted to the rear rack. They just sit about an inch higer that being clipped to the standard plastic rear cover. ;)

Cabriolet screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 11:43 AM
Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #936
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I've seen very little mention of tail racks in this thread. In fact I don't think I have seen anyone say anything about a tail rack? Pretty basic piece of kit, but I'd like to know if anyone has any specific rants or raves about the one they have.
caribou luggage and rack on mine. it works gooder.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #937
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I've seen very little mention of tail racks in this thread. In fact I don't think I have seen anyone say anything about a tail rack? Pretty basic piece of kit, but I'd like to know if anyone has any specific rants or raves about the one they have.
Altrider or CJ Designs. Either bolt to the existing mounts, both work for whatever else you wanna bolt on there, top box, mount, pax, etc. Or just strap on a soft bag. I have the latter, got a raw one for $100 from them. I think the PC ones are about $135.

I never see mine because the seahorse 720 is bolted on. I would probly take it off now and then, but it's wifey's backrest too and just never know when she's gonna want to tag along. Besides, I've become addicted to the top box...so freakin' handy.





__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #938
McKay
Studly Adventurer
 
McKay's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Clovis, Ca.
Oddometer: 685
Just received my alt rider rack today, very very nice! I've been waiting to order a sump guard until I was able to see the Alt rider tail rack, Ill be buying their sump guard now as well.

I'm an aviation technician and consider myself a pretty good judge on sheet metal type things, this rack is near perfect.
__________________
Jeff
McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #939
McKay
Studly Adventurer
 
McKay's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Clovis, Ca.
Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Altrider or CJ Designs. Either bolt to the existing mounts, both work for whatever else you wanna bolt on there, top box, mount, pax, etc. Or just strap on a soft bag. I have the latter, got a raw one for $100 from them. I think the PC ones are about $135.

I never see mine because the seahorse 720 is bolted on. I would probly take it off now and then, but it's wifey's backrest too and just never know when she's gonna want to tag along. Besides, I've become addicted to the top box...so freakin' handy.




Chris, where did that back rest come from? That looks very cool.
__________________
Jeff
McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #940
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Chris, where did that back rest come from? That looks very cool.
Just handi-work. Piece of 3/8" cabinet-grade plywood, 1" foam, upholster over it, mount with a couple of SS screws at the bottom and 2" aluminum angle. I used the same vinyl as the new seat cover for the pillion came from.

It looks to be an odd angle, but had wifey sit there and adjusted it to where it sits flat to her back. Fastened down there.

Seat mod was to dish out the existing foam which reduced the slope a lot - left the front of it full height. Then glued a 1" layer of foam and shaped it to the seat-edge profile, made new cover. I'm not a pro at sewing, so you can tell by the stitches it's a DIY job.

We're good for a couple of hundred miles a day now.

__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #941
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Strange, as I also have an SW-Motech rear rack, but it is quite different from yours.

Here is a link to the one I have:

http://advdepot.com/sw-motech-alu-ra...er-800-xc.html

It accepts the multiple adapters using cam-lock quarter turn fasteners. I use that feature to attach a Givi adapter plate - http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...-kappa-monokey and a Givi tail bag, or to attach the SW-Motech rack extender - http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...g-soft-luggage
I searched all over and couldn't find any place that still carries these. How recently did you order yours? I have had no luck even finding one listed on the Twisted Throttle site. I really wanted one of these as I already have the adapter plate that I used on my Sprint. I like how minimal these racks are with the adapter plate removed.

Since I couldn't find the Alu-rack for the Tiger I purchased the Alt Rider rack with the Givi monokey hardware. It's a nice product but looks like you have a dinner table mounted on the back of the bike when you do not have a case on it.

I wonder if SW-Motech even makes the Alu-rack for the Tiger any longer?
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #942
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
I searched all over and couldn't find any place that still carries these. How recently did you order yours? I have had no luck even finding one listed on the Twisted Throttle site. I really wanted one of these as I already have the adapter plate that I used on my Sprint. I like how minimal these racks are with the adapter plate removed.

Since I couldn't find the Alu-rack for the Tiger I purchased the Alt Rider rack with the Givi monokey hardware. It's a nice product but looks like you have a dinner table mounted on the back of the bike when you do not have a case on it.

I wonder if SW-Motech even makes the Alu-rack for the Tiger any longer?
It was 1.5 years ago, just after I got the Tiger. Having an Alu-Rack on my ZZR, I knew how much I liked it and how versatile it would be. Being able to exchange items between the bikes due to the racks having the same configuration was just icing on the cake. I'm not sure why TT no longer carries these; they are an awesome accessory.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #943
McKay
Studly Adventurer
 
McKay's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Clovis, Ca.
Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Just handi-work. Piece of 3/8" cabinet-grade plywood, 1" foam, upholster over it, mount with a couple of SS screws at the bottom and 2" aluminum angle. I used the same vinyl as the new seat cover for the pillion came from.

It looks to be an odd angle, but had wifey sit there and adjusted it to where it sits flat to her back. Fastened down there.

Seat mod was to dish out the existing foam which reduced the slope a lot - left the front of it full height. Then glued a 1" layer of foam and shaped it to the seat-edge profile, made new cover. I'm not a pro at sewing, so you can tell by the stitches it's a DIY job.

We're good for a couple of hundred miles a day now.
I like it and may steal it
__________________
Jeff
McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #944
BryanCO
CO Rider
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Just received my alt rider rack today, very very nice! I've been waiting to order a sump guard until I was able to see the Alt rider tail rack, Ill be buying their sump guard now as well.

I'm an aviation technician and consider myself a pretty good judge on sheet metal type things, this rack is near perfect.
I have the Alt Rider tail rack, sump guard, crash bars and side stand footer. Very happy with all of them.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #945
984gasm
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 35
Dubl-A, What seat do you have there? It looks solid!
984gasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014