Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #991
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,760
I finally had our new Tiger out for an extended ride yesterday. I've read all the complaints about the stock windscreen, but didn't really think it was all that bad, until I rode 300 miles yesterday. Holy crap this windscreen sucks! I've rear reviews of the Madstad and a couple others, but I'm wondering if anyone has run the VSteam from National Cycle?

It comes in 3 heights, and even the short one provides bigger coverage than the stock screen. I'm thinking about the mid size one.

muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #992
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Put the 40L Caribou bags on and snapped a few shots. These cases are veterans off the KTM950ADV, hanging on the new Hepco Becker mounts installed on the Tiger.

Other Farkles so far, Triumph Case Guard, Paint Protection Kit, Pro-Taper Contour Pastrana FMX black bars, Cycra handguards, Kaoko Throttle Lock, Grab-On Grips, Powerlet on battery box, Nomad Rider tank bag (allows tank access without removal), Garmin Zumo 660.

The cases, bars, handguards, cruise, and grips were transplanted from the KTM. The tank bag was appropriated from the DRZ. The Zumo has spent time on all three bikes now.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #993
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
My method is I just hold the left handlebar and the left grab rail and lean the bike left. It's pretty much as easy as every other bike I've owned. Oh wait, I'm using the side stand. Hahaha.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #994
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I finally had our new Tiger out for an extended ride yesterday. I've read all the complaints about the stock windscreen, but didn't really think it was all that bad, until I rode 300 miles yesterday. Holy crap this windscreen sucks! I've rear reviews of the Madstad and a couple others, but I'm wondering if anyone has run the VSteam from National Cycle?

It comes in 3 heights, and even the short one provides bigger coverage than the stock screen. I'm thinking about the mid size one.

It looks like it would provide better protection but at what cost aesthetically? I cant get my head around these screens.

Let us know how it works
Old 05-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #995
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
It looks like it would provide better protection but at what cost aesthetically? I cant get my head around these screens.

Let us know how it works
At $350-400, that screen better give the rider a blow job too.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #996
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Put the 40L Caribou bags on and snapped a few shots. These cases are veterans off the KTM950ADV, hanging on the new Hepco Becker mounts installed on the Tiger.

Other Farkles so far, Triumph Case Guard, Paint Protection Kit, Pro-Taper Contour Pastrana FMX black bars, Cycra handguards, Kaoko Throttle Lock, Grab-On Grips, Powerlet on battery box, Nomad Rider tank bag (allows tank access without removal), Garmin Zumo 660.

The cases, bars, handguards, cruise, and grips were transplanted from the KTM. The tank bag was appropriated from the DRZ. The Zumo has spent time on all three bikes now.
Cases look great especially used! How do you like the rack? Non-symetrical right?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #997
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Cases look great especially used! How do you like the rack? Non-symetrical right?
There is an offset on the right side. Best guess it's only an inch or two. Noticeable, but doesn't make it look markedly lopsided. I'm very satisfied with the way these cases fit the Tiger.

The HB rack is nicer than the one on the KTM, because of the quick-release Dzus fasteners. It is well built and doesn't look like it will interfere with passenger foot placement. I like the way it attaches to the footpeg pivot/hanger better than the way some other brands do it.

Those 40L cases are cavernous. I've also got the cube-ish Caribou 35L top box and am on the fence as to moving it to the Tiger or leaving it on the KTM, which will be cleaned up and sold in the near future. The way I found myself using the top box I think a suitcase style would serve me better. I thought it would be used more to store the helmet, though I never have.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #998
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post

Which cases are these? Model# or internal dimensions please.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #999
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
[/CENTER]

Which cases are these? Model# or internal dimensions please.
40L caribou

http://cariboucases.corecommerce.com...on-Straps.html
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #1000
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
It's also Polycarbonate, not acrylic. Polycarb is harder to work with, more complicated process; but acrylic is very easy to break.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #1001
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
It's also Polycarbonate, not acrylic. Polycarb is harder to work with, more complicated process; but acrylic is very easy to break.
Yea I can see that, the stocker is so easy to damage.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #1002
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post

Ummm...yeah...no...

Or...not only no, but HELL NO!

Seems to me polycarbonate is stronger but scratches easier. Lexan is a brand name for poly, right? It's super tough but scratches? Acrylic can be easily polished? Maybe I have it backwards.

I just restored a 110gl acrylic fish tank by sanding the scratches out with 100-1200-1500 grit wet and dry, then buff to polish. Came out like glass. It's the next reef tank.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #1003
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I just restored a 110gl acrylic fish tank by sanding the scratches out with 100-1200-1500 grit wet and dry, then buff to polish. Came out like glass. It's the next reef tank.

Pics or it didnt happen!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #1004
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,038
Quote:
Pics or it didnt happen!
Uh oh, geez, talk about a thread 'jack...

I don't have pics of the 110 yet, but here's my 75 from a few months ago. It's been up and running for about 2 years. And a pic of it when newly setup. Scratch-built cabinet, tank was a salvage, same deal - had to restore it.

browneye screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 04:34 PM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #1005
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Ummm...yeah...no...

Or...not only no, but HELL NO!

Seems to me polycarbonate is stronger but scratches easier. Lexan is a brand name for poly, right? It's super tough but scratches? Acrylic can be easily polished? Maybe I have it backwards.

Bare polycarb scratches easy, but coated stuff like they use does not.

I'm not comparing it to the stock screen, rather many of the other aftermarket screens are acrylic, which is fine, until the first time a rock hits it, or you drop the bike and it breaks in half. Then that $250-$300 acrylic is junk. A polycarb is well worth it to me, as I know it will hold up over time. I've seen too many acrylic screens shattered by rocks on the road and such.