gimme a minute.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #1067
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I would like to know if the center OEM windshield bracket, where I've mounted my GPS, can still be in place with the VStream bracket installed?
The VStream mount hard ware is very well thought out, and uses the stock center bracket. Here are the cockpit shots and a bunch more:

Old 05-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #1068
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,662
Dont be postin' tease shots and not expect us to salivate!!!

Looks better than I thought it would, let us know how it feels when riding...
Dubl-A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #1069
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
You guys are sooo.neeeedy.
gimme a minute.
Okay you waskawie wabbit, thanks for those shots! I think that is a good looking shield on the Tiger!

Now for the vital statistics, what's your height and inseam, for comparison purposes. I'm not planning to buy you clothes or anything like that.

Looking forward to reading more about how it behaves when riding in crosswinds, rain, tornadoes, tsunamis, etc. as you come across varying conditions.

EDIT: I posted over here a few days ago looking for just this sort of information on the VStream.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 02:13 PM
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #1070
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Okay you waskawie wabbit, thanks for those shots! I think that is a good looking shield on the Tiger!

Changing an aggressive looking front to that of a Vespa? Although is does fit the bike, it doesn't really fit the style of the bike.

I guess coming from a ride with no wind screen or fairing, the stock shield is a dream.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #1071
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

I'm 6 foot, with a 32 inch inseam. Mala said she could see the difference in buffeting. When riding behind me with the stock screen she wathced my head constantly being pushed around, and with this it's not. Feels much better as well, and she reports less buffeting in the rear.

Obviously you all have my phone number now as well.

Another advantage of polycarb, you can drill holes in it for custom mounts.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #1072
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Changing an aggressive looking front to that of a Vespa? Although is does fit the bike, it doesn't really fit the style of the bike.

I guess coming from a ride with no wind screen or fairing, the stock shield is a dream.
Just the nature of aerodynamics I guess. Lots of sharp angles and cool looking edges may add to the looks of the bike, but they tend to detract from the experience, IMHO.

If I were only interested in looking at it, or, felt that "it is more important to look good than it is to feel good" (obscure SNL reference), then that would be a matter of personal preference. Such a preference could limit my time on the bike.

I spend a LOT of time behind the bars, and having ridden for decades, my preference is to cut down on dealing with the ever-increasing gravelly noises in my neck that are accumulated over the years by wear and tear due to buffeting, gusting crosswinds, etc.

To me this screen looks better than the Madstad, and, it is polycarbonate instead of the more fragile acrylic.

Muddyrabbit says his passenger noticed how his head isn't being tossed around any more, and, they both noticed reduced noise.

Fatigue and hearing loss from extended exposure to high noise levels is a factor that is often overlooked by most riders. Inside a helmet at highway speeds in clear air (no windscreen) the white noise level is so high that in a work environment OSHA wouldn't allow workers to be exposed for more than a few minutes without hearing protection. (120db IIRC)

If I have to accept a slight Vespa-ish aspect in trade for being able to ride four and five hundred mile days in succession without the additional fatigue and potential damage to hearing, and to my vertebrae, then this aspect of looks is a small concession.

If, on the other hand, I was only riding short runs on weekends with my buddies, commuting a short distance to work, and not racking up the miles, then I probably wouldn't be considering this screen.

Overall, to me, the looks of the bike are still there. This screen blends in with those lines better than others I've seen.

Besides, that screen really ties the room together Dude.

Now where's my Credence?

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #1073
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

I think what many people do not realize (especially if they do not ride long distances) is that if you are getting buffeting wind in the helmet your neck muscles are constantly fighting to keep your head still. You may not realize it, but it is happening. This can cause stiff necks and headaches after a long ride, or simply manifest itself as increased fatigue. Now do a 2 week trip and it adds (piles) up. Over the long term it can also lead to neck damage. Plus e everything Mototex said about wind noise levels.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #1074
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,575
Quote:
I think what many people do not realize (especially if they do not ride long distances) is that if you are getting buffeting wind in the helmet your neck muscles are constantly fighting to keep your head still. You may not realize it, but it is happening. This can cause stiff necks and headaches after a long ride, or simply manifest itself as increased fatigue. Now do a 2 week trip and it adds (piles) up. Over the long term it can also lead to neck damage. Plus e everything Mototex said about wind noise levels.

+1
Much as I hate to drop that kind of coin for a piece of plastic, something has to be done about the stock screen for anything over about 70mph or any head or cross winds. Definitely wears me out.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #1075
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I had a Stebel, the realy was cheap too...I'd get one before you find out how much the switch is from the dealer
How did you go about installing this relay - you've got me paranoid now.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #1076
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:

Been on long rides with my '83 GS750 and it wasn't to bad, BUT, that was back when I was climbing a lot so I had pretty strong neck muscles. I hear you about prolonged exposure and lasting damage and function over fashion is more important the older I get. I'm sure it won't be long before I'm getting a better wind screen.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #1077
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Interesting.
I've been riding no-screen bikes for a while and then sport bike with too little fairing etc.
In my experience...thou I never had mentioned problems - strong neck I guess....problem is buffeting rather than just airstream. On one of my bikes (Hornet) I had to find helmet that was impressively stable in windsteam and that cured problem. One of my friends with Aprilia Futura had to change 2 helmets till he got one, that was not moving too much and did not make weird noises. I think people heavily underestimate impact of helmet being aerodynamically optimized.
I am short guy and for me Tiger touring screen are superb - no buffeting at all. Yes, it makes probably more noise than something else (have not tried) but properly adjusted + good helmet and I can ride 210 kmph sitting straight with no much airstream pressure or buffeting.
On other side increasing screen size will inevitably have impact on crosswinds stability, weight distribution at top speeds and fuel consumption at higher-than-usual speeds (say 90 mph +). So it is very personal choice.
And lots and lots down to helmet.

I honestly did start to fall asleep when tried one overprotected touring bike once (not tiger at all, ST with touring screen). Literally I was falling asleep up to scary levels. Go figure.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #1078
Riot
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Interesting.
I've been riding no-screen bikes for a while and then sport bike with too little fairing etc.
In my experience...thou I never had mentioned problems - strong neck I guess....problem is buffeting rather than just airstream. On one of my bikes (Hornet) I had to find helmet that was impressively stable in windsteam and that cured problem. One of my friends with Aprilia Futura had to change 2 helmets till he got one, that was not moving too much and did not make weird noises. I think people heavily underestimate impact of helmet being aerodynamically optimized.
I am short guy and for me Tiger touring screen are superb - no buffeting at all. Yes, it makes probably more noise than something else (have not tried) but properly adjusted + good helmet and I can ride 210 kmph sitting straight with no much airstream pressure or buffeting.
On other side increasing screen size will inevitably have impact on crosswinds stability, weight distribution at top speeds and fuel consumption at higher-than-usual speeds (say 90 mph +). So it is very personal choice.
And lots and lots down to helmet.

I honestly did start to fall asleep when tried one overprotected touring bike once (not tiger at all, ST with touring screen). Literally I was falling asleep up to scary levels. Go figure.

FARK 210km/h how many RPM
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #1079
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
No idea to be honest... I was too busy watching for cars I was passing in third lane on that highway in Germany :) 210 is what I saw on GPS and what I found later in log file. I can only guess since it is considered top speed for Tiger it would be on edge of redline?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #1080
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

You are very right that a good helmet also helps a lot with buffeting and noise.

However, you may not realize that a LARGER windscreen (properly designed) will help with MPG/fuel consumption not make it worse. If you make the bike more aerodynamic overall less fuel is needed to maintain speed. If you have buffeting, air flow is not smooth around the rider. Get rid of the buffeting, smooth out the airflow, use less fuel.