Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 04:28 AM   #1081
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,270
With profile of bike like Tiger chances of improving Cx (drag coefficient) are slim. However, drag force for complex object have direct dependency on cross section in sq.m.
By installing larger windscreen you very unlikely to decrease drag force because a)you going to increase cross section without changing profile b) your screen will not remove impact of turbulence from bike as object, unless screen goes all way around bike. But it will move zone of turbulence from part of rider body if lucky. Not what actual tests show - there are photos from wind tunnels with different screens, where you can see what is happening. I had one good photo - found it somewhere on Inet, it shows real life flow over 3 different bikes...I will try to find and post it.
If you want to improve aerodynamics you need entirely different kind of fairing/screen including tail section, one like you can find on Busa for example or on F4 and work on cross section area size.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #1082
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
How did you go about installing this relay - you've got me paranoid now.

You can buy a basic relay at your local auto parts store for $3-$5 and wire it accordingly or check out some pre-wired plug-n-play relay harnesses like this:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/plug-...isted-throttle

Super easy install too

Dubl-A screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 10:01 AM
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #1083
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I would like to know if the center OEM windshield bracket, where I've mounted my GPS, can still be in place with the VStream bracket installed?

This is a windshield I've been very interested in hearing first-hand reviews on. I like that it is polycarbonate, instead of acrylic (Madstad, CeeBailey, etc.), especially after seeing this video National Cycle made. Worth the view just for the joy of seeing someone break stuff, shoot stuff, etc.

After seeing first-hand the carnage of breaking an acrylic windshield into fifty or so pieces in a low speed tip-over I would prefer the resilience of the poly screen for any ADV application.

A cockpit view would be nice if you get the urge to take a few more shots.
I would argue that acrylic is a better choice for ADV motorcycle windshields. Polycarbonate is very tough stuff-you can hit it very hard with a hammer and nothing happens. In a fall it is very likely to take out the brackets and attachment points which could be very expensive. Acrylic will shatter before any such damage.

Replacement shields are only around $100. Headlight assemblies, fairing etc are much more expensive.

Finally the acrylic used by Cee Bailey and Madstad is aircraft grade and is pretty thick stuff so they are not fragile.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #1084
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post

Replacement shields are only around $100....
Citation needed.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #1085
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Citation needed.
http://www.ceebaileys.com/madstad/ma...enture_ws.html
Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #1086
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
New Madstad Design for Tiger 800 XC

I ordered the Explorer 20" for my 800 XC but had a problem with clearance due to my risers. I called Mark and he made me this "Explorer Slim" design. Mark also fabricated a new solid front mount to replace the wobbly stock cast aluminum Triumph unit that actually broke the first time I took it on a serious off road..

While the aesthetics of the Madstad are certainly in the eye of the beholder, this particular one seems to blend nicely with the Tiger:

Untitled
vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #1087
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Good enough!
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #1088
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjoosten View Post
I ordered the Explorer 20" for my 800 XC but had a problem with clearance due to my risers. I called Mark and he made me this "Explorer Slim" design. Mark also fabricated a new solid front mount to replace the wobbly stock cast aluminum Triumph unit that actually broke the first time I took it on a serious off road..

While the aesthetics of the Madstad are certainly in the eye of the beholder, this particular one seems to blend nicely with the Tiger:

Untitled
That looks sharp.

I too had clearance issues with the 20" version -- Adventure shape. Mark swapped me out for the 18" that resolved the clearance issue and quite frankly, the 20" was too tall anyway as I was looking through it.

I will consider the "Explorer Slim" if I need to replace the one I've got.

I'm also interested in your solid front mount - any chance you can post up detailed photos?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #1089
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I posted this in the gear forum but since it's Tiger-XC Specific I figured I'd share it here too:

I thought some of you folks might like to see how I've wired up Hobbes, my Tiger 800 XC (one of at least two "Hobbes's" on here, I see! My Jeep is named Calvin though so the pair adventure together ;) )

So here's my deal:

I need -- would like? -- Turn by Turn GPS, Music, and communications between Hobbes and Calvin.

My ultimate plan is to go with a Tork Ridemate or perhaps the Autocom system to link my helmet to a GMRS radio, which will work where we don't have cell reception. That takes care of Calvin-to-Hobbes communication. But music and GPS would mean adding two additional devices, right? Nope! I figure that can be taken care of in one amazing little device -- my iPhone. This poses two problems:

1) Mounting the iPhone in a waterproof way that still allows for music/headset.
2) Powering the iPhone while GPS is running because it sucks battery FAST.

Heres what I did:

First, I got one of these for about $25 bucks at a local outdoors store:

That allowed me to hold my iPhone in a waterproof case, and will also allow me to connect a 3-pole set of headphones (microphone, stereo headphones)

(Note, I do not advocate talking on a cell phone while riding -- however the 3-pole connector allows me to use a "PTT" switch to activate Siri and change songs for instance. A rarely used convenience)

However, that case didn't allow room for power, so I had to cut a hole in my perfect waterproof case. I then sacrificed an iPhone cable (my wife recently upgraded to the iphone 5 and so I had a spare). I melted a hole in the plastic of the case with a soldering iron that would allow me to mount the power cable. Now, inside the case was a bit snug between the angle 1/8th inch audio connector and the power cable, so only the metal of the iphone cable is sticking through. The plastic is sealed again with silicone.

The other end of the power cable runs through the plastic fairing to the under the seat portion, where this is all located:

Under the seat is a small Motomaster-brand power inverter. It's designed to plug into a 12 volt cigarette lighter, like you have in your car. It has both a USB input as well as a 3-prong 110 volt outlet. It's only 100 watts, but I bought it years ago and it wasn't being used for anything else. It's zip-tied to the air intake for the engine so it will be reasonably water-resistant and get good airflow here.

I chopped off the cigarette lighter plug and connected the inverter directly to the battery (the sides of the plug are negative, the tip of the plug is positive).

The downside to this configuration is that I need to take the seat off to turn the inverter on and off to ensure the battery doesn't die -- please keep in mind this is a temporary solution until Powerlet comes out with it's Powerlet-to-USB plug so I can put up with it for a while.

The pelican case is then mounted to my handlebars using a very high tech, artfully designed, and incredibly advanced patent-pending weave of para cord (translation -- I lashed the thing on there with some string).

More pics -- sorry for the quality, it's a bit dark!

Total cost was about $25 bucks for the case and $5 for the silicone; the rest I had lying around. If you needed to buy the inverter, you can get one at west marine that actually looks much better for 30 bucks, so a grand total of $55.00 for powered music, basic comms, and GPS:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1#.UZBzh6tAThh

Or the Targus Slim model from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Watt-Sl.../dp/B000M5U94K

Seems to work well! Heat is not an issue thus far as it gets pretty good airflow up on the bars. Hope this is useful.

Cheers
Craig
IronJackWhitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #1090
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,743
Nice setup and writeup. If I can make a suggestion.... lose the inverter (it's very inefficient, and I don't see why you actually need it here...), and get a $5 cigarette lighter socket and a $2 cigaretter lighter USB adapter at any auto store (try near the car stereo isle). Wire the plug to the battery, leave it under the seat, and just plug the adapter in and be done with it. No need to turn on an inverter, and it won't drain the battery as long as nothing is connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJackWhitton View Post
...I need -- would like? -- Turn by Turn GPS, Music, and communications between Hobbes and Calvin.
Craig
Maybe I'm missing it, but what does the above do as far as 'linking' your two vehicles?
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #1091
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
lmychajluk -

Good idea on that, especially if others plan on doing this kind of a setup. The nice thing with the inverter (besides just having it kicking around = free) is it also has 110 volt output. I can charge up other items with that that don't work on USB like my camera battery or 4 AAs on a charging station for other devices.

As far as linking 2 vehicles it allows me to call cell phone to cell phone -- it's not as handy or at all effective outside of cell range, but it works for now until I have a more permanent solution with a radio.

Cheers
Craig
IronJackWhitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #1092
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Nice setup and writeup. If I can make a suggestion.... lose the inverter (it's very inefficient, and I don't see why you actually need it here...), and get a $5 cigarette lighter socket and a $2 cigaretter lighter USB adapter at any auto store (try near the car stereo isle).
This is one solution - and the cheapest.

I went with this Powerlet to USB solution
http://burnsmoto.com/rigid-powerlet-...harger-kit.php
$32+s/h

You can look at this option to add a dedicated wired in USB power outlet.
http://3brpowersports.com/index.php
$45+s/h

I guess the final option would be to do a little surgery and convert your USB plug to Powerlet
http://burnsmoto.com/deluxe-powerlet...ug-ppl-002.php
$14+s/h

ttime4four screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 02:40 PM
ttime4four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #1093
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

That's cool... just didn't see anything in your post about needing the AC power.

FYI, there's also these things:

http://www.powerlet.com/product/powe...ette-socket/47

You can plug that into your Powerlet plug, and then just use a cheapo USB cigaretter lighter adapter on the one side while still having a Powerlet plug. FYI, I've seen 2A dual USB plugs on Amazon. You can also get a dual-cigarette lighter cable similar to the one above, re-connect the cigarette plug on your inverter (or use a Powerlet plu like ttime4four linked), and then it'll be available 'on-demand' without routing the iPhone power through it. Just a thought...

I'm pretty close to having a working setup with a Kenwood radio, a Garmin Montana, and an Android phone all working through a SENA headset. I just have to get the wiring down and the settings correct to have APRS position beacons show up on the Montana, and it'll all be working. I'm going to play with that a bit when I get home tonight.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #1094
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
FYI, there's also these things:
^^^ I have one of those and a cheap cigarette->USB adapter for charging. Works great, plus I can run a heated vest at the same time.

What about something that you can plug into the dedicated circuit for the Tiger fog lights and then run someplace to mount?

I would like to use that circuit to hardwire in/plug in a GPS when I get one.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #1095
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Do you have the Tiger OEM auxiliary power mount? It adds another Powerlet outlet under the seat and plugs into an existing harness. It's pretty cheap, too...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2