Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #1186
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,325
I tried the Go Cruise and others but my hands were too big and it made the grip too narrow. So I had to take it off, put it tank bag when offroad or in heavy stop and go traffic and then when getting on interstate, pull it out of tank bag, install it, then ride on. it got to be a pain.

The Kaoko is always there and after running around 85MPH for a couple of hours on the interstate with minimal contact with handlebars, I love it. I rode with no hands for a few minutes on the interstate. This and the bar risers made me so much more comfortable. No fatigue, no soreness, just rode on...
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #1187
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
If you're going this route, check out Omni-Cruise:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839403

That looks good too. Wish I had seen it before I got the go-cruise.

Two nice things about this type of throttle lock, they cost a good deal less and you can transfer them to any other bike--unlike model specific devices like Kaoko and Throttlemeister.

Only downside I see is they could stolen quite easily. Might be prudent to keep them in the tank bag until needed.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #1188
ObtuseMoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
It's just a throttle lock, not cruise control.
Not looking for a cruise control level, but something longer than a few seconds of consistency was definitely my expectation as a reasonable ROI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
If everything is perfect (flat road w/no wind), I can set mine to stay at one speed.
This is helpful because as I said, I have not been able to achieve this even in optimal conditions so it is clear your results are different than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
I The Kaoko is always there and after running around 85MPH for a couple of hours on the interstate with minimal contact with handlebars, I love it. I rode with no hands for a few minutes on the interstate.
Thanks; very helpful. Clearly others are seeing better results than Im experiencing. I'll go back and double check my installation to make sure I didn't stuff it up somehow.
ObtuseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #1189
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I finally broke down and got one of these...http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x...-blade-bolt-on
I really hope it works out, I thought there was a windscreen thread but I can't find it now. Oh well here will do...
I have the clamp on version of that - it's pretty much the same item with the addition of a clamp kit.

I like it - the installation instructions leave a little to be desired but overall, I really like it (I closed my eyes when I clicked on Submit when I bought it - it's way over-priced for what it is) - it really has a nifty adjustment mechanism.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #1190
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I have the clamp on version of that - it's pretty much the same item with the addition of a clamp kit.

I like it - the installation instructions leave a little to be desired but overall, I really like it (I closed my eyes when I clicked on Submit when I bought it - it's way over-priced for what it is) - it really has a nifty adjustment mechanism.
Yes it is pricey but this is my 3rd windshield alteration, and this one is the cheapest so far. All of the screens I've bought I've ended up selling here on the flea market. I was actually settling into the stock screen just fine until I started working in this hell hole called North Dakota. It's soooooo windy! I traveled on Saturday with a crazy head wind and I just couldn't take it. I'm planning my iron butt on saturday so I had to do something different.(now wondering if Twisted Throttle will deliver in time) I've got a couple other alteration I'm going to make too but they will be custom... Stay tuned.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #1191
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
been very happy with the givi 1 piece, not perfect but much better than stock
http://www.solomotoparts.com/Givi-Sp...FaYWMgodEEYAqQ

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #1192
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
been very happy with the givi 1 piece, not perfect but much better than stock
http://www.solomotoparts.com/Givi-Sp...FaYWMgodEEYAqQ
that was my first screen change. rode about 50 miles and it came off. over 50mph and it was the worst buffeting ever. hated it.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #1193
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,485
Quote:
Yes it is pricey but this is my 3rd windshield alteration, and this one is the cheapest so far. All of the screens I've bought I've ended up selling here on the flea market. I was actually settling into the stock screen just fine until I started working in this hell hole called North Dakota. It's soooooo windy! I traveled on Saturday with a crazy head wind and I just couldn't take it. I'm planning my iron butt on saturday so I had to do something different.(now wondering if Twisted Throttle will deliver in time) I've got a couple other alteration I'm going to make too but they will be custom... Stay tuned.
I would sure like to find something suitable that doesn't cost $500. The stocker is fine up to about 70 as long as there's no wind. Otherwise there's a lot of buffeting and swirling. It gets really tiresome after a few hours.

EDIT: BTW, here's the windshield thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686867

EDIT 2: The madstadt from the windshield thread seems to get a thumbs-up. I just didn't order one yet, I think they're $300. Ouch. I bought a new helmet instead. ;)
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #1194
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I would sure like to find something suitable that doesn't cost $500. The stocker is fine up to about 70 as long as there's no wind. Otherwise there's a lot of buffeting and swirling. It gets really tiresome after a few hours.
Well that's what I'm hoping the lip helps!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #1195
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
For a facsimile of a cruise control, I use one of these:

http://www.crampbuster.com/

$12 bucks, and allows me to keep a steady speed without any hand cramping issues at all. I can't let go of the bar entirely but I find this works for my needs.

Is there a prize for cheapest farkle?

Regards
Craig
IronJackWhitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #1196
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJackWhitton View Post

$12 bucks, and allows me to keep a steady speed without any hand cramping issues at all. I can't let go of the bar entirely but I find this works for my needs.

Regards
Craig
I have one but on my last long trip I found that my hand kept falling asleep so I stopped using it.
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #1197
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
that was my first screen change. rode about 50 miles and it came off. over 50mph and it was the worst buffeting ever. hated it.
Don't know how tall you are but it works fine for me at 5'10. Speed is not a problem.

Koako throttle lock and barkbusters also works well. No heated grips yet.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #1198
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I have one but on my last long trip I found that my hand kept falling asleep so I stopped using it.
Funny -- I find my hand falls asleep without it just by holding the stock grips. I thought at first it may be my glove is too tight, but it could be the grip is too small (I have large hands) -- but, I don't want to give up heated grips for a wider version!

Regards
Craig
IronJackWhitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #1199
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
Don't know how tall you are but it works fine for me at 5'10. Speed is not a problem.

Koako throttle lock and barkbusters also works well. No heated grips yet.
I'm 5'11". Not sure what my torso height is. I think the kind of helmet is a big factor. I'm glad it works for you. Neither of the Givi's worked for me.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #1200
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJackWhitton View Post

Regards
Craig
These are good for highway. I've heard horror stories about them off-road. I know that my hands move around a lot when I'm riding off the pavement! Just a little FYI