User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #1216
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,790
Revised hiway pegs

Second set of crash bars, went with the Hepco & Becker bars. I LOVE how these worked out. Even with my taller Saddlemen Adventure Track seat & the Triumph Low seat these work great. With the ROX risers and these pegs I almost feel like im riding a cruiser on the hiway.

Just used a cheap Home depot U bolt and threadlock. I also used some rubber to ease the vibration from the bars being directly attached to the motor.

Dubl-A screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 10:43 AM
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #1217
Hammy713
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Blacked out!

So I just got this 2013 800XC. The matte green is so cool, especially with all the matte black on the bike.

I did my Triumph fog lights in matte black too! I installed the Arrow pipe and have the Scout K60 tires coming this week.

Hammy713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #1218
Hammy713
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Blacked out!

Hammy713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #1219
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Look what showed up... Took a ride yesterday after spoonin' them on but took photos with a different camera (Sorry no pics today). Incredibly smooth for such an aggressive tread, some decent howl at 65-75 but that's expected. Absolutely amazing grip in the dirt!!

Metzeler Karoo 3's front and back.
I've got about 1,500 miles on mine and there does seem to be some visible wear on mine. Regretfully, I didn't take the time to measure the tread height after installation. Compared to the Shinko 705's on my DR650, I found them to be an absolute PITA to install. I agree about the howl and the grip in the dirt. Rain performance seems to be quite good as well. May I ask, what pressure are you running in them?

I chose these over the K60's due to some negatives reviews I found on their rain performance.

I wish I could give a little better review but am pretty new to motorcycling and have very little tire experience to compare them against.

2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #1220
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post
I've got about 1,500 miles on mine and there does seem to be some visible wear on mine. Regretfully, I didn't take the time to measure the tread height after installation. Compared to the Shinko 705's on my DR650, I found them to be an absolute PITA to install. I agree about the howl and the grip in the dirt. Rain performance seems to be quite good as well. May I ask, what pressure are you running in them?

I chose these over the K60's due to some negatives reviews I found on their rain performance.

I wish I could give a little better review but am pretty new to motorcycling and have very little tire experience to compare them against.

They look like a great tire. F'ing expensive. What I wanna know is how long will they last...so let's see what they look like in a couple of thousand miles.

My Husky came with Karoo (T) travelers, a tire Metzler just raves about. The front was horrible, pulled it off at 200 miles because it would wash out off pavement, and the rear was burnt at 700 miles. And they are $250 tires for the smaller bike.

Heidi's and mefo's have thier issues, if I could get even 75% of their mileage with a karoo 3 they might be worth a try.

I can buy two sets of Fullbore USA M40/41's for one set of Karoo 3's.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #1221
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:

Good insight even for a novice (as you lead us to believe )

With this heavy of a bike you're going to take a hit on wear especially if you're doing a lot of tarmac even worse 2-up. The stock scorpions which I considered a solid 90/10 tire on my first XC were shot around 5k miles so I'm expecting better off-road traction with these not higher miles. I’ve painfully learned everything is a compromise with my bikes…

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I can buy two sets of Fullbore USA M40/41's for one set of Karoo 3's.
Yea I had those exact tires and they were pretty good. Unfortunately they came nowhere close to this traction for what I push my XC in. The bike is front heavy so you’ll always be fighting that issue but (And it’s a huge BUT) these made a significant difference in the loose-sandy-rocky desert SW landscape you can usually find us in and were surprisingly comfortable on the road.

YMMV
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #1222
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:

BTW, what's up with that rear mud guard setup, details?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #1223
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
BTW, what's up with that rear mud guard setup, details?
Sharp eye!

This is it. http://www.bikebandit.com/2011-trium...4262#sch740122

It's a very simple install and works much better than stock....not perfect, just much better. About the only downside is the loss of two side reflectors....and $29. I first learned of it from a post here at ADV. I believe the part was originally intended for Australia or New Zealand (IIRC).
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #1224
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,427
I tried ordering one of those rear mud guard things a few months ago and BB said they were no longer available....

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #1225
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Sharp eye!

It's a very simple install and works much better than stock....not perfect, just much better. About the only downside is the loss of two side reflectors....and $29. I first learned of it from a post here at ADV. I believe the part was originally intended for Australia or New Zealand (IIRC).
Is that still available? I thought it was a discontinued part?
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #1226
Blumtnman
Rider

Oddometer: 274
Not Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Is that still available? I thought it was a discontinued part?
Definitely not discontinued, its on my 2013 Tiger. I'm due to pick it up on Friday, but it is an Australian bike. You might have to get it from here or New Zealand.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #1227
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumtnman View Post
Definitely not discontinued, its on my 2013 Tiger. I'm due to pick it up on Friday, but it is an Australian bike. You might have to get it from here or New Zealand.
Care to do a group buy for us North Americans?
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #1228
PBee

Oddometer: 8,720
Quote:
Sharp eye!

Standard fitment over here in in Oz.

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #1229
Cabriolet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumtnman View Post

Mine was from here and delivered to the UK.
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560041

Dead simple to fit.

We are all familiar with the standard rear med guard and number plate mount

and from the back. you can see the extender mud guard on the floor ready to fit.

The standard undertray is removed, as the extender is larger and incorporates both a longer and wider rear mud guard section and the undertray piece also. The metal threaded receivers for the mounting fastners are also moved over onto the new guard.

here it is installed... the standard rear red reflector is removed from the sliding mounting assembly, and is fitted directly to the extended mud guard. I found that when I used a screw driver to remove the metal retaining washers I damaged one of them, so it didn't fit tight enough, it fell off and I lost the rubber o-ring. A new o-ring and washer came to less than 3. I guess that's why the washers are listed alongside the mudguard at Triumph, so order them up front to save having to replace the rubber o-ring as well, or just be more careful than I was when removing them.
Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #1230
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabriolet View Post
Mine was from here and delivered to the UK.
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560041

Dead simple to fit.

This is why I love forums!