Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #1336
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
hey guys - I am wanting to put some auxiliary lights on my 800XC mostly to flood the ditches with light at night when Im driving home from work. deer are terrible in my area-I know this wont save me but It sure would help
I love the looks of the triumph ones but they are just fog lights. I would love to find something that size but more of a LED flood type. Anybody been through this already? if this has been covered somewhere just let me know where
otherwise Ill just try my luck with something I find off ebay. THANX
I just ordered a pair of ADVMonster 60s along with the OEM harness/switch. Not sure exactly how I'll mount em yet... Edit: I'm going to mount em with the SWMotech aux light mounting brackets, just ordered a set :).

http://stores.advmonster.com/-strse-...off/Detail.bok

klinquist screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 03:28 PM
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #1337
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by T View Post
20k miles and counting....same industrial strength Velcro and a piece of rubber stair tread.

What's all the oil on your shock?? Over-oil the pre-filter I hope...
Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #1338
Randyincolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Going to install the Rox Risers soon, any suggestions before I start?
Randyincolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #1339
theDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Probably just chain lube gunk.
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #1340
T
default reset

Oddometer: 5,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDub View Post
Probably just chain lube gunk.
Yep. I'm a bit generous with my chain lube.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #1341
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,095
Had my tiger for... oh, 4 days now. UPS just delivered my AltRider rear rack, Givi Trekker 52L, and Touratech folding shift lever.

UPS&FedEx are delivering a lot more stuff in the next two weeks, so stay tuned :).

Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #1342
Flyboy52219
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
hey guys - I am wanting to put some auxiliary lights on my 800XC mostly to flood the ditches with light at night when Im driving home from work. deer are terrible in my area-I know this wont save me but It sure would help
I love the looks of the triumph ones but they are just fog lights. I would love to find something that size but more of a LED flood type. Anybody been through this already? if this has been covered somewhere just let me know where
otherwise Ill just try my luck with something I find off ebay. THANX
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=532

MondoMotos in the Vendor Area....
Old 07-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #1343
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Oddometer: 79
Looking good klinquist! I've got to get that Touratech shift lever one of these days. Love the blue of your bike too!
'75 Norton Commando 850 (Sold)
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)
TigerMarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #1344
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
My rear peg hanger got bent during an off last year. This was just one part of the resulting damage. Most people thought the bike would be written off by the insurer due to the bent frame. Somehow it was repaired and is now as good as new.
I agree. I bent one of the hangers on my Tiger955 (not by much) and just tweaked it back into place using a length of wood. Didn't even crack the paint.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #1345
Cabriolet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Crash bars and hand guards - do they really work?

There is a school of thought that the standard bike, straight out of the box is quite tough.

There are some plastic hand guards to protect fingers from being hit by branches, or stones thrown up from the rider in front, that also offer some wind and weather protection. They should also afford some protection to the brake and clutch levers in the event that the bike is found lying on its side.

The rear brake and gear shift levers (and foot pegs) are made from steel, so they will bend and not snap (like aluminium would), if they hit a rock or rut while riding, or as above, find the bike lying on its side.

The indicator lights are on flexible stalks so that they will bend, if, you guessed it, the bike is found to be lying on its side.

I really like the look of these bikes when they are all modified with factory option and aftermarket parts.
A mate of mine has a fairly standard bike, with only the triumph option skid plate fitted; I have a few extra parts bolted on to mine. We took them for a ride together.

He was smug in his knowledge that he had not spent a load of money on the Triumph engine bars, the triumph LED indicators, the Hepco and Becker tank bars (fitted that morning!), and the SW Motech/Barkbusters covering the Triumph machined brake and clutch levers, I also fitted a set of R&G fork sliders/paddock stand bobbins.

His bike was no less capable than mine, I suppose it just weighed less and was cheaper than mine currently stood.

Here they are together.

Here is mine lying on the ground.
Engine bars, tank bars and hand guards (and I guess fork bobbins) have all done their job to protect the levers (clutch and gear) and the indicators.

Picked it straight back up and carried on.

My mate did exactly the same thing 10 ft in front of me as we set off again. Here is his lying on the floor.

Unfortunately it bent the rear brake lever.

And the foot peg a little bit.

The indicator didn’t stand a chance, and that popped off and smashed the lens.

I know it’s only a bit of dust and any damage is going to be largely cosmetic, the bottom of the fork leg touched the ground.

Not seen is the front brake lever that snapped off completely.

All minor damage in the grand scheme of things, but it did mean that it was not just a case of picking it up and carrying on. It required some roadside repairs to the rear brake lever to bend (using the rear axle nut spanner and extension bar from the standard toolset as a lever) it back into a position where it could be reached, and then turning the bikes around and heading straight home.

I had all the standard parts laying round in the garage from when I fitted the aftermarket and triumph option accessories, so I gave them all over to him to get back up and running again. But if/when he drops it again; it looks like it would have cost him about £100 to fix everything.
It won’t take many more drops and a set of crash bars or hand guards would start paying for themselves.

In my opinion the engine bars saved my foot pegs and gear shifter.
The tank bars saved the indicator.
The hand guards saved the clutch lever
And the front and rear axle bobbins saved the swing arm and forks from any scrapes.

I think that the reasonably expensive price paid to fit all the protection was worth it to be able to just pick up the bike and carry on.
Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #1346
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
those bikes need some better tires

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #1347
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Wiring a power port to a top box

I'll be installing a Pelican case as a top box. I want to install a 12 volt accessory plug on the inside of the box. Are there any recommendations as to how to power it from the fuse block?

I'm an electrical luddite so any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #1348
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
I'll be installing a Pelican case as a top box. I want to install a 12 volt accessory plug on the inside of the box. Are there any recommendations as to how to power it from the fuse block?

I'm an electrical luddite so any advice would be appreciated.
I would wire to the pre-installed connector that would provide power to the auxiliary power port. I believe it is constant hot, though, so if you want it switched, you may require something different.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #1349
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I would wire to the pre-installed connector that would provide power to the auxiliary power port. I believe it is constant hot, though, so if you want it switched, you may require something different.
I have the auxilliary port connected on the side of the bike. I never use it..I guess I could use that.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #1350
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
I have the auxilliary port connected on the side of the bike. I never use it..I guess I could use that.
You could easily tap into the wires by using posi-tap connectors; that would be my preferred method.