Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #1351
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
I have the auxilliary port connected on the side of the bike. I never use it..I guess I could use that.
This kit will have everything to need to get an SAE plug in your case (if you just want to plug into the AUX port):
http://www.powerlet.com/product/lugg...ower-cable/290

Keep in mind that that port is always hot, so if you leave anything plugged in, you run the risk of killing the battery.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #1352
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
those bikes need some better tires
It looks bone dry. No, they need to ride better. However, just turning round was my problem.

As the guy says, with proper protection there'll be little damage. Got it picked up and rode away.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #1353
Cabriolet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
those bikes need some better tires
Would that have really helped?

I know better tyres, if nothing else would make the bikes look much better when they are lying on the side :)
I though that more off-road orientated tyres would just help in mud or loose surfaces like sand or gravel? This was hard packed dry ground we were on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
It looks bone dry. No, they need to ride better. However, just turning round was my problem.
We both did the same thing as each other.
I had stopped to let him catch up after he had closed a gate behind us.
I set off and before getting up to any sort of stable speed, I wobbled into the edge of the wheel rut I was in and the front wheel scuffed down the side of the centre hump of the road and lost balance and the bike fell to the side.
We (stopping for a photo or two of course) picked the bike straight up, and he set off from just behind me in the other wheel rut, and got a couple of bike lengths in front of me, and did exactly the same thing I had done, slow speed wobble and touched the step of the rut and the bike fell over onto the centre of the road.
I think that we both didn't react fast enough to shift our weight to get it back in line and continue down the road. I put it down to inexperience, and maybe with some more confidence we would have been up to a more stable speed quicker.

Would a more aggressive tyre pattern have gripped the edge of the rut and ridden out of it onto the crown of the road? rather then bouncing along the side of it?
Would lowering the tyre pressures have helped at all?
Am I clutching at straws? Do we just need a day of dedicated off road tuition to bring our skills and confidence up to some sort of basic level?
Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #1354
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabriolet View Post

I know better tyres, if nothing else would make the bikes look much better when they are lying on the side :)
I though that more off-road orientated tyres would just help in mud or loose surfaces like sand or gravel? This was hard packed dry ground we were on.

We both did the same thing as each other.
I had stopped to let him catch up after he had closed a gate behind us.
I set off and before getting up to any sort of stable speed, I wobbled into the edge of the wheel rut I was in and the front wheel scuffed down the side of the centre hump of the road and lost balance and the bike fell to the side.
We (stopping for a photo or two of course) picked the bike straight up, and he set off from just behind me in the other wheel rut, and got a couple of bike lengths in front of me, and did exactly the same thing I had done, slow speed wobble and touched the step of the rut and the bike fell over onto the centre of the road.
I think that we both didn't react fast enough to shift our weight to get it back in line and continue down the road. I put it down to inexperience, and maybe with some more confidence we would have been up to a more stable speed quicker.

Would a more aggressive tyre pattern have gripped the edge of the rut and ridden out of it onto the crown of the road? rather then bouncing along the side of it?
Would lowering the tyre pressures have helped at all?
Am I clutching at straws? Do we just need a day of dedicated off road tuition to bring our skills and confidence up to some sort of basic level?
Knobby tyres definitely make a difference ! But you still need to know how to ride off road slow and in control. Try lots of different tyres off road and see the difference. You get way more slippage on a 50/50 than a 70/30.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #1355
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED05 View Post
Knobby tyres definitely make a difference ! But you still need to know how to ride off road slow and in control. Try lots of different tyres off road and see the difference. You get way more slippage on a 50/50 than a 70/30.
+1 Buying a dual sport (DRZ400S) is the best thing I ever did for my riding career. I learn more in a weekend at the local dirt bike park than I do in a year of riding a 'street bike.'
Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #1356
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
+1 Buying a dual sport (DRZ400S) is the best thing I ever did for my riding career. I learn more in a weekend at the local dirt bike park than I do in a year of riding a 'street bike.'

^^ This.

Tiger is the wrong bike to learn dirt on. EXPENSIVE when you drop it, and you will. Plus it's not a very good dirtbike.

Anything more aggressive than a street tire will help, and yes, 22-25psi makes a HUGE difference. The tires will actually bite for traction instead of sliding or plowing.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #1357
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
^^ This.

Tiger is the wrong bike to learn dirt on. EXPENSIVE when you drop it, and you will. Plus it's not a very good dirtbike.

Anything more aggressive than a street tire will help, and yes, 22-25psi makes a HUGE difference. The tires will actually bite for traction instead of sliding or plowing.
Indeed - I now own a CRF230F as well, heh. The DRZ is bulletproof. I crash it at least once every single day that I'm doing difficult dirt. The great thing about the dirt bike parks out here is that you're never far from help or from your vehicle ... gives you the confidence to keep trying different techniques on hard terrain until you conquer it. I've taken several other street riders out to play on my bikes, the first thing I do is take them to a dirt "play area" and we practice "drifting"... street riders aren't used to the rear sliding around and that's the first thing they need to learn.. not to panic when it happens.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #1358
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post

As the guy says, with proper protection there'll be little damage. Got it picked up and rode away.
Is the roadie rear rim a straight swap?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #1359
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabriolet View Post

IMO the tyres you're on wasn't the problem.
Sometimes more rubber in contact with the ground is a good thing. A more aggressive tyre will dig into a loose surface.
A good compromise is what I use :- Heidenau K60 rear with a Mefo Explorer front. I've been scraping the pegs on tarmac in the Alps and Pyrenees last week with these on.

And they were driving me up gnarly wet dirt tracks.

Yes, some tuition would help a lot.

blacktiger screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 04:10 PM
blacktiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #1360
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Is the roadie rear rim a straight swap?
Yes.
Just swap over the cush drive and sprocket carrier and spacers and it slots straight in.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #1361
GuErTTiMe
n00b

Oddometer: 1
My new toy!

i trade my Ducati evo 2012 for this 2013!

Im from the nord of canada.

GuErTTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #1362
Randyincolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Anyone know what to torque the bolts to when installing a set of Pox Risers?
Randyincolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #1363
klinquist
übergeek

Now that I've owned the bike for 5 days...

Just installed the beak..

..and test-fitted the SW-Motech aux light brackets with the ADVMonster model 60 LEDs. I'm still waiting for the OEM aux light relay, harness, switch that I plan to use with the ADVMonsters.

I will paint the ADVMonster brackets black and use appropriate length bolts once it's all permanently mounted :)

Old 07-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #1364
vicvegas
eager beaver

Oddometer: 189
Starting to look good klinq! i like the blue, and i think every tiger needs a beak, it just looks unfinished without one.
vicvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #1365
vicvegas
eager beaver

Oddometer: 189
Well, today my dad and i started our trip from northern Manitoba to deals gap, then were heading up the coast to Newfoundland, we made it to Winnipeg ,Mb today. Nothing exciting but here's my "set up"

vicvegas is offline   Reply With Quote