User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
JohnBoy777 OP
Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer: 888
Best Thermal Underwear/Base Layer

I've been using some no-name base layers over the last few years that're looking pretty ratty now - time for some new stuff.

So what's the best?

Seemes like there are lots of options out there.
JohnBoy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 309
Summer or winter, I wear LD comfort as underwear, long sleeve and long pant. I layer whatever else the weather dictates between that and my outerwear (Stitch).

Summer.... nothing else.
40s - 70s... a light fleece pull over on top of LD Comfort top.
20s-30s.... Add electric vest over LD Comfort top and under fleece pull over.
Below 20 degrees.... Electric liner and electric chaps.

I don't get cold easily, and this works for me.

We are all different, but I bet you would like the LD Comfort. At night you can wash them in the motel room shower or sink, fold them in a towl and ring them dry, then hang them up and they will be dry and ready to go come morning.

2012 R1200GSA, 1985 K100RS, 1975 R90/6

TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,542
I agree with TheRoss. I balked at the LD prices, but bought the top and bottom from a local dealer and the money was well spent. I've only used them in the summer so far, but I wish I bought them last year. When it's 115 degrees outside, the long sleeve LD shirt is the only shirt I own that allows me to stay dry and comfortable when riding. They work great under gore-tex. For winter, I'll just ride with my heated jacket over the LD shirt with my Klim shelll over that.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,406
LD Comfort

http://ldcomfort.com/

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,378
lots of good ones. underarmour, patagonia, cabelas, etc. Lots of materials, synthetics, wools. just gotta find what ya like. personnally, I have used patagonia stuff for a long time, riding, skiing, hiking, backpacking, fishing, traveling. I have shirts that are 20years old and I still wear them and they still perform like new.
I try to buy em cheap though! lots of discount internet places to buy from, no need to pay retail these days.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
My light-weight base layer is Patagoina Capilene.
_________

For mid-weight I just purchased the new Klim Defender top & bottom pieces. - Excellent build quality.

1/4-zip shirt
http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/...age=2/5080-000

Pants
http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/...age=2/5081-000

_________

My mid-heavy weight layer is the Klim Inferno shirt and pants.

Full zip shirt-jack
http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/...age=2/3354-000

Pants
http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/...age=2/3355-000

You can mix or match combos for different conditions, or wear all three layers in really cold weather.

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,035
got a slew of Patagoina Capilene, North Face, etc. technology has advanced so much excellent wicking base layers are found all over. quality wicking fabric is hydrophobic... meaning it will insulate while wet.

heck walmart's dri-star brand performs excellently for dirt cheap. two tests for wicking gear.

1. is it comfortable? could you live in that shirt for a week? ... itchy wool shirts are no longer your only choice.

2. how fast does it dry? high performance wicking shirts will dry quickly on your person. minimum performance is the from washed wet state... hung out will that shirt dry by the morning?

all your wicking gear should meet both criteria ... one can travel around the world with two changes. one to wear during the day... change into clean shirt at night, then wash dirty shirt, which will be dry by morning.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,285
I'm interested in this too. I looked at some Klim gear last weekend and the stuff seemed pretty good. Like for cold weather motorcycle riding, say in the 30's for temps. Those Klim defender pants look like the shit.

BUT I don't want to look like the Michelin Man or spend $$$$ for heated gear.

I use the wicking polypropolyne blue long underwear and it works well, but for keeping the cold air off the legs and feet is another story. I have some skiiing bibs I'm using now.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Turkus
Motorcyclus Unemploy

Oddometer: 22
LD Comfort is the best !!

I've tried a LOT of different base layers and LD Comfort is, by far and away, the best all-around stuff you can get.
Pricey....yes but it serves so many different purposes - it has replaced all 3 different weights of my REI base layers.

Wore the long sleeve under a fleece pullover beneath my Olympia jacket with no liners today and rode to the Rock Store and to the beach - top temps were low 60s with wind. I was plenty toasty and didn't need my heated vest that I brought along just in case. Rollin' Angeles Crest to Wrightwood tomorrow with friends and temps will be in the 40s and I'll be wearing the same thing.

In the heat all you need is to keep them damp as Mario (the owner of LDC instructs) and regulate the airflow in your jacket to keep you cool as a cucumber.

My $0.02
AMA#228900/BMWMOA#147760
Ride Safe....and with a purpose
www.streetmasters.info
Turkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
I've converted more and more to wool except when hot. Merino wool as first layer. And instead of a thick fleece as second layer I put on another thin wool layer and if necessary, a thin inner shell that is ultra thin and light but make a HUGE difference (http://www.thermalshop.co.uk/product...__jacket_black , my favourite gear ever)

If even colder (we are now below freezing point) I, put the liner in the jacket. Even colder (when rellay cold or transport at higher speed it's no way around heated gear. For me anyway, freeze easily.

For hot weather, I'll leave it to those living in hotter areas for advice :-)
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 676
www.ruoutside.com
KingOfFleece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Digitdion
KTM Lover

Oddometer: 70
Merino wool base layer is the only way to go!
Get on the web and read up about the benefits of it. It's all true.
Digitdion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
JohnBoy777 OP
Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer: 888
Klim has some interesting stuff - not a base layer, but this
seemed nice (& understated) so I ordered it:

The LD Comfort and Patagoina Capilene seem like a good option for a base layer.

Here's a similar thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830945
JohnBoy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 336
Not sure what LD Comfort really offers over some of the name brand sports wear like Nike, Under Armor, Reebok, but I've been using the sports-brand stuff for years, heat gear or thermal gear, with great success for motorcycling.

Not sure who exactly invented it first, but now its not a secret art making these things, even the knock-off stuff from Champion (Target) or Starter (Walmart) works really well....in the early days, the Walmart stuff sucked ass.

I remember when the synthetic material hit the market years ago, I used it as a baselayer for ice-hockey and other sports. I never went back to cotton underwear again. Under Armor was the first brand I tried...it was one of the very few at the time.

I would check out the sports branded stuff from your local sporting goods store before buying anything from the motocycle-specific stuff, which are a premium for I don't know why.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
Phineas Whipsnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Costco is selling a top & bottom of Merino wool/ lycra called Paradox. I bought some last year and recently, costs $20 - $25 for each piece. Super comfortable, light weight. Highly recommended.
Phineas Whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote