Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #31
Digitdion
KTM Lover

Oddometer: 73
Merino is a very fine fibre. That means its soft to touch. Not itchy on the skin. No problems wearing it next to the skin, unlike 'normal' wool which is itchy on the skin.
Because of the fine ness of the fibre it's a great insulator when it's cold. But also it's very breathable when it's hot. The manufacturers can make merino clothing to suit all sorts of climate. Super hot to cold.

Also because its a natural product when you are active and do not wash it it does not smell. Synthetics you will stink very quickly if its not washed.

When purchasing merino consider quality vs price. You get what you pay for. Top brands like icebreaker or smart wool will cost more but will last so much longer than cheaper brands.

My experience with icebreaker is that it is worth every cent. Great stuff, and very durable.
Digitdion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #32
Flounder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post

My experience with icebreaker is that it is worth every cent. Great stuff, and very durable.
We sell roughly 400 pieces of Icebreaker a year. We do see more wool pieces, even Icebreaker come back to us with holes. Far more so than synthetics. Natural fibers are just not as durable as synthetic. However, if you don't care for your synthetics properly and damage the anti-bacterial treatments of those garments, as you said, they can reek to high heaven.

I do think wool needs more TLC, but well worth the effort.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #33
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkus View Post
Hikertrash pretty much covered it....and DON'T wear mesh gear - it defeats the purpose of the LD Comfort material. Soak the garments - open up the jacket sleeves slightly at the gloves (wearing gauntlets won't help) and open up your collar "slightly" - the airflow up your arms and out your neck will keep you cool.
It worked VERY well for me (behind a fully faired BMW R1200RT) a couple of months ago when the temps were 90-something in Santa Paula, CA. A couple of years ago in July I hit Redding at 117 degrees at 5:00p.m. - 30 mins later I'm in the shadows of Shasta Lake and I got a chill at 95 degrees.

Anything above 100 degrees and I start to question my sanity and reasons to ride anyway....
Thanks Turkus and Hikertrash! Makes a lot of sense. I've only recently come to the same revelation about mesh gear
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #34
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,078
Kenyon

My favorite is anything that has Outlast. I just love that stuff. I found a company that makes tops/bottoms at a very reasonable price. After it arrived, I realized they were down the road
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #35
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
My favorite is anything that has Outlast. I just love that stuff. I found a company that makes tops/bottoms at a very reasonable price. After it arrived, I realized they were down the road
Jim, so how was the stuff? It's hard to tell one model from the other on their website. What is the collar like on the shirt, large and open or more "mock turtleneck"?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #36
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
Jim, so how was the stuff? It's hard to tell one model from the other on their website. What is the collar like on the shirt, large and open or more "mock turtleneck"?
I don't remember them having more than one choice when I got mine. It looks like they have a couple now. It's like a simple long sleeve tshirt. Very thin. I wear the top/bottom on the bike and snowboarding and stay very warm.

On the bike, I just wore the top under my Warm n safe liner under my Rukka Armas with no rukka liner. In the 30's in NH a couple days ago, riding all day, I never turned the heat more than 1/2. I run pretty cold blooded so I was surprised. Normally, under those conditions, all day, I'd be continuously cranking the heat up since I freeze! as always, YMMV, but keep in mind I'm a southern california boy!
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #37
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Have you tried it in the heat yet?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #38
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
Have you tried it in the heat yet?
Nope.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 11-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #39
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
my choice of base layer, be it hot (40 centigrade plus) or cold (down to minus 15 centigrade) has always been Underarmour on top, either fitted or compression. I then layer according to the temperature. I also have seperate winter/summer outer gear.

As for the lower half, I swear by Saxx underwear.

Both Underarmour and Saxx are what I'd call "technical" clothing, that wick away perspiration, and are, obviously, breathable.

You can get cheaper, much cheaper, base layers but they're just not as good, they don't wick, insulate or breath as well.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #40
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,654
In the cold, I really like the Polartec grid fleece for underlayers. It's light and thin and wicks well, and provides more warmth than you'd expect. I got a couple sets of pants/tights and shirts in that material from the Eddie Bauer First Ascent line on clearance last January for like $10 apiece and most of my other cold-weather base layers haven't been used since.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #41
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,798
Best stuff made...

https://www.goathleticapparel.com/

Great prices, and made in the USA (unlike pretty much everything mentioned in this thread).

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #42
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,479
Summer = Cool Stuff. Colder = LD Comfort. Both good stuff.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #43
JohnBoy777 OP
Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer: 888
Based on the advice here, and doing some research, I ended up with Merino Wool from Terramar at Gander Mountain (mid-weight tops and bottoms)- seems like quality stuff. Time will tell whether or not its as warm or warmer than my old syn. base layer.

Terramar Men's Thermawool Merino Wool Pant: http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...D=GSHOP_431245
JohnBoy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #44
TEWSTER2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Maybe I am missing something with the LD stuff. Got a pair of LD undies to compare with some other ones (Under Armor, Starter) on a ride across the midwest at 100 degrees. The LD felt like I was wearing an inferno that was soaking. Thought I would break out with heat rash. The cheap starter brand from Wal-Mart performed the best at keeping the moisture at bay and cool. Maybe it is just me. The LD will probably work ok in the winter to keep my welly warm.

When it gets cold I wear the LL Bean medium weight top and bottom base layers with my Gerbing jacket liner under my Ralley 3 suit.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #45
JohnBoy777 OP
Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Best stuff made...

https://www.goathleticapparel.com/

Great prices, and made in the USA (unlike pretty much everything mentioned in this thread).
We live in a world economy - everyone needs to deal with it.

My first and only concern is what is best for me and my family.

If US manufactures can't keep up - so long Charley.

The only reason auto makers made such a vast improvement in build quality was because of the foreign competition was kicking their A$$ - they were more than content to stuff junk down our throats prior to that. Think Vega, for one.

The simple truth is, competition breeds better, more innovative, lower-priced products.

Those that can't cut it perish (Darwin's law of natural selection, and all that)

All things being equal - of course I would buy US.

That being said, I refuse to buy second rate products and old technology, simply 'cause they are made in the states.

But that's just me - YMMV

JohnBoy777 is offline   Reply With Quote