ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
DirtRoadSampler OP
n00b
 
DirtRoadSampler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: DirtySouth
Oddometer: 9
Fork Guard adapter for High Fender Mod

OK guys, 1st time post, long time lurker…..

I've been working on this idea of an adapter for the front fork guards and a friend of mine has been helping me. We've made a few sets and finally have the kinks worked out for the fitment. Please remember, this is a prototype and the material they are currently made out of will not work other than for the simple fact of it being a cheap way to produce this idea and trial and error fit up. Now we have what we believe to be the "final" run and I am going to get some estimates done to see what it would cost to have it reproduced in a material that would be more suitable and durable for what we do. I used a set of fork guards from a 2004 KX125 and they have the upper fork slider guide that clamps to the fork. I cut the bottoms off and pop riveted them to my template. I just wanted to share this little project with all of y'all and see what you thought about it. Please keep in mind, it's not finished, and yes I know that the tops of my guards aren't even, but they will be when I finish this puppy.









DirtRoadSampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Eastern WA
Oddometer: 681
I like it a lot. put me on the "list" ;)
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland (I hate DC traffic)
Oddometer: 803
Looks interesting! Good idea! Also make sure you run single or solo double brake lines for safety ;-) What are you planning for the final material?
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
DirtRoadSampler OP
n00b
 
DirtRoadSampler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: DirtySouth
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Looks interesting! Good idea! Also make sure you run single or solo double brake lines for safety ;-) What are you planning for the final material?
I was originally thinking aluminum, but I'm leaning more towards a good pliable plastic. I'm going to speak with a few folks in the coming weeks and see what types of material would be functional and cheaper. For obvious reasons, I think it would cost a Benjamin for someone to machine these out of a chunk of aluminum, so a plastic may be the better option. Also, if the aluminum were to make contact with the ground or a rock it could also cause damage to the mounting locations, such as breaking off the mounting lug.

Opinions are welcome!!
DirtRoadSampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: North CA
Oddometer: 278
I like it!

Ive been saying it for awhile, someone needs to make a high fender kit(fender, brake lines, fork guards) for us that dont have the ability, means, or are just too damn lazy to create and design one of our own... There should be something similar to the kit that touratech sells for the KTM 950...

I even emailed touratech and suggested it to them, they said there would not be enough of a market for it... I disagree..
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
I like it!

Ive been saying it for awhile, someone needs to make a high fender kit(fender, brake lines, fork guards) for us that dont have the ability, means, or are just too damn lazy to create and design one of our own... There should be something similar to the kit that touratech sells for the KTM 950...

I even emailed touratech and suggested it to them, they said there would not be enough of a market for it... I disagree..
Well..... I sorta do. Guards, and half fender combo. A bit pricy though.
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Eastern WA
Oddometer: 681
I think Touratech is probably right, the majority of GS riders don't ride aggressively off road. TT would just end up charging a premium for substandard quality anyway.

Being that the 13's and newer can't use the standard method for going with a High Fender, it's just another reason why they won't do it.

I really like where this build is going. Plastic is definitely the best option for fork guards, you want them to be pliable and if they do make contact with the sliders, you don't want them to nick them. Think of these as a sacrificial piece.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
SteelWind
Impossible Aventurer
 
SteelWind's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Oddometer: 77
I'm glad the printed parts I made look so good on your bike! I'm also glad they didn't break like the last ones.
__________________
Entropy happens... (S2-S1) > 0 ... Always...
SteelWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland (I hate DC traffic)
Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWind View Post
I'm glad the printed parts I made look so good on your bike! I'm also glad they didn't break like the last ones.

Sweet these are printed parts? That is awesome! I was wondering how they were made!
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
DirtRoadSampler OP
n00b
 
DirtRoadSampler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: DirtySouth
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWind View Post
I'm glad the printed parts I made look so good on your bike! I'm also glad they didn't break like the last ones.
You weren't supposed to give away the "how did you make those?" secret.

Of course there was some mock up, measuring, math, 3D modeling, etc that also went into it.
DirtRoadSampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #11
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco
 
Camel ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoadSampler View Post
I was originally thinking aluminum, but I'm leaning more towards a good pliable plastic. I'm going to speak with a few folks in the coming weeks and see what types of material would be functional and cheaper. For obvious reasons, I think it would cost a Benjamin for someone to machine these out of a chunk of aluminum, so a plastic may be the better option. Also, if the aluminum were to make contact with the ground or a rock it could also cause damage to the mounting locations, such as breaking off the mounting lug.

Opinions are welcome!!
They look really good! I was messing around in the shop a few weeks ago trying to roll/form some 1/8" aluminum flat for just this reason. I ended up shelving it.

Machined aluminum might be your cheapest option for manufacturing based on the potential market. Per unit prices for plastic moulded pieces can be reasonable but the cost of the actual moulds for injection are very expensive especially for low production runs.
__________________
Camel Tank auxiliary fuel tank for F series BMW twins. www.Camel-ADV.com

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #12
DirtRoadSampler OP
n00b
 
DirtRoadSampler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: DirtySouth
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
They look really good! I was messing around in the shop a few weeks ago trying to roll/form some 1/8" aluminum flat for just this reason. I ended up shelving it.

Machined aluminum might be your cheapest option for manufacturing based on the potential market. Per unit prices for plastic moulded pieces can be reasonable but the cost of the actual moulds for injection are very expensive especially for low production runs.
Thanks! I know a lot of guys would like to be able to get something cheap that just bolts on with minimal modification, and if we find a good option it may be something that is doable to help out the fellow inmates looking for a simple solution for mounting fork guards. However, I do have concerns about using a rigid material such as aluminum because of the potential to damage the forks in a clash with something. How likely is it? I don't know, but a firm and flexible plastic would probably be the better choice, in my opinion, if the cost isn't too high.

The parts were pretty easy to design. It took 2 of us about 4 hours to take our measurements and 3D model the parts and then SteelWind printed them. The first fit up revealed several changes that needed to be made and it was just a quick edit of the model and another printing of the parts. Currently I'm working away from home so the parts you see in the pics have been laying on the bench prior to Thanksgiving waiting for another test fit. We only found 2 minor changes that needed to be made and now I just have to get off my butt and get some estimates.

I do 3D modeling and work in engineering and construction as well as SteelWind's dad, but SW's dad was telling me about the printed plastic, which I previously had no knowledge of. Anyhow, SW's dad and I made it happen and he did the modeling with a software I haven't used, but it was pretty simple stuff cause I was right there in the middle of it. Anyhow, it has been a fun little project, with the intent of being able to simplify a way to mount and adapt a set of fork guards for the high fender mod. Stay Tuned!
DirtRoadSampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer
 
MCMXCIVRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,207
Not to discourage your endeavor, but the simplest answer is to just use what is all ready there, the stock fork guard with the low fender cut away. I made some simple aluminum pieces to reinforce the mounting points and simply added the brake hose clamps at the top. They have stood up just fine for three years of abuse. Some people were worried about not having the fender for reuse if they wanted to switch back, but it's only about $60 for a complete new fender from BMW.



__________________
Ed

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #14
DirtRoadSampler OP
n00b
 
DirtRoadSampler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: DirtySouth
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
Not to discourage your endeavor, but the simplest answer is to just use what is all ready there, the stock fork guard with the low fender cut away. I made some simple aluminum pieces to reinforce the mounting points and simply added the brake hose clamps at the top. They have stood up just fine for three years of abuse. Some people were worried about not having the fender for reuse if they wanted to switch back, but it's only about $60 for a complete new fender from BMW.
I totally understand and considered taking your approach. As with anything we can always overdo it and sometimes forget to use the "kiss" method. I have no intentions of spending a bunch of money trying to build these parts, but I will put a little bit of my free time and a few dollars into. It's cost less than $20 at this point. The quotes will be the deciding factor.
DirtRoadSampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
SteelWind
Impossible Aventurer
 
SteelWind's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtroadsampler View Post
you weren't supposed to give away the "how did you make those?" secret.

of course there was some mock up, measuring, math, 3d modeling, etc that also went into it.

sorry!!!!
__________________
Entropy happens... (S2-S1) > 0 ... Always...
SteelWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014