User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu OP
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 235
Gerbing repairs? Trades?

So late last winter my right heated glove got kinda wonky, sometimes will work, sometimes won't. I'm not actually sure if it's a problem with the wiring in the right sleeve, or the glove itself, and quite frankly I don't know enough about electricity to trouble shoot it. Anyway, I told myself that I would return it over the summer and have it repaired. FFWD to today, and yeah, I still haven't done it.

Now I've been using the gear again (as it's been in the 30s in the morning), and the heat-troller has broken. The dial just spins around & around and won't run the electricity through the jacket. It will neither turn on or off.

My questions are these: have any of you Gerbing owners ever sent your product(s) back for repairs, and have you been happy with the experience? What was the process?

I went to their website, and it reads to call them before you send them anything, but I called today and the machine tells me they are closed, and it doesn't offer the option to leave a message.

I'll call them again on Monday, when I guess they'll be open, but I'm wondering: why do I have to call first, couldn't I just include a note in the box with my gear?

On an unrelated note: Does Gerbing take trade-ins? My gloves have always been about a size too big (XXL, I should have gotten XL). I wonder if I could trade them in on a new pair and pay them the difference, or should I sell them outright and just buy a smaller pair?

Thanks.
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Old Nuke
Flatlander

Oddometer: 219
Change to Warm & Safe. They take trade-ins.
Old Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,506
gerbings is made in the usa now, and are good folks. Talk to them, the heat troller is likely a loose knob, VERY easy to fix.
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Mudddawg
n00b

Oddometer: 5
They repaired my jacket liner and nothing but good to say about the experience. They also replaced my heat-troller as it was going bad.

I am fortunate enough to be close, so I went in person.

I think they have a couple week lead time for repairs, thus I went there.

Veterans day Monday.. they may not be open.
Mudddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Helped me out over the phone a few months ago. Great people.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
It is better to talk directly to someone about the problem they are having rather than get some rambling message about an issue. Would you take a trade on something like gloves someone says don't work right? I wouldn't. But hey, what the heck.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 823
http://www.warmnsafe.com/trade-ups-from-other-brands/
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
Yeah, call and get an RMA... I lost heat in one glove after 6 yrs. Sent both in and got a brand new pair (pretty sure it was very fast too), it was also Fall two? yrs ago. Better hurry, is only getting colder.

(might have a problem on the controller though... don't think these have lifetime warranties)
Old 11-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,889
Send 'em an email tonite. I was having problems last week, sent them an email last Friday nite thinking I'd hear maybe Monday. I had an email Saturday morning and over the course of a few emails, she helped me figure out my issue by Saturday afternoon.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Spummerr
Voyager

Oddometer: 32
You have a lifetime warranty with Gerbings. Give them a call when they're open. They'll treat you right!!!
Spummerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
+1 Gerbings

I had a problem with my jacket last May and told them that I was in a bit of a bind as I was leaving for a trip south in a couple of weeks. I sent the jacket to them and they arranged for an employee to come into their warehouse on a Sunday to meet me and hand the repaired jacket over to me. Even had the employees cell number so we could keep in touch for timing as I made my way through the border and down the I-5. No charge....lifetime warranty.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spummerr View Post
You have a lifetime warranty with Gerbings. Give them a call when they're open. They'll treat you right!!!
This.

Gerbing's has a lifetime warranty, and they're damn good about it. There's a reason they're the top-selling brand out there.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Spummerr
Voyager

Oddometer: 32
+1 !!
Spummerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
This.
Gerbing's has a lifetime warranty, and they're damn good about it. There's a reason they're the top-selling brand out there.

I just bought a jacket liner and I think the paperwork indicated a one year warranty. I'll have to doublecheck.

I was going to trade in my lousy Tourmaster Synergy liner on a Warm-n-Safe but my local Triumph shop had Gerbing for 20% off; and I was able to try on the liner and make sure it fit. I like that the neck is warmed and that the power lead is long enough to stick out of my gear to use (on the Synergy, I had to create an extender to do this). So far, so good.
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu OP
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Yeah, call and get an RMA... I lost heat in one glove after 6 yrs. Sent both in and got a brand new pair (pretty sure it was very fast too), it was also Fall two? yrs ago. Better hurry, is only getting colder.

(might have a problem on the controller though... don't think these have lifetime warranties)
You are so right, it is getting nothing but colder. So far conventional warm gear has saved my bacon, but I can see that running out.

Also, you are right about the heat-troller not having a lifetime warranty. I believe it was a three-year warranty, and mine is up.

So: is there anyone who can point me towards a good tutorial on perhaps trying to fix this myself? I really don't have $70 right now for a new one... :( Any idea on how or why it would malfunction like it has (the dial spins freely in both directions, and no power comes thru the box to the jacket)? I looked at it last night, and there don't appear to be any screws to allow me to open the "box" up. Are the two halves glued together, or snapped in place?

Thanks.
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote