Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
concours OP
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,382
Fox Creek Leather Jackets made in Pakistan?

Even with the American Flag sewn to the lining, I heard from someone in the industry that they have shells made in Pak, then add linings here. This, within the last 6 years. Bears investigation...
Old 11-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
blackripley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
According to their site made in the USA (http://www.foxcreekleather.com/about/usa) but it does not say where they source the raw components. I'm inclined give them the benefit of the doubt unless proven other wise.
blackripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
flying_finn
motomessiah.blogspot

Oddometer: 146
This sounds quite believable with there secrecy where in the US of A its produced.

You have to wonder how they can beat the prices of other US made leathers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Even with the American Flag sewn to the lining, I heard from someone in the industry that they have shells made in Pak, then add linings here. This, within the last 6 years. Bears investigation...
flying_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Some of the best leather products come from Pakistan. Of course, if you can get a jacket from Argentina you're really living but still, if you make the claim...

Here's what the regs say: http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/usajump.shtm
[NOTE: Leather garments are not required to be labeled.]

"THE STANDARD FOR UNQUALIFIED MADE IN USA CLAIMS
What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?
For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be “all or virtually all” made in the U.S. The term “United States,” as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Co- lumbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.
What does “all or virtually all” mean?
“All or virtually all” means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content."
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackripley View Post
According to their site made in the USA (http://www.foxcreekleather.com/about/usa) but it does not say where they source the raw components. I'm inclined give them the benefit of the doubt unless proven other wise.
+1

The above link lists the states in which they manufacture and each item manufactured domestically is clearly labeled "Made in USA" on their website. Given that Fox Creek are so unequivocal about manufacturing here I would be very surprised if that was not so - their existence would be at risk if that turned out to be untrue.

It's a completely different story with Vanson, "America's leading producer of high quality motorcycle apparel" (according to their website). I ordered a leather jacket (model Corsair) from them about 18 months ago and when I received it, it had a "Made in Pakistan" label inside! The jacket is still available but they have since amended the description to include "This style is imported and not manufactured by Vanson" – never mind the large Vanson shoulder patches…

I understand that most of their leather garments are now made in El Salvador so keep in mind that the "America" in "America’s leading producer…" may no longer mean USA.

In any case, I got rid of my Vanson jacket and have since bought a Fox Creek Leather Vented Racing Jacket. I couldn’t be happier.

hhkiwi screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 09:49 PM Reason: Typo
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I talked to the people at Langlitz leathers (Portland OR) a while back. They claim that producers in cheap countries will stick just about any logo in apparel, including "made in USA". They have a list of brands that are suspected or known to employ such deception. There were a few well-known names on the list, including Vanson. The post above suggests that perhaps Vanson has now updated their labeling?

Anyway, don't trust labels too much. They can be bought.

FWIW, Langlitz *is* a safe brand. Of course, it's also $$$ :).
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote