User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
soderholmd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Buell 1125cr

Looking to purchase a mint 1125cr with an FMF exhaust as a street fun bike. Low mileage / mint for around 6k....

Being that they are be longer in production, will that be a concern getting parts etc down the road?

Also - reliability - good / bad and opinions on them are appreciated!

Thanks!

soderholmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Being the proud owner of a Buell, but not the 1125, I will admit that future parts availability is a concern for me. Many of the Buell guys don't think it will be an issue. I guess we'll have to see. I have no plans to sell my Buell as a result of my concerns, though. I love riding it too much. And it really hasn't broken so I haven't needed any parts yet.

I have ridden the 1125cr and found it a very fun bike to ride. I wouldn't mind one myself, but I am really more of a sport-tour rider and not a sport bike rider.

Really, at the rate that so many on here seem to go through bikes, I doubt you will need to do much to it before you are ready to sell it. Unless you are one of the guys like me that buys and keeps bikes forever.

Good luck to you regardless.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
soderholmd OP
Adventurer

Thanks DS!

I currently have a Wee that I ride for my commuter / touring / ADV bike. The 1125 will be for fun!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
HD promised to make parts available for 9 years (all of them and at what capacity? Normal retail or warranty only? I don't know) EBR has a number of perfomance parts available for the 1125 models as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
As a Buell owner for over ten years now...

Actually HD agreed to 7 years of post-closure parts and service... and the clock started ticking at November 2009 essentially.

A few things to keep in mind:

1) There is a large community of Buell fanatics, at least here in the US... so if you want used parts I wouldn't worry too much.

2) If you have a WARRANTY ISSUE, which you probably won't have because warranties are expired by now... expect a big headache from 90% of the dealers you will deal with... and yes, I can name the good ones.

3) After November 2016 we have no idea if HD will sell off the patents or not... knowing HD, they will want too much for them for any sane after market parts to be produced en masse.

Lastly, if you want to ask these questions on a Buell board, that for the most part is ok as long as you stick to technical questions, just PM me and I can send you a link.

Charlotte

HeyWhatever screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 04:59 PM Reason: Too negative... I love my Buell...
HeyWhatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,606
I think HD said (when Buell closed) that they would support models for 7 years after MFG. I don't think engine parts will be an issue, but bike specific stuff might. The aftermarket usually steps up when there is a need...Bad weather bikers is a must forum.

I had a CR for a year with the high bar kit. It was fast, fun, and handled like no other bike I had ever rode. I would suggest you trying it out first as it might not meet your needs. It's quite a handful with all that HP in a small, light package. It is quite 'frantic' with a lot of mech noise and those huge air inlets just below that cover near your helmet. It lets you know that a bike is down there...
Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
I liked the 1125CR a lot. It was on my shortlist until they discontinued the marque. I wouldn't buy one, because I always buy with the intent of keeping it forever (that's why I'm on a Ducati that I bought new 19 years and 200K miles ago). That said, though, for a more normal guy it might be worth the risk. The engine is a Rotax, so even if HD drops the ball eventually, the major mechanical parts could still be made. As with any other bike, the brakes and suspension and so on were supplied by other companies, and also thus can be supplied without HD's involvement. For $6K, it would hard to lose. Go for it.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,205
I don't think parts are going to be a significant problem for these bikes. Between American Sport Bike, Twin Motorcycles, and Erik Buell Racing, you'll pretty much be able to buy anything you need even after HD stops supporting them.

Be aware that the main issue with 09/10 1125's is the stator. The OEM setup will eventually fail. HD came out with a recall wiring harness and ECM reprogram but it has not proved out long-term- the stators still fail. EBR developed a modified rotor with a cooling oil jet which is what they use on the EBR 1190RS and Twin Motorcycles makes a similar part. Apparently the permanent fix is to get your stock rotor rewound with wire using a higher temperature insulation and install the modified rotor. I believe Twin Motorcycles is currently selling a kit with everything you need. There's an entire separate 1125 sub-forum on Bad Weather Bikers about this issue. It'll set you back somewhere around $500 for the parts for the permanent fix.

That's not cheap, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if I really liked the bike.

The only other significant issue with the 1125's was leaky clutch slave cylinders; I believe HD eventually issued a good fix for this so hopefully that's been taken care of on your bike. If not, you can get the parts from any of the suppliers mentioned above for less than $100.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
Be aware that the main issue with 09/10 1125's is the stator.
You can also go BACK to the '08 stator and cover. They attempted to 'fix' a problem that was elsewhere by boosting the stator output in '09. The '08 bikes didn't have failures.

Lots of gents are rewinding the stator with decent results. The MFG 'fix' was to cut out part of the stator when not needed to help out with heat load, but that didn't prove to work, IIRC.

$6k is still a fantastic price on a low mileage CR...photo love:
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
soderholmd OP
Adventurer

I think I may just have to go for it. Its only got 3800mi on it and has the high bar kit already installed on it. I raced CBR1000rr's and Rc51's, so the power is not a concern as far as control etc.

It would be nice to have a little more raw of a bike option to have summer fun on to complement the Wee....

Ever since I rode a lightning X1 back around 2000 and then bought a VFR instead (Hey - it WAS the yellow one...!) I've wanted a Buell. This just might be my opportunity!