Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #16
uconnapharm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
the 3 Harley's I have owned ,
'98Sportster,'99Sportster & 2000 Dyna FXDX
I always had to have
BOTH mid-bike controls and foot forward controls
around the city I used only mid-bike controls as I enjoyed riding aggressively ,
whereas on the highway , foot forward controls relieved by back pain.
uconnapharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #17
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,915
Cannot stand forward controls. The only exception is the footboards on my '80 FLH. Along with the pogo seat they work well.

Another I could tolerate was the Softail Rocker. Surprisingly rideable and hadled well for what it was. Wouldn't buy one but they were fun to road test after working on.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Homo sapiens, out on the steppes and in the mountains, didn't have foot-forward controls on their wild horses.

Our ancestors didn't hunt mammoths sitting back on their asses.

We were hunched, ready, willing ourselves into battle.

What was the question again?
Ahhh...but they sat back on their asses after they got done whopin some
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #19
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,852
I have had off-and-on lower back problems since tearing a muscle in my left lower back when I was a teenager, and have avoided riding anything with forward controls based on other people's comments about how they kill your back. Actually, I avoided cruisers altogether, for that and functional reasons.

Within the last year or so, I have ridden my cousin's Star Raider several times, for about two hours at a time, and was really comfortable. The scooped-out shape of the seat is almost like having a mini-backrest that kept my pelvis from rotating back, keeping my lower back straight. The seat is also large enough to give a lot of support on the back of my thighs, spreading out the load very well. With a small shield, I could tour on that bike. Honestly, I was surprised at how well the bike worked as a motorcycle; not as compromised as I thought it would be, given the way it looks.

Would I own a bike with forward controls? Yeah, but not the Raider. Don't like the chopper styling. I do like the Triumph Thunderbird Storm (have ridden a T-Bird SE), and the Harley Fat Bob. With the right seat, forward controls would be fine for a cruiser/weekend tourer for me. My 6'4" tall 36" inseam frame likes the legroom. The only adjustment I would have is the time it would take to get used to finding the pegs when pulling away from a stop.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
RevyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
strecth the legs...

I ride a 98 Harley FXDWG, it has the stock foot pegs and I have highway, or forward mounted foot pegs as well. I am not sure that I would be comfortable with just forward controls as I need to change up my riding position on long trips. I also like to have my feet on the stock pegs when I am getting into any tight curves or where a concieved requirement of techincal riding may be present. I feel that I have better control of the bike with my feet below me, versus in front of me.

I like to ride long distances and find my body just needs to change up positions and/or to strecth out my legs, (34" inseam....). I also like to stand-up occassionally to further stretch for short periods at lower speeds. I have not tried foot boards, don't know how they would be??

Sometimes on long trips on the highway, particularly freeways where one is unlikely to require immediate response, I will hook my heels over the passenger pegs behind me, again this helps to strech out the legs in a different position, ...a change is as good as a rest sometimes.

My last bike was a DL 1000 V-Strom with stock foot pegs, ..kinda wished I would have had "highway pegs" on this bike to stretch out.

Bottomline, ..I don't know that I would want to be restricted to just forward controls.

98 HD FXDWG
Revelstoke, BC.
RevyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #21
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Went from a GSX 600r to a Road King. Not as far forward as many cruisers. Took a while to get accustomed to it. Now, I am beginning to truly rip along (for a Harley anyway). Hard edged bumps can be a problem, otherwise nice and comfy. With the right seat, which is highly subjective, it can be very comfortable.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #22
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
There must be something wrong with me because I switch between my sportbike, harley and dirtbike very easily. While each is completely different I am comfortable on each. I'm not a big fan of forward controls, extended forks or apes but I've had them all without any problems. Ya just have to know the bike you're riding and ride accordingly. Ride the bike ya like.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
There must be something wrong with me because I switch between my sportbike, harley and dirtbike very easily. While each is completely different I am comfortable on each. I'm not a big fan of forward controls, extended forks or apes but I've had them all without any problems. Ya just have to know the bike you're riding and ride accordingly. Ride the bike ya like.
After reading the posts here I was thinking the same thing.

Seriously, is riding a motorcycle that hard that one cannot adapt to control locations within a few minutes at most.

I consider myself a decent rider but there are far more who are much better than me but I just don't understand how it could be hard or confusing going from rear sets, to mids, to forwards and back. Comfort not wisthstanding, as long as your not racing if you can flex and extend your ankle sufficient enough to operate the gear shift and rear brake there should be no problem with feet positioning.

I have more issue with torso positioning when transitioning from leaning back on the Road Glide to upright on the DR 650 and to leaning forward on the XR1200 but that has more to do with core muscles and comfort than anything else......btw, rode all 3 today.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #24
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,915
I don't think it's about the ability,more about comfort and ease of control. I ride everything every day and must adapt to different positions.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #25
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,560
Being able to stand up occasionally during long rides is very important to my comfort level as is standing on very rough roads. Also leaning forward with feet under me is a much more comfortable position in the twisties. A few years ago I bought a mid size cruiser with forward controls because it was a deal but never could get comfortable on it. I'm most comfortable on a standard bike.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #26
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post

This is me, 34 years ago, it hurts just to look at the picture now. I will NEVER, EVER ride a bike with forward controls again.

Classic pic!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #27
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
I am comfortable with Standard foot pegs below me. Feet forward feels ackward and out of control.
That said, I do like the low seat and low center of gravity offered by Harley and other cruisers. While helping my friend with his Road King, I was sitting on the bike and I could balance the bike on the tires for almost a minute. My Moto Guzzi would be off balance in 2 seconds.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #28
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
I switch back and forth between a Night Train with 4" extensions on the forward controls and a GS/A. No issues. I can, and have, Iron Butt on either bike (and I'm 44).
Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #29
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,430
I ride my wifes Harley enough to know forward controls are not for me, I'd rather have rearsets than forwards.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #30
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I learned early on while riding Harleys that you can't balance well (or at all, for that matter) with your feet stretched out in front of you. I made controls that put my feet directly under me when I built my last Harley. Much easier to control and s mentioned, gets the weight off of your tailbone for a more comfortable ride.

When I see these guys today with their feet splayed out & their hands above their head I just laugh. But then, that's just my opinion--they must think it's cool....

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote