User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
limeymike OP
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
Throttle lock Screw ?

Was the throttle lock screw intended to be used as a cruise control or just for maintenance uses? I just found out my R80 has one. It's not easy to get to while riding, anyone using it on the highway?
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
Was the throttle lock screw intended to be used as a cruise control or just for maintenance uses? I just found out my R80 has one. It's not easy to get to while riding, anyone using it on the highway?
I always set mine so the throttle will not return by itself and just leave it there. Much easier on my Arthritic old wrist.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,170
Set and forget. That's been my method. You do adapt to it.

That said, over time the setup will wear where the screw meets the throttle, and eventually it won't work so well. That might take a few years though.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,313
mine is missing on R80G/S ... didn't know it had an throttle adjustment screw
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
limeymike OP
Who Me?

BMW part - 32 72 1 230 874 About $10 from Max's or any dealer. It's located under the throttle assembly on the right bar, look for a knurled nut. I've had my bike a while and never knew it was there.

limeymike screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 06:34 PM
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
limeymike OP
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
I always set mine so the throttle will not return by itself and just leave it there. Much easier on my Arthritic old wrist.
That's the problem I'm having on longer trips, my hand will start to go numb and then when I stop . . oh the pain.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
I have had the throttle locking screw on all my BMWs for the past 30+ years. Basically set it so that the throttle does not return on it's own. Have to actually twist the grip back. Works great, especially for long distance riding. Use it for a few rides and you get used to it real quick. Have yet to wear out the throttle sleeve on the handle bar on any of them. Just remember not to screw it in too much. Just needs a light touch, enough to stop the springs from closing the throttle, but not so much that twisting the grip is stiff.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,247
I've been riding in the cold some lately. My hands are painfully curled up and I can't straighten them for some time. I think it would be worse except for the Airhead Cruise Control. Bob's counter person told me that the one I got was not OEM. It looks just like the OEM. Works the same too. Set and forget is right. But once in a while I tighten it up or loosen it some. The throttle tube wears funny and the cruise control doesn't provide the same tension every where. But it still seems to work. You get used to it.

There used to be another style after market one some years ago. It had a lever that provided a cam action to the nylon center piece. One way was on and throw the little lever it was off. I haven't seen those in some time. They were a little better because they could be on or off quickly

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
Throttle lock? Damn!
No wonder I can't see anything outa my mirror.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
disston....Is that the Vista Cruise....or something like that? Thumb lever that pulls a band tight to hold the throttle. My old Gold Wing has one of those and it is a welcome relief to the right hand when riding long distances.

My R75/6 has one of the knurled knobs with a spring to hold it's adjustment, if I recall correctly. So the end of the "bolt" just drags on the throttle tube? I just never looked at it too much to really know if it was more involved. The engineers must have not been too bored that day

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,247
The Vista Cruise sounds like something else. The one I remember went in the same threaded hole as the OEM throttle Lock. It just had a quick release lever included. Maybe can't picture it but it worked.

The nylon center part that actually rides on the throttle tube wears and they should be cleaned once a year or so. I had to buy a new one once but I guess they do last a long time.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
The lever device that you guys recall which is fitted instead of the throttle friction screw and provides an on/off friction option is the “Flip a Lever”. This design has not been made commercially for some time, but examples frequently turn up on the used market.

One of devices that are available which can add friction to the grip via a bar end screw adjustment is the Throttlemeister http://throttlemeister.com/ (I have a set on my 1993 R100R), but there are other manufacturers that offer similar products.

The Crampbuster http://www.crampbuster.com/bmw-motor...-less-than-11/ is another approach to solving the same problem (the similar Throttle Rocker seems to be out of production).

Current Rides: 1974 TR5T : 1993 R100R : 1994 R100RT
Past Rides: 11# 1970s BSA/Triumph Singles & Twins : 2# 1970s CZ 125s : 1985 BMW R65 : 1976 Moby X7
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #13
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
my throttle lock bolt is in my tool box as i never use it. i wont my throttle to spring back so its safer going in long lines of cars.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #14
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,402
half a million miles on various airheads ALWAYS with the throttle lock screw set. anytime I ride someone elses bike, I damn near go over the bars when I relax my grip in the gas!!

just been riding with it so long that I can't ride without it. when I bought my klr, first thing I did was install a cheapo cruise control thingy, and when I get my new wee-strom, that will agian be the first thing I do to it.
bikerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #15
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,867
Everytime someone rides my bike, they comment on how the throttle is sticking? Most are airhead owners. I've had one on the 2 airheads I've owned, and couldn't go back. Fred rode my bike last week and had to loosen it, then it fell out and I lost it Totally felt weird to ride without, but I always have a spare
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote