User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
jearnshaw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Anybody wearing snowmobile gloves?

In mist of my frustration without spending money on electric gloves I am considering trying a set of snowmobile gloves from a local shop. There are asking a fair price and the size's run big so I could wear a set of summer motorcycle gloves under them for protection in case of a accident.

If it helps I bought a set of BMG winter gloves and when I first got them the temps outside where 35-50 degrees out and they worked great but it is now dropping below 30 in the mornings and night and within 15 minutes of my commute my finger tips are hurting and just plain cold.

I did pick up a set of fleece liners and I can only get a few extra minutes before the cold sets in.
jearnshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Mad_Jack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Snowmobile gloves

I used them for a number of years, until I got a pair of motorcycle-specific winter gloves a couple years ago.

Thinsulate-insulated, reasonably warm, reasonable protection, reasonable comfort. They weren't pre-curved so they were a little stiffer than I'd have liked. Biggest complaint was a limited amount of leather in the palm and inner finger area; hands wanted to slide around on the grips and I had to squeeze harder. Led to tired handes after a couple hours.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,145
NOT SO FAST... there are lots of snowmobile gloves that aren't very warm! Because... sleds have had heated grips for decades. They are on most all sleds. They are reliable (mostly) so, it's more like motocross riding in cool weather. Be sure they are WELL INSULATED. The palms are usually not really well insulated.. to facilitate thermal conductivity from the heated grips. I have some Reima brand Gore-Tex with Primaloft insulation.. VERY WARM!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,958
I wear motorcycle gloves on my snowmobile

But yeah, I have a pair of heavier Klim sled gloves I wear on the bike when it's real cold. Less protection than moto gloves, but with grip warmers on the bike i'm good to well below zero with them.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
winter gloves

I thought I would be smart and buy mountaineering gloves like you would have climbing Everest. Yep, real real warm, but, had the problem like one of the earlier posters who said the gloves separate inside from outside so you have to hold on real tight. Went to electric gloves like I should have in the first place. Of course if I climb Everest, I all ready have the gloves.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote