User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
Okeedokee
Tiger Lover

Oddometer: 83
Tiger 800 XC Seats

I'm just starting my search for a new seat, and also just found this sort of old thread. Has anyone had experiences with other seats not covered here already? (Or is there another thread covering this?)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
2011 KTM 300-XC "Blazin Orange too"
Okeedokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
gusutavot800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Like most of you I also hated the stock seat on the tiger, but had a hard time justifying the price of a new seat, until a stop at my local dealer they had the Moose Racing seat, which they let me borrow for a couple of hours.

Extremely comfortable, it was like going from the floor to a lazy boy, the seat was $309.99 plus taxes, great seat the only drawback is that the seat area for the driver is covered with a "suede like material" and when it rains you can wipe it, on the plus side under the sun it only take about 10 minutes to be fully dry.

Overall I think is one of the cheaper seats out there, granted I haven't tried any other seat, for the money it is definitely worth it.

Just my 2 pennies
Old 10-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
www.greatdaytoride.com for seat rebuild.

www.kingoffleece.com for wet sheepskin
After reading another thread about folks using sheepskins I followed a link from there to your site.

I was surprised to find that the KoF product is only a $100 rain cover, rather than something that includes a fleece or sheepskin padded layer.

It would be hard for me to justify the expense of this cover plus the cost of a quality sheepskin, rather than bumping up for a custom seat with a waterproof seat cover.

Have you considered making a total solution? It sounds like you may have the resources for manufacturing something like this.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #19
CPORet
I Am Kirok!

Oddometer: 241
Try these guys:

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com

Got my sheepskin from them, $60 plus another $6 for the nose strap (worth it!) & shipping. Made all
the difference in the North Carolina summer. It's real sheepskin, and if you take care of it properly
it will last and retain its natural water-resistance. This really helped on the 100 - 200 mi days.

Just did a ride from WV to Orlando, and by the time I got to Orlando, my rear was so sore I didn't
want to even think about the ride back. And this was after I added a 1" foam pad underneath. Yeah,
the stock seat is that uncomfortable on long rides. So, 1/2 way back I stopped in to a shop and bought
an Airhawk 2. Boy, did that ever make a difference. Once you get the air volume just right, long rides
aren't so bad anymore. Not perfect, but tons better.
CPORet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #20
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
I love my Alaska sheepskin buttpad.

Probably the best upgrade I did to the bike. With this installed, I no longer sink into the seat. Another issue with the bike is that the fuel tank prevents much airflow downstairs. Couple that with a soft and deeply dished seat, and you've got a recipe for monkey butt. This pad fixed that too. My biggest day was Missouri to Minnesota (about 12 hours the way I went). No issues. Felt like riding when I got home but it was getting too cold for it.

As far as rain riding goes, I just unsnap it and toss it in my top box. It comes off in about 1 second. Since I seldom do 400 mile days in the rain, this has never been an issue. Heck, a lot of the time, I'll just leave it on and keep on riding. My Aerostich Darien pants have never leaked.

I will have one of these on every bike I own from here on out.
2013 Tiger 800XC

Seventy One screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 09:52 AM
Seventy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Well after a long distance trip I have to do something about the seat. This damn thing kills me after a few hours of constant riding. I am considering an air hawk but worry about it being too thick. Kontour wants quite a bit of cash for rebuilding the seat. Others I have looked at make the seat wider which is no good for off road due to standing. What have others done?

Shape it yourself for next to nothing.

I flattened mine out so I would not be sitting on the boys, then added gel under the foam on top of the pan. Best seat I have ridden on to date and it was free.

You'll get the general idea

I then used this technique for the pillion seat, then added memory foam as the top layer. I even shaped the pillion with "Cheek form" haha

Completed:

Dubl-A screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 11:12 AM
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,658
the alaska L pads are high quality. I have one of those I use a lot on all kinds, but I also have three other sheepie's that I made. There are some outfits out there that raise sheep and sell pelts from them - the one I got is exceptionally high quality - the entire pelt, in natural color [sort of a gold beige] was about 10 bucks above the price of one of the alaska leathers.
figured out the shapes I wanted, took it to the shoe guy, and for a few bucks he cut and sewed on attach-loops [nylon strap loops]
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #23
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Alaska sheepskin and King of Fleece cover. I had one on my 1050 Tiger for over 25,000 miles and it saved my keester. I now have it on my 800 XC. This is a quick and relatively in expensive fix.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
Couch_ninja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
+1 on the Alaska Leather folks. Their customer service is awesome, they have a quality product that actually works and incredibly fast shipping. Barb is top-notch! Couldn't be more pleased!
Couch_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
Rubberlegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
My only complaint with the stock seat is that there seems to me a lack of air flow. After a few hours of hot riding you get a sweatty bum. So I baught a
Beaded seat pad from beadrider.com. 60$ or so. Made the seat air flow much better. Also made the seat easyer to move around on, and if my butt get's soar, i can rock around and give myself a butt massage.

I should note that I ride pretty long distances. I usually go at least tank to tank without taking a break.

Yesterday I did a 948k ride in less than 10 hours. All on the stock seat.
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #26
Beachfinn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Inspired by the thread I contacted Spencer at Greatdaytoride, here's his reply. Posting here, because, the expertise and price seem to meet well. This is the way I am going to go.

Quote:
Sami,

The typical requests for your Tiger 800xc seats rider section would be to reshape it internally for more rearward bias, with increased support, and to better distribute your weight across the entire seat rather than concentrating it on the crowned center without effecting the nose shape so you will still have freedom of movement in the twisties and enhanced position and comfort. This angle correction will help allot with the slide to the tank under braking.

The basic modification includes reshaping to your specific dimensions for better support and to correct the angle and shape to relieve pressure points and any specific problem areas that you may have. You do have a seat that can accept the Supracor suspension material included in the LD modification. This is a lightweight "honeycomb" like material that does not get hot in the sun, does not harden in cold weather, and will probably outlive the seat. It is used to form a suspension between the seat pan and reshaped seating area to provide more form fitting support and better weight distribution for longer distance comfort. It also reduces vibration in the seat and dampens road shock without changing the seat height or effecting the shape modification. With this seat it really is the better choice and makes a big difference given the shape of the 800's dual section seat pan and its already thin stock material. Supracor is not a gel, you can find more information about the material HERE.

The passenger section modification is similar but on a smaller scale. It concentrates on them needing a position that keeps their weight stable, and because of them having less contact points with the bike, a position that gives them more confidence and control over their position during braking and in turns.

Pricing would usually be the standard minimum for a two piece seat of $50 for the actual work to the rider section, a $25 material charge for the Supracor, and $25 for the passenger section when done together. Your original seat covers will be re-installed after my work is complete and all of my work is done within the original seat form, creating a new internal shape and supporting structure. If you can tell something has been done by just looking at it I have not done my job.

A photo of you in riding position are helpful and appreciated but not an absolute necessity. Each seat is set up specifically for the rider so any additional information you think I may need regarding your position, type of riding, any medical concerns you may have should be listed in the special instructions area on the order form. When you think you have given me too much information, just a little more should be about right.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #27
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Spencer's mod is inexpensive and a big improvement. I had mine done last winter. It totally transformed my Bonnie. An improvement on the tiger, but still dished some, close with seat height positions varied front and rear. Did 1500 miles in 3 days a couple weeks ago with no real issues. Overall ergos on the Tiger still not perfect for me. Double risers in combination with the seat mod also helped.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #28
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Seats

Quick question for you tiger 800 seat experts out there. Is there a difference in shape between the stock seat and the triumph gel comfort seat? Or are they the same, one just has gel added. Also anyone have any experience with the touratech seat?
The Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote