ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #31
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput13 View Post
I was trying to find a picture approximating (maybe something like a modded orange r90s) what your bike might look like as described but no luck. My guess though is that visual impact would be greater if you also stuck with orange on the front fairing and maybe added more black offset elsewhere.

Whatever you choose I love what you're doing and look forward to seeing more.
thanks for backing me up Kaput - legend.

Yea i was thinking that too - but i didnt want to "over do" the orange you know? thats why i stuck with the nose being black

i was thinking of making the light bucket orange as well - and the bucket mount ears black that would add a bit more

i have now also decided to get the hubs of my wheels powder coated black :) so that should help with the off set of black/orange
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6

Hearse screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 10:04 PM
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #32
alex117
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Oddometer: 18
Frame Improvment

I did two frame up builds and the best thing I did was frame bracing. It make the bike handle well and costs little compared to the effect! Look up HPN on the web and just copy what they do.
alex117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #33
tenderfoot
PRJ
 
tenderfoot's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Gauteng, RSA
Oddometer: 1,446
Something like this will look good !!

tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #34
TINK
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 676
Project-s

Say Hearse,

Check out my PROJECT-S, think you're going where I've been > http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684054

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #35
Ctscrambler
2010 Scrambler Black
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Central CT
Oddometer: 37
Thumb Amazing work

Wow, can't believe how much work you've done in such little time. Really is inspiring. Keep up the good work.
Ctscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:05 AM   #36
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Thanks for backing me up boys - I got all my spray gear today, guns, filters etc...I'll grab my paint during the week....then paint next weekend, long weekend. Do you guys have tips on laying paint, I.e.

3 layers of colour base coat, wet sand with 800 grit once dry, 5 layers of clear, wet sand with 1200 then buff/polish? Should I sand between clear coats? My amounts of coats good? More?less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Say Hearse,

Check out my PROJECT-S, think you're going where I've been > http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684054

TINK
Mate I'm on pagev11 so far, looks mean what you have done...I'll hit you back when I get through it all...might have some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctscrambler View Post
Wow, can't believe how much work you've done in such little time. Really is inspiring. Keep up the good work.
Ta scrambler, I love this project eh....so much fun. Just can't wait to be gunning around flying the airhead flag high
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
Something like this will look good !!

Dude I love that orange, what kind is it? I was thinking of "electric orange" type "electric orange xr5" in to google, I reckon that with a deep black on the guards and bikini fairing, mean!

Any ideas what fairing I can use on the rear that won't go under the seat that I can use?
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #37
tenderfoot
PRJ
 
tenderfoot's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Gauteng, RSA
Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post

Dude I love that orange, what kind is it? I was thinking of "electric orange" type "electric orange xr5" in to google, I reckon that with a deep black on the guards and bikini fairing, mean!

Any ideas what fairing I can use on the rear that won't go under the seat that I can use?
Stolen off the Ritmo Sereno site. Lovely bike !!
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #38
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Hey guys - so the big run up to paint day! well at least for the orange coloured parts!

So I high filled and sanded my tank, seat and light bucket with 800 grit - its all smooth like glass, absolutely LOVE IT. I'm going to paint all of these parts with the electric orange

The colour for reference:


The high filled parts:








Got myself a water filter and regulator for my compressor


All the tarps/cover alls/masks/gloves etc ready for the paint


and my spray gun! cost me $130 and is has the three different nozzles - feels like a real good quality one (from what i know) so i hope it will do the job!
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #39
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Next step:

1) I am going to build a rear fender eliminator like Chris' (boxer metal) and build my battery tray/seat pan during the week out of alluminium
2) its a long weekend here in Aus this weekend, so I will get my spray on and paint my gear above
3) need to obtain some light bucket ears that have a gap in-between the tube mounts so I can fit some clip on's in there
4) i am also going to strip my wheels of their spokes and powder coat the rims black and re lace the wheels with some new shiny spokes

Questions:

1) which clip on's are the best? I believe i require 36mm
2) best way to paint my gear - how many layers of base and then clear? sand in between my base and laying the clear? sand 1200 grit after laying all clear? sand in between clear coats? I know the guy at the paint shop will give me a run down but i would like others advice as well

more pics as the week progresses

Cheers guys!
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #40
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kaput13's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 432
Have no good answers to your questions but there is a blog by Brooke Reams called "1975 R75/6 Build - "S" Model R with good self painting tips. Looking looking forward to how this goes. I'm thinking of doing my own painting too. If yours looks good might also do a day glow boxer. Go Hearse!
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #41
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput13 View Post
Have no good answers to your questions but there is a blog by Brooke Reams called "1975 R75/6 Build - "S" Model R with good self painting tips. Looking looking forward to how this goes. I'm thinking of doing my own painting too. If yours looks good might also do a day glow boxer. Go Hearse!
:-) thanks Kaput! I will let you know how I go mate, I promise there will be heaps of pictures when i get my paint on

I have googled and found the thread - i will have an epic read right now

rock on guys! \m/>

Waz
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #42
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Anyone have ideas how to get my seat key lock barrel and steering lock barrels out? I don't have the keys for them :(
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #43
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kai Ju's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
Anyone have ideas how to get my seat key lock barrel and steering lock barrels out? I don't have the keys for them :(
Here you go, everything you ever wanted to know about fork locks.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/lock/index.htm

The seat lock should be relatively simple once you take the lock off the bike, IIRC.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #44
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign
 
Hookalatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
Thanks for backing me up boys - I got all my spray gear today, guns, filters etc...I'll grab my paint during the week....then paint next weekend, long weekend. Do you guys have tips on laying paint, I.e.

3 layers of colour base coat, wet sand with 800 grit once dry, 5 layers of clear, wet sand with 1200 then buff/polish? Should I sand between clear coats? My amounts of coats good? More?less?
You may have already started spraying so the advice may be too late. First, your have to follow the paint mfg stated requirements regarding compatibility etc. They will also have specific recoat times times between coats and when clear can be applied. Normally the basecoat is applied just to cover everything. More coats do not help unless you have to sand. If the clear is applied during the correct time window no sanding of the basecoat is done. You can put as many coats of clear as you want. If you are going to sand and buff 4-5 coats should be okay. Unless you have really bad orange peel you probably can start with 1500 and you need to finish with 2000 or 2500 for it to buff out perfect.

I am actually not a very good painter but I have gotten pretty good at fixing my mistakes.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #45
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
Here you go, everything you ever wanted to know about fork locks.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/lock/index.htm

The seat lock should be relatively simple once you take the lock off the bike, IIRC.
Mate - this lock is doing my head in, I'll have a crack at it tomorrow night. Thanks heaps for the website, I'll have a looksie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
You may have already started spraying so the advice may be too late. First, your have to follow the paint mfg stated requirements regarding compatibility etc. They will also have specific recoat times times between coats and when clear can be applied. Normally the basecoat is applied just to cover everything. More coats do not help unless you have to sand. If the clear is applied during the correct time window no sanding of the basecoat is done. You can put as many coats of clear as you want. If you are going to sand and buff 4-5 coats should be okay. Unless you have really bad orange peel you probably can start with 1500 and you need to finish with 2000 or 2500 for it to buff out perfect.

I am actually not a very good painter but I have gotten pretty good at fixing my mistakes.

Chuck
Hey Chuck, havent started painting yet so you are in time :) :)

Thanks heaps, I will have a good chat to the paint guy and get my head around the job, and if i get it right I will post my steps here for others
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014