User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
FireStrings85 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
R1200GS on the TAT

I want to do this ride in the near future, has anyone done it on their R1200GS? How did it go - bike more than capable?
FireStrings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStrings85 View Post
I want to do this ride in the near future, has anyone done it on their R1200GS? How did it go - bike more than capable?
I posted something similar in trip planning a while ago, I want to do it on my 1150GS, the responses varied from "Have fun, its going to get difficult out west" to "You're gonna die". My reason for doing the ride on the GS is simple - I live in New England. Riding a TW to Tellico and then home from Oregon? No thanks - it'll be just as much suck as the western TAT would be on the big bike.

If you want to see what a big bike is capable of with a heavy load, look up LittleWan's ride reports. She and her husband have done a lot of off road travel two up on their KTM 950 (now 990).
Old 11-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Oldwin1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
If the weather is good you will be fine. If it is raining in the east and dry in the west you are going to die.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Depends on your skill level

As you have probably already read, the ride has been done on just about every bike, small to big. The issues you will face will be based on your skill set. The ride is not very challenging as rides go. It has its sections of deep sand and steep rocky pass climbs and descents but overall on a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate it as a 6-7. However, as you should know, the bigger the bike the bigger the challenge areas become.

I don't ride that many times in the year. I did it on a 530EXC - not a small bike but not anywhere close to a GS or Adventure. We only did the western half - so most of our challenges were the deep sand sections, which while challenging for me was certainly doable. For guys that ride a lot and have a lot of experience they should do fine on the big bikes, but it is still going to be challenging. We saw a couple doing 2 up on a 990 Adventure go by us in the other direction and were blown away by the idea but again, it goes to your skill level.

Remember, there are several areas where you can jump on the highway and go around the nasty stuff.

I hope that helps and have a safe ride. We can hardly wait to ride it again.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
MountaineerWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Echoing everyone else, depends on your skill level and the weather.

Off hand I can think of two places a large bike might be very difficult to handle.

1 in Utah and 1 in Oregon.

The black dragon in Utah, I think would be difficult on a large bike. Do a search and there are plenty of pictures/descriptions.

There is one part in Oregon that I think I rode it on the very last day before hitting Port Orford, so very close to the finish. It's a very, very loose rock uphill climb with a right hand turn about half way up.

Those two stand out - but there were a few sections in Nevada that were challenging a well.
US Army 2006-2011; Ansbach, Germany 2007-2011; Iraq 07-08 & 09-10
MountaineerWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopaca View Post
As you have probably already read, the ride has been done on just about every bike, small to big. The issues you will face will be based on your skill set. The ride is not very challenging as rides go. It has its sections of deep sand and steep rocky pass climbs and descents but overall on a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate it as a 6-7. However, as you should know, the bigger the bike the bigger the challenge areas become.

I don't ride that many times in the year. I did it on a 530EXC - not a small bike but not anywhere close to a GS or Adventure. We only did the western half - so most of our challenges were the deep sand sections, which while challenging for me was certainly doable. For guys that ride a lot and have a lot of experience they should do fine on the big bikes, but it is still going to be challenging. We saw a couple doing 2 up on a 990 Adventure go by us in the other direction and were blown away by the idea but again, it goes to your skill level.

Remember, there are several areas where you can jump on the highway and go around the nasty stuff.

I hope that helps and have a safe ride. We can hardly wait to ride it again.
That couple you met on the 990, that was likely Bigwan and his wife, Littlewan. They are members here and have done many ride reports about their two-up off road travels.