ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
cuonawv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
NORCAL Winters... One piece or two for a commuter suit??

I've searched all over and found varying bits of advice on what's the best type of suit is to commute in.. One piece or two..

I'm commuting on a 800GS through the typical Sonoma Coast fog and 30ish temps for roughly 30 minutes. I'm currently using 10 year old "stay-puff marshmallow" suit, one piece - no armor. The suit is literally disintegrating more at every use..

I want to upgrade, but not sure if I want to continue with the one piece suit, or just buy some nice pants to go with my new jacket.. I really like the Aerostitch one piece, but they don't look at all insulated - so that won't work.. Leaning now toward a First Gear Thermo - but I would really want a bit of armor.

Any opinions as to what works better for water proof, cold resistant and longevity??

2012 F800GS
cuonawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Sam,

You might want to do some searching in the 'Equipment' section.... lots of clothing discussions there. I have a pair of First Gear HT Overpants that I like through the winter. I work part-time at The Motorcycle Shop, 3383 Airway Drive in Santa Rosa. We can order pants for you....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/firstgear/ht-overpants/

Brian

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
whutner
Adventurerer

Oddometer: 17
T-Shirt, Jeans and slip-ons year round for me baby. its exhilarating in the winter
whutner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I've never tried a full suit (they look heavy and hard to put on) but if you're looking for good winter pants, I'd look at Sliders Quest 3 kevlar pants. They're very warm, almost stifling if the temp is over 60 - 70, and that's without the liner which looks like it would take you right down to icing temperatures.

Competition Accesories is blowing them out for $100 because the quest 4 just came out.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kev...terproof-Pants
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
cuonawv OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Stan View Post
I've never tried a full suit (they look heavy and hard to put on) but if you're looking for good winter pants, I'd look at Sliders Quest 3 kevlar pants. They're very warm, almost stifling if the temp is over 60 - 70, and that's without the liner which looks like it would take you right down to icing temperatures.

Competition Accesories is blowing them out for $100 because the quest 4 just came out.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kev...terproof-Pants

I like the Quest pants and definitely dig the price.. but I really want something waterproof - The morning fog is so brutal up here, I get soaked almost every morning from just the fog..

Initially, I was looking at the AS Roadcrafter, but I don't think it offers much insulation and is pretty much just a shell of an armored oversuit.

Then there's the FirstGear Thermo, but no armor..

I may end up a 2pc combo just to find something waterproof, insulated and armored..

2012 F800GS
Old 11-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,449
heated jacket with heated gloves is the ticket inside one piece Aerostich. which has to be one of the best combo's for nasty weather riding
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
CRW
I dont want a pickle

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
heated jacket with heated gloves is the ticket inside one piece Aerostich. which has to be one of the best combo's for nasty weather riding

I swear by my one piece Aerostich. Even with out heated gear. Good layers is all it takes.I also swear by my Patagonia R1 layers And very important to be warm before you get on the bike!!!!!!
CRW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutner View Post
T-Shirt, Jeans and slip-ons year round for me baby. its exhilarating in the winter
T-Shirt and jeans??!! Sheesh, are you kidding?? This is California! I find that all I need is my Polar Buff, Gore-Tex gloves, and Uggs.

(P.S. I hope you all know that I am kidding...)
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,858
60-mile commute from Sac to Fairfield, all year long. One piece Aerostitch that's over 13 years old. Seam seal and wash-in treatment helps keep the heavy rains from penetrating. I've also discovered to watch out how the front "buckles" while in the sitting position. Make sure it's tucked in a way to prevent collecting rainwater and putting it in your crotch. Heated jacket liner and heated grips is all I use keep you cozy and not feeling like a Stay Puff Marsh Mellow Man.
'04 R1150RTP "cop motor, cop suspension.."
'00 XR650R Dual Sport "Lil' Mule"
'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.

"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Santa
Focused on the Future

Oddometer: 1,387
Aerostich one piece for 12 years now.
I commute Oakley to SSF so I know what you mean about the fog.
I find the one piece is warmer than my two piece suits.

The suit is warmer than you would expect and with proper layering
you will be comfortable in any weather you may find in Ca.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
obadiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
60-mile commute from Sac to Fairfield, all year long. One piece Aerostitch that's over 13 years old. Seam seal and wash-in treatment helps keep the heavy rains from penetrating. I've also discovered to watch out how the front "buckles" while in the sitting position. Make sure it's tucked in a way to prevent collecting rainwater and putting it in your crotch. Heated jacket liner and heated grips is all I use keep you cozy and not feeling like a Stay Puff Marsh Mellow Man.
Mine is 50 door to day. I wear my stitch for colder 8 months out of the year. Not expensive if you consider an almost daily use that is amortized over 5 to 10 yrs and pays for itself in your first god forbid off. People that complian about donning or removal time have never tried a stich. They are faster than a 2 piece. I can't recommend a stich for NorCal highly enough.

Obadiah
Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
cuonawv OP
Adventurer

So, I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new AS Roadcrafter.. -

I'm curious about sizing though. According to the website, I'll fit between 40 and 42R..

BUT, I plan on wearing this over my standard BDU uniform. Are these online size recommendations taking into account wearing normal clothes underneath?? My waist jumps from a 34 to a 36-38 if you take into account my uniform pants.

Sooo, should I get the 42 or consider jumping to a 44?? Anyone have any experience with AS sizing?

For reference, I'm 5'10" 180lbs, 34" waist and 40R jacket.

2012 F800GS
Old 11-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,645
Call Aerostitch and talk to them about your needs. They'll take care of you.

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
cuonawv OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
Call Aerostitch and talk to them about your needs. They'll take care of you.

I'm going to call them on Tuesday (assuming they're closed this weekend/monday). However there's one ending on Evilbay on Sunday that I think "may" fit.. I'm just trying to get some idea of the sizing.

I can't get over the value retention of these things.. 12 years old and still 60% of retail.. That speaks volumes to me..

2012 F800GS
Old 11-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,749
I prefer the Darien. Never really liked the feel of the "coverall" that the Roadcrafter provided. When seated and wearing the Warm and Safe jacket under, I could feel the tension of the Roadcrafter pulling down on my shoulders and the cord from the W&S cutting into my shoulder. The Darien allows separate movement. Think of wearing a coverall and try to work behind the dash board of a car, either you can't lift your arms high enough, or you start talking like a soprano and not like the gangster type. And yes, I contacted Aerostich about it and they said it was the right RC for me. Neither is insulated or lined. You may want to look into the Teiz, we have an inmate in the vendors section.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote