ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #61
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,490
I have had 5 VW's from a 1989 Jetta Wolfsberg (one of the best cars I have owned) to a 2007 GTi. I But like others, there have been a couple of misses. a 2001 Jetta I bought brand new was probably the worst of the bunch with everything from the AC compressor to the window motor to the rear brakes getting smoked in the first 10,000 miles. I still love VW's. I have had more good than bad and the good ones have been quite good. The GTI is by far my favorite and I think best bang for your buck for a "driver's" car.
__________________
EastSideSM: '06 950SM Black
EastSideSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #62
A-Bone
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Wait till you have to do maintenance on a S4....
A co-worker of mine is helping her 17 year old son buy a B6 S4 (yes, the one with the V8)... I cringed when she told me and promptly told her stories of my buddy that has a B5 S4 and how can not keep the thing out of the shop as awesome of a car as it is (truly, probably my favorite car I have ever driven)...

I explained that my buddy is a contractor that does very well for himself and though the repairs are expensive, he can afford it and feels that it is just the cost of owning such a fun car. I went on to say they might be getting into something that will be much more problematic than they ever would have imagined, but then she went and did the unthinkable: she test drove it..... Throw all logic out the window because as we know.. they look great, drive like a muther-fucker and who wouldn't want one based solely on a test drive... and hey.. it's only $11k... and that is a lot of car for $11k

The son is 'paying' for half with the money that has been gifted to him since he was born (birthdays, x-mas, various other holidays) and the mom is taking out a loan for the other half...

Son has no job... can't even pay for insurance.. so how he is supposed to pay off the loan is beyond me... Because he isn't 18 he can't even be on the loan... so I'm sure in his mind, it's his mom's problem...

Once the car is purchased, he has no money.... as in.. he spent it all buying the car... and again, without a job, has no means to pay for gas, let alone repairs...

The S4 (black on black) has 100k miles, has no mainteance records, has had at least three owners, been in an accident and was just repo'd by the bank before being put on the dealer's lot with a dashboard lit up like a christmas tree with sensor warnings (ABS, airbag and CEL)... Ohhh.. and it needs a set of tires before it can even get a sticker (the son 'figures' they'll be around $400 for the set )

Did I mention it is a stick and he doesn't drive stick???

As a bad omen: they were supposed pick up the car from the dealer last week but as part of the P&S agreement they asked that all repairs associated with the Festival of Lights that comprise the dashboard be repaired... Dealer said OK.. but is now $1800 into the repairs and is waiting for a part to arrive from Germany that may or may not fix the airbag sensor issue.. Beyond this, the dealer said that if this doesn't fix it he is done putting money into the car and will 'give them their deposit back' cuz he can't make any money on it from here on out...

Now mom is wondering if this was such a good idea...

I hope it ends with a kid driving a bitchin car that has no issues for the next 100k... but I think those are pretty long odds...

A-Bone screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 10:54 AM
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #63
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler
 
Barnstormer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
I hope it ends with a kid driving a bitchin car that has no issues for the next 100k... but I think those are pretty long odds...


Pray that the dealer can't get the part.
Barnstormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #64
A-Bone
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post


Pray that the dealer can't get the part.
Was just talking to the mom.. that's what she's feeling..

Sucks.. cuz she's a peach and just wants her son to have a cool car...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #65
Dukeryder
 
Dukeryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Was just talking to the mom.. that's what she's feeling..

Sucks.. cuz she's a peach and just wants her son to have a cool car...
WOW! She's going to get stuck with either a lawn ornament or the kid will wreck it before the first $2,000 repair bill.

My Dad owned the original S4 (20V Turbo I-5) which was regarded as the Reliable S4 (10 years ago) and he probably spent $1000+/yr in maintenance on that car. And it was a 1 owner car that was religiously maintained not a neglected P.O.S. like this kid wants.

There's so many other cool cars out there for $11K that won't require a few thousand a year in maintenance. The Mom should spend that money on college and have the kid buy his own car for $5K.
__________________


Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #66
jdiaz
.
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Flyover State
Oddometer: 32,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Yup. I had to go flapping my gums.

I'm in NJ and wife is in NH. Check engine light came on with a flashing glow plug light. Car runs and drives, but roadside assistance said they'll tow it anyways. We'll see what we're up against.

At least it went 11,000 miles before it had a problem- that's our record so far!
Prayers sent.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #67
A-Bone
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
There's so many other cool cars out there for $11K that won't require a few thousand a year in maintenance. The Mom should spend that money on college and have the kid buy his own car for $5K.
The truly suck part is the kid was just given a Ford Ranger with only 40k on it his grand father had owned since day one.. garaged..maintained.. from central FLA (so zero rust)..

Its a 4 cylinder base-model 2wd.. so not anywhere near as cool... I get that... but how many chicks can you pick up with a broken down car???

With any luck they are keeping the truck for when the car breaks down, but I'm sure he'll sell it for gas money and repairs...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #68
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!
 
adam_c_eckhardt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Live Free or Die
Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Prayers sent.
Ahhh THERE you are. This is your fault, you know!

(They said it's an EGR valve, had to order it in. This means she's driving my truck around, which is not great for the marriage. )
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #69
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 1,277
it would be cheaper for her to buy the kid an old corvette, and I love my VW
I had an 84 vette, was fixing it constantly but you could at least buy 99% of the parts at autozone
__________________
1996 Harley Tour Glide
1998 Honda Helix
1989 Honda Pacific Coast
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #70
Guano11
Half Decaf
 
Guano11's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: One coffee bean, two coffee bean....
Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
...as part of the P&S agreement they asked that all repairs associated with the Festival of Lights that comprise the dashboard be repaired... Dealer said OK.. but is now $1800 into the repairs and is waiting for a part to arrive from Germany...
Removing the bulbs woulda fixed that light show a lot cheaper. Just sayin'.
__________________
Guano11
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #71
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 18,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
A co-worker of mine is helping her 17 year old son buy a B6 S4 (yes, the one with the V8)... I cringed when she told me and promptly told her stories of my buddy that has a B5 S4 and how can not keep the thing out of the shop as awesome of a car as it is (truly, probably my favorite car I have ever driven)...

I explained that my buddy is a contractor that does very well for himself and though the repairs are expensive, he can afford it and feels that it is just the cost of owning such a fun car. I went on to say they might be getting into something that will be much more problematic than they ever would have imagined, but then she went and did the unthinkable: she test drove it..... Throw all logic out the window because as we know.. they look great, drive like a muther-fucker and who wouldn't want one based solely on a test drive... and hey.. it's only $11k... and that is a lot of car for $11k

The son is 'paying' for half with the money that has been gifted to him since he was born (birthdays, x-mas, various other holidays) and the mom is taking out a loan for the other half...

Son has no job... can't even pay for insurance.. so how he is supposed to pay off the loan is beyond me... Because he isn't 18 he can't even be on the loan... so I'm sure in his mind, it's his mom's problem...

Once the car is purchased, he has no money.... as in.. he spent it all buying the car... and again, without a job, has no means to pay for gas, let alone repairs...

The S4 (black on black) has 100k miles, has no mainteance records, has had at least three owners, been in an accident and was just repo'd by the bank before being put on the dealer's lot with a dashboard lit up like a christmas tree with sensor warnings (ABS, airbag and CEL)... Ohhh.. and it needs a set of tires before it can even get a sticker (the son 'figures' they'll be around $400 for the set )

Did I mention it is a stick and he doesn't drive stick???

As a bad omen: they were supposed pick up the car from the dealer last week but as part of the P&S agreement they asked that all repairs associated with the Festival of Lights that comprise the dashboard be repaired... Dealer said OK.. but is now $1800 into the repairs and is waiting for a part to arrive from Germany that may or may not fix the airbag sensor issue.. Beyond this, the dealer said that if this doesn't fix it he is done putting money into the car and will 'give them their deposit back' cuz he can't make any money on it from here on out...

Now mom is wondering if this was such a good idea...

I hope it ends with a kid driving a bitchin car that has no issues for the next 100k... but I think those are pretty long odds...
It'll be up on blocks in the front yard within an month as the kid saves for the first oil change.

Wasn't there a thread about upscale white trash a while back. This would be the very difinition even if they are not white.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #72
A-Bone
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
It'll be up on blocks in the front yard within an month as the kid saves for the first oil change.

Wasn't there a thread about upscale white trash a while back. This would be the very difinition even if they are not white.
I'll be sure to let her know...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #73
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 435
Ha, my daughters boyfriend told me last night that the check engine light is flashing, the car is shaking when it starts and white smoke is coming out the exhaust!

Yeah, VW is quality alright!



Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I haven't heard anyone mention the windows falling down due to the cheap ass little plastic piece on the motor regulator that holds it up. Another one of those "common" problems because every dealer in town stocks the entire inside door panel that you have to replace.

I'm a two time loser, bought a 99 Passat becasue it drove so well, had amazing interior space and felt so quality built. We put several thousand into it before finding someone silly enough to buy it and then we got a 2001 Passat wagon to replace it.

Happiest day of VW ownership was sticking it to the dealer on a trade-in for a Honda Pilot. Over five years with only routine maintenance on the Honda.

My daughter's boyfriend just got a 2003 Passat for his first car. I just smiled....that kid doesn't realize the fun he has in store.
__________________
Buncha dirt bikes with license plates.
tntmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #74
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer
 
kobudo28's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: New Hampster. Live, Freeze and Ride.
Oddometer: 5,860
One of my tech's has an A4 turbo. He just did the required timing belt/water pump/pulley/tensioner job, plugs, oil and filter, screw on 4 mounted snows, load test the battery, check the antifreeze.....out of the shop for just under $1200.00.

They had to take the whole nose of the car off to get the pump, etc.
__________________
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
kobudo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #75
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,309
Just get whatever you want, and buy a comprehensive after market warranty from Warranty Direct. I'LL NEVER buy another used car without doing that if the car qualifies. I bought one for the 2005 focus I just got as a commuter car and for a 60month 60K mile very comprehensive warranty it cost me less than a grand. I had one on my hot rod 1995 Taurus SHO and that warranty saved me $5400.00 over the cost of the warranty in three years of ownership.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014