Thanks..... appreciate it.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #47
mellowdave
Красное октябрь

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
After spending too long talking with the biker headed to Baja I mounted back up and kept heading south. Plan was to go into San Francisco, hang out for awhile and take some pics. Weather was getting fairly hot and needed an extended break. Always interesting in SF. I could spend all day just watching the freaks and weirdos walk by. Place has got quite a few of them. Although maybe they think I'm the freak for riding around on a motorcycle. I guess it takes all kinds to keep it interesting.

Found a bar with some parking for bikes and just hung out for a couple of hours. Nice open air bar for a cold one and a great viewing spot.

Someone in SF doesn't like our postal service. Never have understood people that vandalize others stuff.

Hi boys. Nice purses.

Mounted back up and kept working south. Took a wrong turn somewhere and ended on the eastside of the city and traffic was bad. Had planned to get further south but only made it to Half Moon Bay.

Stayed in Half Moon Bay for the night and back on 1 early the next morning. Ended up in Monterey for breakfast. This is a really pretty town on the coast. Just south of here is Carmel with Pebble Beach golf course. As I use to be an avid golfer thought I'd check it out. Had seen it numerous times on TV and it didn't disapoint. It is a really pretty area and the golf course along the course is a golfers dream.

Saw this just outside of Monterey and did a U-turn to get a picture.

Monterey.....

Had been told about a scenic road called 17 mile drive which goes to Carmel. Multi-million dollar homes and a scenic drive along the coast. Decided to check it out even though it's a toll road. I pull up to the gate and park. Get off the bike to pay the toll and a security guard tells me I can't ride a motorcycle on the road. ?????????????? Told me they had a guy on a motorcycle get on the golf course, tore up a green and now bikes are banned. So I ask.....if a car had done that would you ban all cars? Those are the rules mister....you can turn around here. Guy was a real ass. As I'm mounting up a guy comes over to me and tells me to go back up the road a few hundred yards and there is a dirt trail that I can take and pop out below the guard shack that will put me on the scenic road. Guys says it's a stupid regulation because alot of the homes on the drive has people living there with bikes. I think they just wanted to keep riff raff like me out of there. Anyway, I find the path, pop back out on the road and had a nice cruise into Carmel. Plus as a bonus I saved having to pay the $9.00 toll.

Stopped at Pebble Beach and checked out some of the holes along the coast. Just like you see on TV. Guy in the parking lot told me it's like $275 to play a round. Yea right, like I'm going to pay that to play golf. Saw lots of people that appeared to have a friggin butt load of money.

I have always wondered about San Francisco, I've travelled through, never explored it per se, but its a beautiful place. Going back next summer with the family. My wife says the "left of center population" there succeeds due to the high number of "DINK"s, (double income no kids) both straight and gay in town. It has the highest average home price in America, yet almost everyone I see there looked like they cant afford coffee. Whatever.

As far as Pebble Beach, Im an enlisted man in the Army, not wealthy, but brother I would happily pay 275.00 for a tee time at Pebble Beach. Eventually all those old wealthy elitists there are going to die. Then it will be a nice place.

2000 Ducati 996::Several XRs
mellowdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #48
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
MellowDave....... glad you checked out my ride report and hope you get back to SF.

In the future when quoting on the forum you probably want to just quote the text portion unless maybe there is only one picture or something. When you quote a post with lots of pictures they all post up again and the inmates get riled up. Just a suggestion but inmates following the report don't want to look at the same pictures again to get to the new post. Take care.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #49
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Thumb

Thanks for the RR. Quick read and lots-o-fun! Wish I could find 10 days to escape.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #50
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Thanks for the RR. Quick read and lots-o-fun! Wish I could find 10 days to escape.
Life is short. You gotta make the time. I constantly say to myself that I've got too much to do and can't take the time but afterwards everything seems to always work out. Get out there an do it.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #51
Tgpatrsn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Great RR. Great pics!
Tgpatrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #52
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 479
I enjoyed reading your RR very much. I've been on these roads many times and love hearing what others think. The Lost Coast is very special, the remoteness and the fog and the succulents that grow in that climate make me think I'm riding into Jurassic park. You must have ridden by that guy that has a ranch down on the ocean, unbelievable piece of real estate, no need to travel anywhere.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #53
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamSoldier View Post
I enjoyed reading your RR very much. I've been on these roads many times and love hearing what others think. The Lost Coast is very special, the remoteness and the fog and the succulents that grow in that climate make me think I'm riding into Jurassic park. You must have ridden by that guy that has a ranch down on the ocean, unbelievable piece of real estate, no need to travel anywhere.
Someone told me that the owner of that ranch is some big movie star but never goes there. I'd kill to own it! I plan on going back down that way for some further exploration this spring.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #54
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0lfPack View Post
I have been gathering ideas to fill an undetermined number of days next summer. I have been toying with the idea of just heading in a direction and wherever I end up, that's where I go. After looking at the pictures in this RR, I know where I want to head. Thanks for an awesome RR!
If you end up coming thru Bend drop me a PM. I've got plenty of room for camping or couch surfing on your way south.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #55
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Lots of great pics and stories in this RR. Thanks!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #56
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,105
Terrific job capturing the Golden State! I enjoyed the story.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #57
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Terrific job capturing the Golden State! I enjoyed the story.
Thanks. Can't wait to get back down that way this summer. Great riding.