Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #2131
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
How is Dovi getting results with a pair of 7th place finishes?

He is finishing right where Hayden and Rossi have finished on the bike for the last two years.
The thing is, that Dovi isn't languishing back with the rest of Duc rookies, trying to out run CRT's.

True that he isn't doing any better than Rossi/Hayden have done, but it furthers the point that the bike is a 7th place bike and Dovi is putting it, as high up the order, as it will go. Tires and all that must be the problem, right?
I don't see him as any more special than he ever has been, just interesting that he hasn't suffered the Duc, like a few others, and gotten slapped back down the order for several races, "learning".

I always rated Dovi and Hayden as relative equals, with an edge to Dovi's experience in lower class prototypes. The few good times that Hayden really battled at the front(over fourth/fifth place and pre-Brandl) were with Dovi. Dovi usually kept the fourth in the end...
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #2132
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
I was expecting the last line to be:
Then Marquez asked, " Who the hell are you again?" LOL
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #2133
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
The thing is, that Dovi isn't languishing back with the rest of Duc rookies, trying to out run CRT's.

True that he isn't doing any better than Rossi/Hayden have done, but it furthers the point that the bike is a 7th place bike and Dovi is putting it, as high up the order, as it will go. Tires and all that must be the problem, right?
I don't see him as any more special than he ever has been, just interesting that he hasn't suffered the Duc, like a few others, and gotten slapped back down the order for several races, "learning".

I always rated Dovi and Hayden as relative equals, with an edge to Dovi's experience in lower class prototypes. The few good times that Hayden really battled at the front(over fourth/fifth place and pre-Brandl) were with Dovi. Dovi usually kept the fourth in the end...
Although we are only two races in this season, so hard to make a full comparison, but I would say Dovi consistently did better than either Hayden or Rossi last season, cumulatively.
Dovi ended 2012 with 218 points, Rossi with 163, and Hayden 122.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #2134
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Could not find facepalm image large enough to express my dismay.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #2135
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Although we are only two races in this season, so hard to make a full comparison, but I would say Dovi consistently did better than either Hayden or Rossi last season, cumulatively.

I totally agree that the Techtrios Yammi is a far more consistent and predictable package, able to achieve the kind of results that accumulated Dovi's points from last year. My question is whether the two will have the same hundred point gap, this year, as last. All things being healthy, and finishes follow starts, I suggest that the point gap, at the end of this year, will be more like the gap between Hayden and Rossi on Duc's together. Present, but not a gulf.

Granted it aint the WWF (or WWE for the newer kids), but will they get a good tag team going for racing tactics and defend a few 4th-5th place finishes together? Taking turns as the mule, knowing the mules tires are going off before half race distance, "towing" the second bike around, so the second bike as some tire left to hold the line for their finish... The Germans gotta be thinking of anything they can do to get some points in the Turnip Truck's kitty.

Okay, I'll put my crack pipe down now and go sit in the corner.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #2136
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,101
Quote:
I think that's more about Dean than anyone else.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #2137
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,216
I think we all hope that.

They are currently riding a barely warmed over 2012 bike. I wonder if they will let Piro run the lab bike next weekend while filling in for Spies? I hope they do.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #2138
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,722
Last year Dovi was on the Tech3 Yamaha. He won't be ending 2013 in that position.
I seem to recall Hayden qualifying fairly well, even leading a few races, then fading.
Nothing we've seen from Ducati indicate that will change anytime soon.

As for Spies, I'm not ready to write him off yet. I hope his shoulder heals, and he can get to fighting with his Ducati buddies. Spies is hard, but as Kevin noted he likes to have his head around the problem before he solves the problem.
Once he does that he will be fine on the Ducati. Meaning 6th or 7th. Cal owns 5th, just as Colin used to own fifth.

And two races in is early to be making predictions outside of Marquez being somebody to watch. I don't think the story can be written yet that Rossi is over, Dani is done and Lorenzo has left the building.
I'm looking forward to that next race.
One at a time.
Like fresh chocolate chip cookies, warm from the oven. One at a time; savor and enjoy.

I still think Lorenzo will win the title. Marquez may indeed be a close second., though I'd like to see Pedrosa rebound and win it, for no other reason that he finally does. Rossi a closing third.

A guy can dream.

Right now, only two races in Marquez looks the spoiler to the party. He and that Honda do look to be able to give Lorenzo all he and Yamaha can handle.

Two things:
Next race determines who is in front if those two are together to the end. The guy who finishes in front is the leader of the series. Second, Fast Freddie also scored his youngest rider to win on a Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #2139
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Two track reports in and I have to say I'm really going to miss Shuhei Nakamoto's, cause Suppo is a d-u-d.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #2140
DougZ73
Fading off.........

If we were to dream, and imagine a spec series with the top bike out there, debatable whether its the Yami or Honda this season, I feel anyone of the top ten finishers( typical), could easily podium if not win the race.

But alas, its not a spec series....so the best bike, with best tires, best tire management, best bike set up and best crew( ie not Yamaha-Ben's team last year), is fairly likely to win the race. Smartest rider too...left that out, but its a given to be at the GP level.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #2141
mdubya
Right Brigade

I wonder what a race would look like with the entire field on factory Ducatis?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #2142
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,341
Qatar and Texas might not necessarily be true indicators of where the top guys and their machines stand next to each other. Jerez is very interesting, and I'd be surprised if either Honda or Yamaha has a clear advantage there.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #2143
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
I think that's more about Dean than anyone else.
Yeah there's a huge non-self-aware ego there. Advice asked for is rarely taken, and advice not asked for, even less. I'm sure that MM has lots of guidance already. As if a 20-year old champion gives a shit what people tell him to do under almost any circumstance anyway.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #2144
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
I wonder what a race would look like with the entire field on factory Ducatis?
A red Moto 2 race -4.5 seconds per lap?
Would be excellent.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #2145
mdubya
Right Brigade

Gobmeier says Bridgestone could fix Ducati's problem in two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard Gobmeier, general manager, Ducati Corse
The information that I have gotten from Bridgestone is that they don’t change anything. That means we have to adapt the bike to this specific tire configuration, which is very hard. Normally, the issues that we have, Bridgestone could solve within two weeks—easily, with no problem. But they won’t change anything. We are spending one hundred times the money, one thousand times the money, in order to fix what they could fix at no cost in two weeks.
http://www.gpone.com/2013042510005/G...idgestone.html

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/24...-the-americas/