Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #2641
Dunewar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Elefant View Post
I bet Dovi earns a lot more than Cal.
They both earn enough not to worry about money...

Four wheels good, two wheels better
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #2642
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
I think Nicky Hayden will be the last American MotoGP champion for very long time, at least a generation.

There is talent among the AMA racers, especially some of the young guys, but without major sponsorship coming their way, I see little chance of any American getting a good ride in a European dominated series.

Things a very different now as compared to the '70s and '80s.
Same or worse for canucks. McCormack and Szoke are wicked fast, can beat the sbk fields on good bikes, but unless they win a big lottery, they'll never get a ride.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #2643
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,333
[QUOTE=swimmer;21561020]This time next year Dovi will still be riding a Ducati and it could be competitive. [QUOTE]
Deja-vous all over again!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #2644
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
I think Nicky Hayden will be the last American MotoGP champion for very long time, at least a generation.

There is talent among the AMA racers, especially some of the young guys, but without major sponsorship coming their way, I see little chance of any American getting a good ride in a European dominated series.

Things a very different now as compared to the '70s and '80s.
Maybe we will get lucky and some good ol' Texan got all patriotic watching the race at COTA and will decide to dump some of his cattle and oil money into an American team! I am fans of some non American riders now but it is always nice to root for the home team. It would be nice to hear the U.S. national anthem play at some race series other than NASCAR!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #2645
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef View Post

Unfortunately Spies may never come back from this injury, the level of competition has increased and has put a lot of pressure on him that I think gets into his head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
I really like Nicky too, but I don't see him improving much. Competition is stiff, if other brands enter MotoGP it will take them a while to make a competitive bike and he isn't getting any younger.

Who knows! I do think it is going to take a while longer to heal. Then the guys will be 1/3 of a season ahead of him and he'll just be learning the ways of Duc. Then, if he does get back to 100% he can fight for fifth? Bummer.

Lots of interesting characters at the back of the race that we never see on TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
I would like to see Hayden and Spies on Suzukis in WSB personally. I am sad to say I don't think either of them have much of a MotoGp future
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Speaking of Americans; what is the future for us after Nicky and Ben leaves? The AMA isn't exactly a breeding ground for GP talent now and there are not any young Americans coming thru any sort of gran prix circuit that I know of. Is there any one out there to fill in the void after they leave? Maybe someone who has a shot a championship?
Thanks for the replies guys. Atleast the AMA racing is getting pretty competitive.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #2646
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Maybe we will get lucky and some good ol' Texan got all patriotic watching the race at COTA and will decide to dump some of his cattle and oil money into an American team!
Why do you think Spies is on a Ducati in MotoGP instead of a BMW in WSBK?
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #2647
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Let's talk Americans for bit:

1. Nicky Hayden: I have been a fan for awhile now....since 2005 when I started watching GP racing. Pretty consistently the top American finisher....which really does not mean much these days. Usually a top ten finisher. But, with all the front running aliens, where is he to go to get a competitive ride? Certainly not gonna go back to Honda..not that anyone is asking him...nor Yamaha...no foreseeable open seat there for an American either, anytime soon. Ducati is the only other show in town, and its pretty obvious, has been for years now, they are not competitive with the Japanese bikes ..not without Stoner and bike of 2007. Sure, Dovi is making a good effort on riding the bike of today, and may well be best Duc rider going forward( yes, pains me to say that being Nick has been there for years). Is Suzuki or Kawasaki gonna step up anytime soon, and come up with a GP capable bike? Hayden family has had good relationship with the Kawi in years past. Might something pop up there?
With Checa done (well, nearly), Ducati needing development (and sales help) on the Panigale and Dorna wanting to get some exposure for WSBK in the US, word is that Hayden will race for Ducati in WSBK next season. Could be the first MotoGP/WSBK champ, unless Rossi decides to race a Yamaha there as well.

Quote:
2. Spies: Was his rise through AMA and WSBK the best of his career?? What is he gonna do now on the Satellite Duc? Any better than Iannone has been doing? How long will his injury take to get him back to where he should be, and even if he comes back 110%, is it gonna make any difference on that bike?
Spies got a nasty surprise in MotoGP. Pressure and level of competition is much higher than in WSBK, and in the AMA, he only had to beat one guy. Spies was amazing in WSBK, and he's a very strong rider, but he's no alien. Right now, Crutchlow is a better rider.

Spies will come back and be good once his shoulder's healed, he's better than Iannone. But it would have been better for him to take the BMW ride in WSBK.

Quote:
3. Edwards: I miss him in the main( non CRT) part of the paddock. I did not even know he raced yesterday until I saw his name in the standings.
Edwards should go into TV commentary, that's where his real talent lies, in being incredibly entertaining. He's just not as fast as he used to be.

As for American riders, Dorna are desperate for talented Americans, but they are very thin on the ground. Young Americans prefer to race for cash in the US, than risk trying to make it in a World Championship. And they can't get the local backing that European (and even Australian) riders can to race overseas.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #2648
sprocketjock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Why do you think Spies is on a Ducati in MotoGP instead of a BMW in WSBK?
Can't argue with that logic. I have a feeling Herrin or Beaubier have the best chances of making it to Europe although Cardenes makes sense to. Maybe he'll get a wildcard spot with Suzuki next season much like Spies did. He raced 125's long ago if I am remembering right so maybe he can get a foot in the door.
sprocketjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #2649
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Thanks for the insight Krop.

WSBK...so pissed that Speed( which is going away), is not covering it. I can not get BeIN sports on my cable, or even if I switch to Dish/direct TV. I would love to see Hayden in WSBK again...Spies too for that matter. I actually became a big Checa fan too..watching WSBK.

Edwards would be good in on TV. Watching a recent AMA race...the network covering took on Scott Russel*, but as I knew they were gonna do, no more Greg White.

Boomhower, as my wife calls him, gets old to listen too real quick.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #2650
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:

WSBK...so pissed that Speed( which is going away), is not covering it. I can not get BeIN sports on my cable, or even if I switch to Dish/direct TV. I would love to see Hayden in WSBK again...Spies too for that matter. I actually became a big Checa fan too..watching WSBK.

Edwards would be good in on TV. Watching a recent AMA race...the network covering took on Scott Russel*, but as I knew they were gonna do, no more Greg White.

BeIN also stream the races live via their website. That's how I watched the race while I was in the US.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #2651
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,674
Quote:
With Checa done (well, nearly), Ducati needing development (and sales help) on the Panigale and Dorna wanting to get some exposure for WSBK in the US, word is that Hayden will race for Ducati in WSBK next season. Could be the first MotoGP/WSBK champ, unless Rossi decides to race a Yamaha there as well.
Interesting. I think Hayden will do well in WSBK. There's what... 5, maybe 6, podium contenders there? Hmm... same number as MotoGP.

Quote:
Spies got a nasty surprise in MotoGP. Pressure and level of competition is much higher than in WSBK, and in the AMA, he only had to beat one guy. Spies was amazing in WSBK, and he's a very strong rider, but he's no alien. Right now, Crutchlow is a better rider.

Spies will come back and be good once his shoulder's healed, he's better than Iannone. But it would have been better for him to take the BMW ride in WSBK.
So only Stoner and Rossi has showed life after Ducati, and they have a special something Spies doesn't have. I agree on the WSBK deal. He'll never get a better ride in MotoGP now.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #2652
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,654
Schwantz has been doing his part to help get more American riders

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/19...s-controversy/
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #2653
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:

PJ Jacobsen is only 20 and making an impression in British Superbike.

Tommy Aquino has jumped to the British 1000cc Superstock national series for this year. That is not an easy class to get results in. He's another young American(21 years old) trying to avoid the AMA trap.

A little "local" pride involved here, but still. Alex Wisdom(http://www.alexwisdom.com/) is trying to make an international impression in the European Junior Cup. He's a 17 year old lad who has shown promise. And he and his family understand that AMA is a dead end if Alex wants to get in the GP circus. He was invited to the Red Bull Rookies Cup tryouts 2 years in a row.

Even though I think each one of these examples has the ability and talent to take them into the world championships. It really does come down to your point about sponsorship.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #2654
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Quote:
BeIN also stream the races live via their website. That's how I watched the race while I was in the US.
Cool. Thanks. I'll have to check things out that way.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #2655
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:

Nicky Hayden was never in WSBK. He only raced the Laguna Seca race as a wild card and finsihed 4th. Went straight to motoGP after AMA. Tommy and Roger Lee had brief stints I believe.

Would love to watch him in WSBK. I think his upbringing in dirt track fits a heavier, less precise, powerful type of bike. I believe he represents Ducati very well.

Russel has been the commentator for a long time on Speed. I agree his voice is annoying.

Edwards would be a great commentator!

Finally watched Moto3 this morning. Great race!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote