Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #2701
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
It was a superbike, not supersport, and he was running competitive times, don't know about faster than Biaggi though. But given he and Max aren't exactly best mates, if beating Max's times was his goal, I'm sure he could have done it!
It was Melandri.....on Melandri's bike

Max was riding the Ape that year, but I'm not sure if Vale was faster than Max at that track. As I recall Vale was something large...like 2 seconds faster though.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #2702
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post

ETA: I believe Max and Vale have called a truce and even follow each other on Twitter.
How cute. Max and Vale, BFF.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #2703
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
I seem to remember after Rossi just came back from breaking his leg he tested a factory supersport and was running faster times than Biaggi on his WSBK?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...laps-tilt.html
Speaking of the leg break. Remember the VR sympathy tour on the grid for the mugello race after VR broke his leg on friday. JLo holding a sign with get well soon or some such affection on it. That shit ain't happening again.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #2704
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Speaking of the leg break. Remember the VR sympathy tour on the grid for the mugello race after VR broke his leg on friday. JLo holding a sign with get well soon or some such affection on it. That shit ain't happening again.
If that wasn't enough, Lorenzo wore a #46 shirt on the podium. Would it be cynical to imagine he wasn't entirely grief-stricken at Rossi being sidelined?
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #2705
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
I'm going to make a rash prediction here and say that I think that if Rossi doesn't start getting the sort of results he hoped for soon he'll retire at the end of this season (or go to WSBK). There's no way he'll do a Schumacher and just trundle round making up the numbers. That'd free up a spot for his mate Cal and allow Pol to go to Tech 3.
I may be wrong though (it wouldn't be the first time).
I think he's the sort to stick it out and give it a good push at least for the 2-yr contract. I think it's reasonable to expect 2 years to get a bike/rider combo sorted out. I'll say that if he doesn't win a championship on the next 2 years then he'll leave GP. I never thought he'd go to WSBK so I'll predict that too. He'll go rally racing cages.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #2706
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
With that said, I did find it funny how everyone was always bagging on Jlo and how his success only came from Rossi developing the bike. I think Rossi going to Ducati for those two years, and Jlo still doing just fine developing the bike. shows this.. Further illustrated by Rossi coming back to Yamaha, and not all out dominating.
Alternative scenario: under Lorenzo's tutelage Yamaha has fallen behind Honda. Remember we haven't really got to the 'Honda tracks' yet and the 'Yamaha tracks' have been mixed at best.

To the latter point: Lorenzo is the #1 rider, so the bike is developed for him, not Rossi. In that view, Rossi's current job is to ride like JLo, only more so.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #2707
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
Alternative scenario: under Lorenzo's tutelage Yamaha has fallen behind Honda. Remember we haven't really got to the 'Honda tracks' yet and the 'Yamaha tracks' have been mixed at best.

To the latter point: Lorenzo is the #1 rider, so the bike is developed for him, not Rossi. In that view, Rossi's current job is to ride like JLo, only more so.
Or, alternative to the alternative. Stoner brought the Honda up beyond the Yamaha. He was the only one to win a championship on the Duc. One would have to think he had some good development skills too....we know he had great riding skills.

I think Jlo's first year on the M1 was hard, and he was crashing a lot, because he had to learn a new style to ride the bike...carrying great corner speed..which he did not do then, but certainly does now.

Of course, this is all my armchair quaterbacking....but I am happy to be going and dodging some trees in the dirt tonight.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #2708
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Excellent article on the Marquez brothers.

http://cyclenews.uberflip.com/i/134503/86
Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #2709
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Another good read, pipped from Krop's twitter feed.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Jun/130606ju.htm
Old 06-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #2710
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Or, alternative to the alternative. Stoner brought the Honda up beyond the Yamaha.
That would be revising history.
Quote:
“I respect Dani a lot as a racer and the work that he did with this bike is evident. I only rode it last year so I only change a few settings. This is why I also wanted his opinion with the 1000.

"I don’t think that any bike should be developed around one rider. I think it is evident that the Honda has improved over the last few years and Dani being their strongest rider, I’m sure most of the development was coming from him, so it is a big credit to Dani that the bike is working so well now.”
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #2711
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
Beat me to it. Stoner jumped on a well sorted and developed bike when he switched to Honda. Give Dani his due there. (this coming from a toner fan at that)
Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #2712
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Well, that does beg the question then, why was Dani not a champion on the bike? Surely Stoner had to have some impact on its set up.

Not to mention, if we say that the set up/sorting of the bike was all Dani, then Stoner really is that good of a rider.

BTW..I accept eating crow on not having enough knowledge of the Honda team. Never been a great fan of Honda GP team, even when Nicky was there.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #2713
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 839
stoner

its not just the rider
stoner had 99% crew move to honda

I'm just happy MM has moved up, its nice to see someone hungry like CC
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #2714
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Well, that does beg the question then, why was Dani not a champion on the bike?

Injuries in my opinion. His momentum has been derailed a few times by being forced to miss races. I think that is the negative side to his small build, the big impacts can break his bones a little easier than a somewhat larger built fellow.

Edit: I think this has to be his year, and he knows it. MM is already a threat in his rookie year, in the future he'll just be harder to beat, and Honda seems to have a slight advantage over Yamaha right now, he needs to make hay while the sun is shining. And who knows, maybe by next year Ducati will be more of a threat. I hope he doesn't get injured this year, and win or lose gets to make it all the way through to the end of the championship. (I'm over the Nicky incident, I admire Dani's tenacity.)

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )

jersey jim screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 07:10 PM
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #2715
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey jim View Post
I think this has to be his year, and he knows it. MM is already a threat in his rookie year, in the future he'll just be harder to beat, and Honda seems to have a slight advantage over Yamaha right now, he needs to make hay while the sun is shining. And who knows, maybe by next year Ducati will be more of a threat. I hope he doesn't get injured this year, and win or lose gets to make it all the way through to the end of the championship. (I'm over the Nicky incident, I admire Dani's tenacity.)
Agreed, guy deserves it more than Haga.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote