Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #2731
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
I think Dorna would be perfectly happy to lose Indy, unfortunately.

Krop has there been any talk of booting AMA from the MotoGP weekend and bringing moto2 and moto3? I know they would have to pit in tents but I have seen other tracks where they do this. I have been to Moto GP every year since it came back and honestly everyone I talk to wants to see moto2 moto3 instead of AMA. Now that they are going to be at the WSBK weekend this would be the perfect time to do it.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #2732
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Krop has there been any talk of booting AMA from the MotoGP weekend and bringing moto2 and moto3? I know they would have to pit in tents but I have seen other tracks where they do this. I have been to Moto GP every year since it came back and honestly everyone I talk to wants to see moto2 moto3 instead of AMA. Now that they are going to be at the WSBK weekend this would be the perfect time to do it.
AFAIK there has been no talk of adding Moto2 and Moto3 to Laguna. It's a money thing.
Kropotkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #2733
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,696
I imagine if the bundled COTA and Laguna Moto2/3 would be much easier to swallow for the teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
AFAIK there has been no talk of adding Moto2 and Moto3 to Laguna. It's a money thing.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #2734
sprocketjock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
This will be my third consecutive year going to Indy, and while the facilities are great I can't say I will be surprised/upset if it's my last. Austin or Laguna are on our tentative list for 2014 so its doubtful we would go to Indy in '14 regardless. The track is a snoozer, it has to be one of the most forgettable circuits on the calender.
sprocketjock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #2735
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,077
My only gripe with losing Indy is it is the most convenient round to get to. COTA is during the school year and I had to take off to go there (which I can't do every year) and had no time to ride out there.
Laguana does not have the smaller classes, so though I have gone a few times it is not nearly the same show.
Indy is mid-summer and has all the classes, and is an easy ride. Sadly for my COTA likely won't be in the summer since it is too hot there.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #2736
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Indy is a snoozer of a track, except for all the people wrecking due to the rubber marbles that come from the lack of use there. It's not a wonder why the riders dislike it--I think it's arguably the weakest spot in the lineup. I'd like to see 3 events in America still, but wouldn't mind losing Indy. Are there any other tracks that would be suitable for MotoGP?
some call me...tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #2737
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Indy is a snoozer of a track, except for all the people wrecking due to the rubber marbles that come from the lack of use there. It's not a wonder why the riders dislike it--I think it's arguably the weakest spot in the lineup. I'd like to see 3 events in America still, but wouldn't mind losing Indy. Are there any other tracks that would be suitable for MotoGP?
Road America would be rad! But I would assume not a lot of tracks are set up for the crowd a MotoGP event brings in.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #2738
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Road America would be rad! But I would assume not a lot of tracks are set up for the crowd a MotoGP event brings in.
That would be a great track for a motogp race however, I think the problems with a track like Road America or Road Atlanta hosting a motogp race (and it would need to be in the east somewhere to replace indy) is the tracks don't meet safety standards and especially for Road America I don't think they can be brought up to spec without a lot of money. Fantastic circuit though.

I think the only 3 FIM certified circuits in the US are Miller, Laguna Seca and, COTA.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #2739
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Laguna management has stated several times that they can't afford to pay what Dorna charges to bring the support classes.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #2740
Zeekster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I read that dorna is wanting to expand into South America and wants one less race in the USA. They also talked about one less race in Spain. To facilitate a future race in India,in the future.
I've spectated at Indy for three years and last year I said would be my last! I think it's a terrible place for watching motorcycle racing IMHO! I'm all for trying COTA next year if'n I can find a place close to the track to camp-out!
The only time you have too much fuel...is when yer on fire...Mario Andretti

Zeekster screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 07:35 PM
Zeekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #2741
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,308
Indy has the benefit of the dirt track mile being held in conjunction with the MotoGP weekend. That makes it more desireable for me, and combined with the downtown activities makes for a diverse and entertaining weekend.

The track at IMS is nothing special, but when you factor in the history of the place, and the friendliness and organization of the staff, it makes it worthwhile.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #2742
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeekster View Post
I read that dorna is wanting to expand into South America !
Argentina is already scheduled to host a race next year.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #2743
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
That would be a great track for a motogp race however, I think the problems with a track like Road America or Road Atlanta hosting a motogp race (and it would need to be in the east somewhere to replace indy) is the tracks don't meet safety standards and especially for Road America I don't think they can be brought up to spec without a lot of money. Fantastic circuit though.

I think the only 3 FIM certified circuits in the US are Miller, Laguna Seca and, COTA.
Back in the late 90's RA had the FIM come and look at the track and they said it would cost too much to fix the problems, specifically the Kink/Canada Corner through to T14 areas. However, in the interceding years, RA has done a lot of work in that area, eliminating the Billy Mitchell bridge, straightening the Kink and improving run-off. RA has also greatly upgraded the paddock area. There's no doubt in my mind that RA could easily handle double or triple the attendance of the AMA weekend.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #2744
Peashooter
Older Dog

Oddometer: 71
Went to COTA this year and camped at McKinney Falls State Park. Nice quiet place, cheap, 15 minutes from the track.
75 Ducati GT 750, 66 250 Monza
90 R100GSPD
Peashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #2745
swimmer
armchair asshole

Stoner still says not interested in returning.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/moto...111950889.html