Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #2761
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Might be an Australian figure of speech. First time I heard it was from Mladin after one of his rare crashes. Some body asked what happened and he said "My ambition outweighed my talent".
I remember Mladin saying he "ran out of talent" when he ran Zemke off the track at Miller. I think he used that phrase a few times.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #2762
gco0307
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
"...I have a lot of respect for some of the riders out there..."

Nice to see that he hasn't changed.
Why should he change?

There is still resentment and attitude within the paddock towards him (irrespective of whether he bought it on himself), and as he did not have the respect last year, why suddenly change because he is no longer there?

I know that just because I no longer deal with certain people it does not change my level of respect to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Barry didn't open his yap at every opportunity to diss the NFL.
Not true with Stoner either but the myth will always remain.

Stoner in many Australian interviews conducted this year will generally avoid MotoGP questions and if asked specifically will generally say as he has done her, that he will follow and watch the sport, misses riding but still had bikes to ride and is enjoying his retirement.

If aa person is asked a specific question than they should respond, just as others have done when they have proffered criticisms, but having seen Stoner interviewed a number of times on local tv he does not take every opportunity to 'diss' the sport and does not in these interviews seen offer unprompted answers (and we need more unprompted people in the sport .......... thanks god for Crutchlow)
gco0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #2763
gco0307
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Might be an Australian figure of speech. First time I heard it was from Mladin after one of his rare crashes. Some body asked what happened and he said "My ambition outweighed my talent".
It is a relatively common saying in Australia along with the 'ran out of talent' line, often used to describe the failings of oneself as much as being used to disparage an opponent or team.

I remember hearing and using it back in the 70's when playing kid sport so it has been around for many a year ................. not original but the timing and delivery was precious in when it was caught and to whom it was directed (which is more why the outrage than the actual words)
gco0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #2764
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
You need to remember he was Australian. He still is Australian.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #2765
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Maybe Stoner's "some" was to let everyone know, as if they didn't, that he still dislikes Rossi. Maybe that's news to some people.

Regarding Rossi, he seems to be pretty easygoing about not being at the pointy end in a while. Asked if he'd be ready to pull another last turn move at Catalunya like he did '09, he said only if Lorenzo waited for him.

I think people hoping/expecting Rossi to retire because he's not winning are going to be disappointed. Sure, it'll be weird for Crutchlow to be looking for a job if he's ahead of Rossi in the standings, but Rossi's not going to walk away from another year on his contract.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #2766
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
I think people hoping/expecting Rossi to retire because he's not winning are going to be disappointed. Sure, it'll be weird for Crutchlow to be looking for a job if he's ahead of Rossi in the standings, but Rossi's not going to walk away from another year on his contract.
You may be wrong for a few reasons. If Yamaha comes out with a new R1 (likely) and decide to race WSBK (probable) there would be no problem for ROssi to slide on over to WSBk for the last year of his contract. It would help both series, with Marquez the new golden boy and the most popular rider ever going to a new series MotoGP may take a small hit, but WSBK would have a huge gain. And since Dorna owns them both it would be a win for them.
If it happens Crutchlow gets his seat and Pol gets Crutchlow's the loser IMO is Alexis unless he and DePuniet get the Suzuki ride.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #2767
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Quick question.

I am unable to attend Laguna Seca this year (so I have 2 great turn 2 suite tickets for sale!). In it's place I am going to head to the continent and catch a later round. It looks like either Misano (Sept 15) or Aragon (Sept 29). Does anyone who knows better have a preference? I really wan't to go somewhere with a huge party atmosphere (San Marino I assume?) but if Spain is cheap that would make sense too. Which track would have better viewing? Modern big screens?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brent
I have been to Misano twice for WSBK, 2001 and 2002.

If you are planning on seeing some of Italy, Misano is in a great location.

I find the track kind of boring, especially since they reversed the direction. September 15th will be out of season for the Rimini coast, but I, personally, would find that to be a bonus. See if you can get seats in the grand stand so you can see Curvone thru Curva del Caro. There is a big screen TV there too, so you can see the rest of the race.

If you can rent a scooter or bike, the riding in that part of Italy is pretty spectacular. You could ride the Panoramica from Gabbice Mont to Pesaro and trace the scooter tracks of a young VR46 and his crew.

You will definitely experience the insanity of racing in Italy if you go to Misano. Italian racing fans will redefine your concept of "nuts".

Aragon is one of those track I look at and long to ride. Being in the middle of nowhere has its appeal to me, much like it does for K.

I bet you could arrange for a pretty decent dual sport adventure in the region.

But bang for the buck, go to Misano. Go to Gabbice Mont (stay there if possible/convenient). Go to Florence for a few days, go to Sienna for a day or two, go to Chianti and drink the wine directly from the source.

I have never been to Spain, but Italians have a special way of enjoying life.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #2768
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
You may be wrong for a few reasons. If Yamaha comes out with a new R1 (likely) and decide to race WSBK (probable) there would be no problem for ROssi to slide on over to WSBk for the last year of his contract.
That could be another disaster in the making, getting on an undeveloped first year bike. There is no indication Yamaha has any plans to return to WSBK.

If they do, Vale might want to wait a year for them to get the bike half way sorted.

Also, it wouldn't be beyond DORNA to allow Yamaha to have 5 prototypes if Yamaha wanted to keep Crutchlow.

That would be a win-win for everyone, except maybe Honda.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #2769
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
You may be wrong for a few reasons.
"Yes he will, no he won't" gets boring. $20 to the charity* of your choice if Rossi retires before the end of 2014. If you reciprocate, great; if not, whatevs.

* No Super PACs, 527s, etc.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #2770
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by gco0307 View Post
...not original but the timing and delivery was precious in when it was caught and to whom it was directed (which is more why the outrage than the actual words)
Agreed. The originality wasn't the issue. It was the right comment at the right time to the right person.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #2771
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
I have been to Misano twice for WSBK, 2001 and 2002.

If you are planning on seeing some of Italy, Misano is in a great location.

I find the track kind of boring, especially since they reversed the direction. September 15th will be out of season for the Rimini coast, but I, personally, would find that to be a bonus. See if you can get seats in the grand stand so you can see Curvone thru Curva del Caro. There is a big screen TV there too, so you can see the rest of the race.

If you can rent a scooter or bike, the riding in that part of Italy is pretty spectacular. You could ride the Panoramica from Gabbice Mont to Pesaro and trace the scooter tracks of a young VR46 and his crew.

You will definitely experience the insanity of racing in Italy if you go to Misano. Italian racing fans will redefine your concept of "nuts".

Aragon is one of those track I look at and long to ride. Being in the middle of nowhere has its appeal to me, much like it does for K.

I bet you could arrange for a pretty decent dual sport adventure in the region.

But bang for the buck, go to Misano. Go to Gabbice Mont (stay there if possible/convenient). Go to Florence for a few days, go to Sienna for a day or two, go to Chianti and drink the wine directly from the source.

I have never been to Spain, but Italians have a special way of enjoying life.
And go to Tavulia! Definitely!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #2772
Turder
Throttle engineer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Valencia's weird. Not really a party GP, usually too cold by then. Beautiful city though.
One word: Cheste. I found the party over there to be quite... um different to say the least. Some crazy sh*t was going on there.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #2773
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,704
@matoxley: MM denies copying DP's setup @ Mugello. "I compare data especially on Fridays, but not setup. I also compare Casey’s data from last year."

@matoxley: And yesterday Dani said he's been misquoted after Mugello. All he said was "MM used same electronics to get traction."
dontlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #2774
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post
@matoxley: MM denies copying DP's setup @ Mugello. "I compare data especially on Fridays, but not setup. I also compare Casey’s data from last year."

@matoxley: And yesterday Dani said he's been misquoted after Mugello. All he said was "MM used same electronics to get traction."

It can't surprise anyone that Dani and MM would have a slightly frosty relationship. Two super succesful racers whose first goal is to beat the other guy. Yesterday's press conference seemed to bear that out. DP and JLo occasionally talking and VR and MM (sitting next to DP) talking to each other for nearly the whole press conference and DP and MM not exchanging any words that I could see. Everybody loves rivalries.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #2775
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,502
Perhaps the press is making one up?

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote