Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #286
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketjock View Post
It will be nice if Ducati changes its fortunes around. My biggest wish for '13 is for Nicky or Ben to get a win in the dry. Pipe dream i know...but who wouldn't love to see that?
Within striking distance of the podium would be a good start.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:30 AM   #287
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Just as you are continually trying not to give Stoner some credit that he is due.
What credit is that? THat he's the greatest/fastest/bestest of all time that some here are trying to get it to? Yeah, I won't subscribe to that. He's a champion, but not even close to that. Except possibly on the whining part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketjock View Post
Bautista, Bradl, and Crutchlow could be fighting for the final podium spot quite a bit next season i'm assuming. It will be nice if Ducati changes its fortunes around. My biggest wish for '13 is for Nicky or Ben to get a win in the dry. Pipe dream i know...but who wouldn't love to see that?
The more the merrier! Agree both that it would be nice, and that it's probably a pipe dream..

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #288
slojon
SLOJON

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Honda already have him wearing the "Little white suit". Seems to fit very well. Where are the straps? There are usually straps for those things.

slojon screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 03:01 AM Reason: Felt like it.
slojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #289
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
Yes, I could. If you argue that Stoner was the chief competitor for the title and in individual races during 2010, I would also refer you back to that official website with results. Have a look at 2009 as well while you're at it. But if you want to talk about burden of proof it lies with you, since you claimed that it was racing against Stoner that made him fast. He was fast already before that. You're trying to credit Stoner with another thing he doesn't deserve.
No, you were claiming that Stoner didn't make them fast.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #290
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
In my book, there were 4 'aliens' until the end of 2010... since Rossi switched to Ducati, his status has perhaps been questionable (if you forget what he's done in the past).

But Jorge already became world champion at that time, so for me it is pretty hard to tell exactly, who made who fast. Maybe they all had to up their game to keep up with the other three? And Rossi&Lorenzo certainly had a few close, hard battles in -09 and -10.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:35 AM   #291
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
In my book, there were 4 'aliens' until the end of 2010... since Rossi switched to Ducati, his status has perhaps been questionable (if you forget what he's done in the past).

But Jorge already became world champion at that time, so for me it is pretty hard to tell exactly, who made who fast. Maybe they all had to up their game to keep up with the other three? And Rossi&Lorenzo certainly had a few close, hard battles in -09 and -10.
No doubt that Lorenzo was already fast in 2010, and that Rossi pushed him to be faster. But having to race against Stoner on the Honda instead of the Ducati (to see how good the latter bike is, see the last two years), Lorenzo had to raise his game again. So much so that he now simply does not make mistakes. Both he and Pedrosa made 1 mistake each in 2012, Lorenzo at Valencia, Pedrosa at Phillip Island. In fact, Pedrosa provides a good yardstick for how much the game was moved on in the last two years. When he had Dovizioso (who I rate quite highly) as a teammate, he did not have to push himself. He got a new teammate, and he promptly starts to win more races.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #292
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
I heard or read a story about one of Nakamoto Sans comments about Danny after Casey had joined the team, "how do you like my new rider?" pointing at Danny. "he look the same and talk the same but inside is new rider"
So even he believes Casey forced them to up the game.

bingbong screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 05:50 AM Reason: spelling
bingbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #293
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,110
That's from the SoupKast. Good stuff. #451? maybe??
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
I heard or read a story about one of Nakamoto Sans comments about Danny after Casey had joined the team, "how do you like my new rider?" pointing at Danny. "he look the same and talk the same but inside is new rider"
So even he believes Casey forced them to up the game.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #294
wmfleet2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
No doubt that Lorenzo was already fast in 2010, and that Rossi pushed him to be faster. But having to race against Stoner on the Honda instead of the Ducati (to see how good the latter bike is, see the last two years), Lorenzo had to raise his game again. So much so that he now simply does not make mistakes. Both he and Pedrosa made 1 mistake each in 2012, Lorenzo at Valencia, Pedrosa at Phillip Island. In fact, Pedrosa provides a good yardstick for how much the game was moved on in the last two years. When he had Dovizioso (who I rate quite highly) as a teammate, he did not have to push himself. He got a new teammate, and he promptly starts to win more races.

good read !
wmfleet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #295
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
What credit is that? THat he's the greatest/fastest/bestest of all time that some here are trying to get it to? Yeah, I won't subscribe to that. He's a champion, but not even close to that. Except possibly on the whining part.

The more the merrier! Agree both that it would be nice, and that it's probably a pipe dream..
If you dont beleive that Casey Stoner is(or has been) one of the very fastest guys on a moto gp bike,bar none,then it is you in denial not us making stuff up
Old 11-26-2012, 02:24 AM   #296
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
If you dont beleive that Casey Stoner is(or has been) one of the very fastest guys on a moto gp bike,bar none,then it is you in denial not us making stuff up
Coming from a Kiwi that must be true!
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #297
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Marquez and Bautista are testing at Sepang through Wednesday.

Monday 2 PM times: 1.Bautista 2'02 .19 - 2'03 .65 2.Marquez

Ducati will be testing at Jerez Weds through Friday.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #298
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Stoner was certainly one of the fastest in his own time, and I think he would do very well against fast riders of other eras as well. But this we will never know, so it's •only• the results that count. For everybody. Two world titles is a great achievement, especially the one with Ducati. And he had more wins than others in the 800 era, right?

So yeah, an important rider for the sport no doubt. But for example right now there are two other riders, who have achieved more than Stoner all classes combined, and they can still win more titles.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #299
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Stoner was certainly one of the fastest in his own time, and I think he would do very well against fast riders of other eras as well. But this we will never know, so it's •only• the results that count. For everybody. Two world titles is a great achievement, especially the one with Ducati. And he had more wins than others in the 800 era, right?

So yeah, an important rider for the sport no doubt. But for example right now there are two other riders, who have achieved more than Stoner all classes combined, and they can still win more titles.
Give it a rest...

Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #300
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Give it a rest...

If your Stoner Boner persists for more than 8 hours, seek medical attention.

The hilarious thing is that I've also read that Stoner made Lorenzo and Pedrosa slower. See, Stoner was so crushingly fast in qualifying that Lorenzo and Pedrosa would often give up pole and just try to settle for the front row.

I always enjoyed how Stoner was the anti-Rossi, but one thing they shared was fans with some far-fetched theories.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote