User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #3061
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Doctors

Doctors advise you not to ride with any pen in your body. full stop.

Could it have gotten ugly if he had fallen? yes
Could it have gotten ugly if he fell a week earlier? yes

Could M&M gotten seriously hurt dismounting at 260 km/h? yes

Lets not forget it is a dangerous sport , the wrong mindset could get yourself of someone else seriously hurt.

I personally do not think he was playing with his life to ride with this injury, it could have affected his carreer if he tumbled but so could any fall theoretically.

If the pain or injury inhibited him of controlling the bike properely he would have pulled out. Like he said in his interview "I went out to try and see how it would go, it went well".

Simply the choices we make in life.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #3062
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,655
What about crashing in 2 weeks or 5 why is it any different to the safety of his arteries.
Dave Sadowski pounding down his collar bone plate after a crash in practice to get back out there. It bent and was sticking up so he pounded it down to ride again. There's so many similar stories of pain and suffering by racers.
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #3063
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,564
+1 Dick Mann sawing off his leg cast so he could race in the 1970 Sacramento Mile. He was 36 years old at the time.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #3064
'Dicko'
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Lorenzo risks serious injury every time he gets on a MotoGP bike and rides. Why would he not ride at Assen due to the risk of serious injury? If that risk was going to stop him at Assen it would stop him every race.

Do riders need to be protected from themselves? Maybe, but to what end... As long as he isn't endangering anyone else - and in this case he wasn't - who is better placed to accept the risk of further injury and all that goes with it than Lorenzo himself.

I'll bet that there are plenty of people saying that Lorenzo shouldn't have raced who also branded Stoner as weak or mentally fragile when he took time off to sort out his illness, and he was throwing up in his helmet and borderline passing out while on the bike. Where was the greater risk?
'Dicko' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #3065
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Seeing a lot of slippery slope fallacies: "Motorcycle racing is already dangerous, if he wants to ride it's up to him." For people who are into that kind of thing, there's always IoMTT or Macau.

Maybe the biggest concern for me in Noyes' article was that there seemed to be a double standard, where Edwards wasn't allowed to race, but because Lorenzo has more pull he was given permission.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #3066
'Dicko'
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
Seeing a lot of slippery slope fallacies: "Motorcycle racing is already dangerous, if he wants to ride it's up to him." For people who are into that kind of thing, there's always IoMTT or Macau.

Maybe the biggest concern for me in Noyes' article was that there seemed to be a double standard, where Edwards wasn't allowed to race, but because Lorenzo has more pull he was given permission.
Funny you mention IoM and Macau. I'm a fan of road racing
Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #3067
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,110
Tell me, why these guys all of a sudden need no recovery period whatsoever after surgery? Has evolution already made gp riders so different to regular men (or even gp riders of the past?)

And why does it suddenly not affect the amount of risk taken, if you decide to race some 36hrs after your operation?
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #3068
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
To be precise it's not exactly a double standard. Different Chief Medical Officers of the Circuit gave different rulings. No one overruled an official declaration by an authority in the normal clearance channels in either case. Only Lorenzo did not follow the recomendation of the surgeon who did the repair. I have not seen a statement from Edward's surgeon, but I'll be they also recommended he not race on it so soon afterwards.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #3069
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Tell me, why these guys all of a sudden need no recovery period whatsoever after surgery? Has evolution already made gp riders so different to regular men (or even gp riders of the past?)

And why does it suddenly not affect the amount of risk taken, if you decide to race some 36hrs after your operation?
It seems that today's theory is that you get back moving ASAP so nothing freezes up. You still have to be particular about direction of movement for particular breaks.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #3070
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

"get back moving"=for starters, ride a 260hp motorcycle at racing speeds? nothing milder would qualify as getting back moving??
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #3071
'Dicko'
Adventurer

Quote:

Risk is the combination of two things. Likelihood and consequence. The likelihood of Lorenzo crashing didn't change (Lorenzo was declared fit to race). The consequence did. The risk increased for sure, but if the risk is only on Lorenzo (we'll leave Yamaha and sponsors out of this) why not allow him to accept that risk?

This of course assumes that the fitness standards that racers are required to meet in order to race are appropriate... I've broken both collarbones (different occasions) and I struggled to put on a t shirt or tie my laces. It's got me stuffed how he raced!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #3072
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Dicko' View Post
I've broken both collarbones (different occasions) and I struggled to put on a t shirt or tie my laces. It's got me stuffed how he raced!
When I broke mine, I couldn't even reach for the TV remote for a few days. Was back at work in about 4 days but had to reach across to close the door of the truck. I can't imagine how he pulled that off!
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #3073
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
The amount they get paid, i would mount those bikes even if my head fell off.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #3074
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not saying he could not race. If he's cleared fit, and decides to skip his doctors advice altogether, surely he could. The discussion is, how smart that was.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #3075
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
I'm not saying he could not race. If he's cleared fit, and decides to skip his doctors advice altogether, surely he could. The discussion is, how smart that was.
I think in a situation as this, the doctor has to advice him not to race. If the doctor told him it's ok to race and JLO crashed and died, it might come back to bite the doctor. I don't know if JLO was smart, but the doctor was smart.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote