Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #3676
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,847
Now, if the new management will go look at what they have done, where they came from and the data, maybe a design solution will appear.
Anything Cal has to offer is going to relate from the M1, not real helpful given the format differences.
Which leaves me wondering if this new Audi input is as well thought out as everyone assumes.

Otherwise Cal will be riding for all he's worth for 7th, if the rental motors and bikes don't push the Duc even further back. Though I would not expect that. The rental/production Honda my be the best sorted of the two formats, but Isn't it to use a spec ECU? Sorting that out will take the smaller teams, FTR, and any others longer than the factories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
The company is now Under New Management. Rossi joined under the old regime, Audi are now starting to change the internals of that organization. A lot of the people who refused to listen to Rossi's ideas have already been put in charge of Monster fuel tank seating rubber design. More changes are coming. It's almost like two different companies.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #3677
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
Audi isn't going to waste money and engineering resources on Ducati racing programs. Ducati is selling every bike they can build and those are high margin sales. Ducati will never be a volume manufacturer like Honda and Yamaha. Whats the point of dumping tens of millions more into racing and bite into a big chunk, if not all, of Ducati's profitability?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #3678
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Latest rumor: Hayden and Melandri to Forward Racing.
Manuela Raffaeta!

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #3679
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
He knows nothing. He is guessing/hoping that it will get better. If Ducati couldn't/wouldn't listen to Vale, and he is Italian, they sure as hell are not going to listen to Cal. If you thought Cal bitching about the brakes on his Yammy not being factory issue last year, wait till next year. Non Factory Yamaha is still better than Factory Ducati

Cal wanted Ducati for the money and prestige of being a factory rider.

Ducati wanted Cal because of the exposure: if you can't win, get one of the best personalities to ride for you.

Sad thing is, Cal can really ride.

You start by saying Cal knows nothing, and then proceed to speculate or opine for two paragraphs. Is there any chance that Cal know more about the situation than you do?

I tend to think Cal doesn't make this move without some promise or glimpse of bike progress in the future. Money or not, I believe he also has to be convinced the bike will get better.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #3680
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Audi isn't going to waste money and engineering resources on Ducati racing programs. Ducati is selling every bike they can build and those are high margin sales. Ducati will never be a volume manufacturer like Honda and Yamaha. Whats the point of dumping tens of millions more into racing and bite into a big chunk, if not all, of Ducati's profitability?

Then why does Audi spend all that money at LeMans? Audi is not a volume player in the auto market and yet they've used racing to advance the brand.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #3681
Nostop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Cal has done the right thing. It's all very well us keyboard jockeys saying he should stick with Tech 3, (with the hope he gets a look in when vale decides to hang his leathers up) but at the age of 27, time is not on his side and the money from a factory deal will be just as important as the bike he's riding. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Ducati wage is 3 or 4 times what Yamaha was offering, maybe even more.

He would have discussed everything with Ducati, about what they have and are planning to do in the the next two years, so he most certainly knows more than the rest of us. He most certainly looks at Dovi and thinks, I can beat him and if they get the bike sorted, podiums and even wins are possible. Lets face it, with DP, JL , VR and MM about for many amore year to come, wins and podiums aren't easy anyway, but atleast he'll be earning enough to put away a retirement fund.

I say, we'll done Cal and good luck for 2014 and the future, I look forward to seeing you scrapping, where ever it may be in the pack, just remember, the most important thing in racing is beating your team mate
Nostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #3682
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Then why does Audi spend all that money at LeMans? Audi is not a volume player in the auto market and yet they've used racing to advance the brand.
Yeah, they like to race, and they like to race oddball stuff... From tube framed Quattro's to diesels. Any company that wants to race diesels and win with them has to be a little different.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #3683
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
No comparing Audi and Ducati. The scale and profitability of the auto industry dwarfs small moto manufacturers in every way. Ducati is a very, very small part of Audi.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #3684
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
RE: Audi-Ducati purchase

Racing side alone, I am sure the decision for the purchase was almost purely business based. Ducati is to the motorcycle market( throwing out cruiser type market-HD, etc), what Audi is to the European car market. Confined customer segment( not going as far as to say niche market), high performance product, high profit margin product. I am sure Audi felt they could make money on the purchase of the company, otherwise they would not have done it. Also, the same way that Audi is somewhat of a status symbol to have and own, so too is owning a Ducati. They certainly, in my opinion, make some of the prettiest street bikes, I have ever seen.

Reminds me of my initial track days. First bikes I started passing where these nice Ducs. Not because the bikes could not have out performed my $3000 GSXR beater track bike, but because the owners who brought them to track days, did not have the skill or desire to actually push their $10-15K bikes to anywhere near the limit. Ahh...good time, but I digress.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #3685
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Reminds me of my initial track days. First bikes I started passing where these nice Ducs. Not because the bikes could not have out performed my $3000 GSXR beater track bike, but because the owners who brought them to track days, did not have the skill or desire to actually push their $10-15K bikes to anywhere near the limit. Ahh...good time, but I digress.
At a track day a while back and a guy on a V-Rod was just spanking a guy on a new Paul Smart Ducati.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #3686
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,458
Dovi' On Crutchlow & Ducati: 'On this bike everybody have a problem'

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #3687
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,370
Man..Telling it like it is....
Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #3688
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,847
Ducati bought Cal to ride the bike. And Audi management have replaced a bunch of people. That last is the important bit I think if the next bike is to be something that can be ridden fast through the race, not just pull one hair on fire lap out in QP.
Cal can do the hair on fire trick. I really hope that isn't why Ducati hired him. If it is that brings nothing to the game. It will still be four bikes fighting at the front. Two Hondas and Two Yamahas.

Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #3689
Closed Casket
Suicidal, but a nice guy.

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
Lame duck Cal has seen his last podium.
It was nice knowing ye.

Honey Badger doesn't give a shit. He'll just take his millions of lira and sexy girlfriend and ride off into the Eyetalian sunset....

2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Closed Casket screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 12:22 PM
Closed Casket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #3690
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post
Absolutely and that means Ducati fired Nicky only to have him finish ahead of all their bikes next year
worked for Rossi, and to hear Hayden tell it, he's even faster ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Audi isn't going to waste money and engineering resources on Ducati racing programs.
Then why pay Crutchlow millions?

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote