Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #3736
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
But Ducati's recent history (i.e. since the Pantah 500) has been built on using the engine as a fully or almost fully stressed frame member. That includes all the racing Superbikes and all but the last couple of MotoGP bikes.
No sir. Steel trellis frame for all of them. No alu "deltabox" though. Only Ducati production superbike with fully stressed engine is the Panigale.
Quote:
So, IMO they haven't ditched the concept until they have designed and built an engine doesn't have that task in the design brief.
I agree, it appears that they are still trying to find the "right" frame solution in order to build a definitive version of the engine. But it's getting too late IMO. Wake up guys!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #3737
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 359
Also there's a rumor about the "Wroom" event that from 2005 has been held every year in winter at the italian ski resort of Madonna di Campiglio for the presentation of the upcoming seasons of team Ferrari F1 in conjunction with team MotoGP Ducati Corse.
Well, there won't be such a thing in 2014. Still nobody knows if it is because of the new ownership at Ducati (Audi or VW, as you prefer) that are actually rivals of Ferrari (and the Fiat Group) in the same market, or if it is because of the main sponsor that organise the event (Marlboro) that has been reported as not sure to remain with both teams in 2014...
Old 08-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #3738
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegtrider View Post
Watching the WSBK race on TV, Jonathan Green just said Nicky Hayden is rumored to be coming to WSBK, replacing Jonathan Rea at Honda, with Rea taking a seat somewhere in MotoGP. what?

Hadn't heard that one before today. Anybody know if this tale has any real legs under it?

Or is this just another TV guy talking through his ass?
If he goes there, I hope Honda is going to do some significant updates to the Fireblade.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #3739
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
I agree, it appears that they are still trying to find the "right" frame solution in order to build a definitive version of the engine. But it's getting too late IMO. Wake up guys!
It appears that the way the current formula is structured (tires, engines, cpu) there is only one ideal frame solution - and that is delta box. Unsurprisingly, the manufacturers with a long history of perimeter frame development (and rule making) are dominating the series, and the only thing Ducati can do to compete is to "build a Honda". The problem is they need to sell "Ducatis".

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #3740
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,137
Quote:
Comment here from Wayne Gardner speculating on the possibility of a comeback from Stoner.
That ship has already sailed. He would face a dilemma not unlike Crutchlow's; who does he expect to abdicate in his favor? Honda has every chance of a 1-2 this season. Should Honda fire the runner-up just so Mr Cranky-Pants can return?

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #3741
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
That ship has already sailed. He would face a dilemma not unlike Crutchlow's; who does he expect to abdicate in his favor? Honda has every chance of a 1-2 this season. Should Honda fire the runner-up just so Mr Cranky-Pants can return?
Honda will have 4 factory rides next year. I am pretty sure they would drop someone to get Stoner back.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #3742
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo View Post
Honda will have 4 factory rides next year. I am pretty sure they would drop someone to get Stoner back.

They have 4 this year. No change for next year.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #3743
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
They have 4 this year. No change for next year.

Sorry I wasn't so clear, what I meant was that the Repsol Squad isn't the only place Honda could put him. I have a feeling that if Casey truly wanted to come back, someone else would get bumped pretty quickly.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #3744
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
+1

Repsol riders each have a year left on their contract and also both deserve to keep their seats (and one of them is likely to be WC) not to mention Spanish sponsor. Something would have to go down at LCR or Gresini in order for Stoner to be on a Honda prototype next year.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #3745
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo View Post
. I have a feeling that if Casey truly wanted to come back, someone else would get bumped pretty quickly.

I agree with that.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #3746
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
Stoner will never race a MotoGP bike again.
The most he will ever do is ride a parade lap at Phillip Island.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #3747
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
No sir. Steel trellis frame for all of them. No alu "deltabox" though. Only Ducati production superbike with fully stressed engine is the Panigale.
Well, actually the 851 had the swinger mounted to the motor, so I would say that the motor was part of the chassis and stressed. The Monster and touring series used a modified version of the 851 chassis, so they are stressed as well. So too the 900/750SS series and even the Supermono. The 916-998-1098 etc attached the swinger to the chassis in a conventional way. I guess we can call those models twin spar, even though they are trellis.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #3748
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,107
Quote:

After Pedrosa doesn't win another championship, who cares?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #3749
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
The 916-998-1098 etc attached the swinger to the chassis in a conventional way. I guess we can call those models twin spar, even though they are trellis.
I think the swingarm still went through the motor. They just ran the frame down to the swingarm to tie the front to the rear.

As a long time Ducati owner, I would like to see Ducati do what it takes to win.

Also, I am not real excited about their current production SBK which attaches the steering head to the motor via aluminum snorkel. I loved the springy feel of the steel frame when it was leaned over on its ear.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #3750
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Oddometer: 15,940
Quote:
Stoner may be on speaking terms with HRC, but he's going to have a problem getting any favours from DORNA.

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote