Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #3796
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Casey has been known to drag his elbow (and even his shoulder) a bit.

Can you imagine anyone leaning the current Ducat over this far?!?!?

Sure someone riding on a tire designed for the Ducati could trust the front like that
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #3797
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ray View Post
I would imagine going fast is like working out. The fitness takes years to achieve and months to lose. It may not come back.
He hasn't been gone that long, and he's still young. Plus, it's not like he was home on the couch.

We'll see how far off he is tomorrow.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #3798
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
He hasn't been gone that long, and he's still young. Plus, it's not like he was home on the couch.

We'll see how far off he is tomorrow.
Are there times for today? Not that it matters

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #3799
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd650 View Post
I don't think Stoner ever had the desire to be racing with MM. Could be part of the reason he left. Maybe not.
I think your putting waaaayyy to much thought into what you believe is Stoner's motivations. I doubt Mark even entered into it.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #3800
Turder
Throttle engineer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
I don't think Casey is quite at 10/10ths in the Motegi photos. He only did 6 or so laps before it rained.

Naah, he usually needed only 3 laps to top the sheets.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #3801
Lobster Grrl
Ground feeder

Oddometer: 2,474
Quote:
Casey has been known to drag his elbow (and even his shoulder) a bit.

Can you imagine anyone leaning the current Ducat over this far?!?!?

Marquez hangs off even more.

Nice pix! Thanks for the comparison. It's amazing to see just how much MM hangs off the bike compared to Stoner. Even with MM's exorbitant lean angle it looks like he still has a good amount of contact with the front tire. I'm sure he knows just how far he can push it.

Casey is the only one who has ever been able to mostly tame the Duc, and even so, he still lost the front a fair bit. That bike is cursed.

lg
Lobster Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #3802
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,346

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #3803
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,559
The thing being, I don't think Casey is a great development/test rider. It's like..."yeah, that's OK, look at the times " . Could be wrong about that....We shall see..
Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #3804
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
I don't think Casey is quite at 10/10ths in the Motegi photos. He only did 6 or so laps before Puig turned on the sprinklers to end the session.
Fixst!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #3805
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
The thing being, I don't think Casey is a great development/test rider. It's like..."yeah, that's OK, look at the times " . Could be wrong about that....We shall see..
His crew chief Cristian Gabarrini said he was incredibly sensitive and very precise in his feedback. Could feel things other riders couldn't, and describe it very well.

A story. At Qatar in 2008, the final test before the racing started, Stoner went out on a bike Ducati had ready for him, but he came straight back in again after his out lap, saying there was something wrong with the engine. The engineers checked it over, did all the tests they could to see how the engine was performing, and couldn't find anything. Gabarrini asked him to give it one more go. Stoner was reluctant, but he agreed. He got four corners into his out lap before the engine blew up.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #3806
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
His crew chief Cristian Gabarrini said he was incredibly sensitive and very precise in his feedback. Could feel things other riders couldn't, and describe it very well.

A story. At Qatar in 2008, the final test before the racing started, Stoner went out on a bike Ducati had ready for him, but he came straight back in again after his out lap, saying there was something wrong with the engine. The engineers checked it over, did all the tests they could to see how the engine was performing, and couldn't find anything. Gabarrini asked him to give it one more go. Stoner was reluctant, but he agreed. He got four corners into his out lap before the engine blew up.
The signal to noise ratio just improved a bit. Thank you.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #3807
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,433
Quote:

Thanks David. I love hearing these "first hand, in the paddock" type stories. It adds a lot more to just watching the races.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #3808
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,002
Quote:

So the engineers didn't listen to Stoner and he threw a tantrum 4 corners later and blew the engine?

Or the engineers didn't take Stoner seriously and didn't really look at the bike, they just told him they did?

It should be well known that Casey is an excellent development rider. He's also got the ability make a bike perform inspite of it's short commings. I think these two things go hand in hand. If Ducati has listened to Casey imagine where they'd be now.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #3809
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
It should be well known that Casey is an excellent development rider. He's also got the ability make a bike perform inspite of it's short commings. I think these two things go hand in hand.
Not necessarily. Kevin Cameron tells a story of Freddie Spencer testing for Honda. Every change they made to the bike, some significant, resulted in the same laptime, with a "it's fine" comment from Freddie. The engineers had no idea what was working or not. Crew chief Erv Kanemoto lamped onto the idea that he'd check Freddie's helmet for sweat after each session; more sweat meant Freddie was working harder for the laptime and therefore that technical idea wasn't the correct one.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #3810
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Not necessarily. Kevin Cameron tells a story of Freddie Spencer testing for Honda. Every change they made to the bike, some significant, resulted in the same laptime, with a "it's fine" comment from Freddie. The engineers had no idea what was working or not. Crew chief Erv Kanemoto lamped onto the idea that he'd check Freddie's helmet for sweat after each session; more sweat meant Freddie was working harder for the laptime and therefore that technical idea wasn't the correct one.
Ahhh seee. The engineer has to learn to read the feed back.
I'd forgotten about that story. I guess being able to communicate is a piece of the puzzle too. Freddie is such a nice guy I can see where he might be hesitant to be critical of the engineers. I doubt Casey would have the same problem.
Your point is taken though. I have a friend who rides really well but has no idea what's going on with the bike. Makes me crazy some times.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote