Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #3901
RunningBare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
I'm one of the biggest anti-Stoner fans there is. But even I can see that the bro can ride a bike and knows what he's about. He's just a huge shithead.

So you know him personally? What do you base your opinions on?
RunningBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #3902
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,260
As any other public personality/figure I judge him from interviews, things he's said and done, and just overall demeanor.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #3903
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
I sometimes wonder if riders ever take a walk trackside to observe their rivals. Because it's bleedin' obvious who is relying on electronics, and who is fast.

After the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca I found myself inside of T1, overlooking T3, for the AMA Superbike race. Depressing. Only Josh Hayes was riding the motorcycle; all the other "front runners" were deep into the TC, and visibly slower.
It doesn't seem to me that Roger Hayden is using much TC.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #3904
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,037
Hating Pro Riders in MotoGP...

I always thought the 'hate' was a NASCAR fan thing. Not that I ever witnessed it, because I have never been to a Cup race. I read about it and it seems pretty foolish to me. Probably the most forceful motorcycle racing fandom I am familiar with is the old AMA D36 short track series and maybe California Speedway. Riders really attracted fans that showed up every round for them and competed with each other in the grandstands. These were small tracks and the benches were packed, rooting for their guy in their colors.

The MotoGP hate thing is beyond me. Sure, CS was an annoying interview. Lorenzo foolishly tried to mimic Vale's show for awhile. Fortunately, he reduced it to running bionic laps... Pedro was a small mannequin, devoid of any human character. Like Lorenzo, probably because of Rossi, but he too is coming out a bit lately. No doubt, the MM and Rossi fun on the podiums has been a pleasure for all.

I don't understand how a MotoGP fan could feel so strongly about the human aspects of a rider they don't even know. I get criticism of events on a hot track, but why the personal hate?

There really isn't any bullshit in motorcycle racing. None at any level. It is the purest form of motorsports competition there is. Maybe the purest of all sports. The stopwatch says it all for everybody concerned.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #3905
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
As any other public personality/figure I judge him from interviews, things he's said and done, and just overall demeanor.

Hard to tell from the media, catching the riders when they may not be at their best, or at least up to the viewers standard.

One of my good friends ( and a life long moto freak with an HP4 and a Multistrada ) recently flew to Europe and Casey and Adrianna were in first class. My friend went up, introduced himself, and they had a nice chat. Said Casey came off as genuine and down to earth, a really nice guy. My bud immediately texted me when he landed to tell me that

Casey also told him he had not been on a bike in a while, and that he was staying retired. But this was a few months ago before MM started to go faster!

Never judge a book by it's cover.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #3906
Silver
Dirtnewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I always thought the 'hate' was a NASCAR fan thing.
I don't hate Casey at all. I dislike him, but would never wish him harm or ill will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Never judge a book by it's cover.
Well, if you're a person of the press and media and not everyone can meet you in person then your presence is measured by how you conduct yourself in the press and media. Same with any person of fame. What are your thoughts on Bieber pissing in a bucket in a club, or Chris Browns unapologetic "F U haters I just won a grammy" after his assault on Rhianna? Maybe if I met them in person they'd be allright bros. But all I have to go off of is the media. And in the media. Stoner comes off as a complete whiny entitled shit head.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #3907
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I don't hate Casey at all. I dislike him, but would never wish him harm or ill will.

Well, if you're a person of the press and media and not everyone can meet you in person then your presence is measured by how you conduct yourself in the press and media. Same with any person of fame. What are your thoughts on Bieber pissing in a bucket in a club, or Chris Browns unapologetic "F U haters I just won a grammy" after his assault on Rhianna? Maybe if I met them in person they'd be allright bros. But all I have to go off of is the media. And in the media. Stoner comes off as a complete whiny entitled shit head.
Believe it or not, I don't know who any of those people are, beyond seeing their names in tabloids at the cash register at Vons.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #3908
Silver
Dirtnewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Believe it or not, I don't know who any of those people are, beyond seeing their names in tabloids at the cash register at Vons.
In todays light of media overload. That is pretty stellar. Seriously, good job not knowing who they are, you're better off that way. That being said basically take a famous person who you only see on TV who is always a jerk and that's what you apply how you identify with them. Without meeting them in person, you can't know how they actually are.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #3909
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,142
So anyhoo, moving ON ...

According to Birty, Colin Edwards feels confident he will ink a deal with Forward Racing.
Crutchlow wants to take his crew chief to Ducati.
Ducati wants to Run Hayden in WSB.
Suzuki finished a two day test.
The Indian MGP is toast.

Surely there must be another bone in there somewhere you can all fight over?

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #3910
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
I was just thinking, Stacey comes out for some testing and the motogp forums go crazy. MotoGP needs casey.
I think one of the most accurate comments was that we were robbed of what could have been one of the greatest years of racing with his retirement.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #3911
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
I was just thinking, Stacey comes out for some testing and the motogp forums go crazy. MotoGP needs casey.
I think one of the most accurate comments was that we were robbed of what could have been one of the greatest years of racing with his retirement.
Maybe, maybe not. Would MM have done so well outside the factory team?
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #3912
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
So anyhoo, moving ON ...

According to Birty, Colin Edwards feels confident he will ink a deal with Forward Racing.
The Indian MGP is toast.

Interesting.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #3913
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
So anyhoo, moving ON ...

The Indian MGP is toast.

Honda also want Hayden back. It's uncertain whether he'll go to World Superbike or ride a production Honda in MotoGP.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #3914
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
It doesn't seem to me that Roger Hayden is using much TC.
Not at Miller, true.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #3915
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I always thought the 'hate' was a NASCAR fan thing. Not that I ever witnessed it, because I have never been to a Cup race. I read about it and it seems pretty foolish to me. Probably the most forceful motorcycle racing fandom I am familiar with is the old AMA D36 short track series and maybe California Speedway. Riders really attracted fans that showed up every round for them and competed with each other in the grandstands. These were small tracks and the benches were packed, rooting for their guy in their colors.

The MotoGP hate thing is beyond me. Sure, CS was an annoying interview. Lorenzo foolishly tried to mimic Vale's show for awhile. Fortunately, he reduced it to running bionic laps... Pedro was a small mannequin, devoid of any human character. Like Lorenzo, probably because of Rossi, but he too is coming out a bit lately. No doubt, the MM and Rossi fun on the podiums has been a pleasure for all.

I don't understand how a MotoGP fan could feel so strongly about the human aspects of a rider they don't even know. I get criticism of events on a hot track, but why the personal hate?

There really isn't any bullshit in motorcycle racing. None at any level. It is the purest form of motorsports competition there is. Maybe the purest of all sports. The stopwatch says it all for everybody concerned.

I assume it's related to the notion that one might give a shit about what the royals or Kardashians are up to. Never understood it.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote