Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #4216
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Cameron Beaubier

Who is getting (relatively) big Yamaha money to stay in the states. If I were Kenny (assuming that KR is the "big-money Moto2 team" in question, a conclusion of which I have my doubts) I'd look at Joe Roberts (who has a deal with Ulrich of indefinite duration) or J.D. Beach.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #4217
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Reports in this week's Cycle News indicate that there will be some sort of announcement of Nicky Hayden's 2014 plans imminently, probably at Misano. Current front-runner appears to be LCR Honda on a proddy RCwhateverthehellthey'recallingit, funded by American Honda.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #4218
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Reports in this week's Cycle News indicate that there will be some sort of announcement of Nicky Hayden's 2014 plans imminently, probably at Misano. Current front-runner appears to be LCR Honda on a proddy RCwhateverthehellthey'recallingit, funded by American Honda.
That would be pretty smart for all involved.

I can't quite come to grips with the proddy RC and Yamaha motor lease concept, though. Are there going to be three classes within MotoGP? Prototypes, Proddy Hondas and Yamaha's, and claimers too?

Or are the Claimers going away and being replaced by production racers.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #4219
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

I can't quite come to grips with the proddy RC and Yamaha motor lease concept, though. Are there going to be three classes within MotoGP? Prototypes, Proddy Hondas and Yamaha's, and claimers too?

In 2014, maybe there will likely be three types of bikes but they will be classified 2 ways: Manufacturer bikes (Factory prototypes) and non-manufacturer bikes (Proddy bikes with spec ECUS and left-over CRTs, if any). The Yamahas that there has been a commitment for (NGM/Forward) will be engine/chassis/swingarm supplied by Yamaha (for 2014 only, says Lin Jarvis).

Old 08-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #4220
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,712
I thought I'd read the CRT were gone next year. Hence the scramble for Proddy deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #4221
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,816
I had no idea what a "proddy" bike was....maybe missed it in thread...so I googled. For anyone else wondering too:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...cer/22793.html
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #4222
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

The Claiming Rule is dead, the equipment is still technically legal, if they use the spec ECU.

yooperbikemike screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 09:53 AM
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #4223
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,215
Quote:
The Italians seem to think he will be with Aspar Aprilia.

The LCR deal hangs on someone willing to foot the bill for the whole thing (American Honda). And on Nicky, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I thought I'd read the CRT were gone next year. Hence the scramble for Proddy deals.
The name CRT and the "claiming rule" are gone, but the bikes can and will remain to some degree.

As Mike explained, the distinction will be in factory prototype electronics vs spec electronics.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #4224
mdubya
Right Brigade

Ducati's Bernard Gobmeier says they will be slowly rolling out bits for the 2014 bike with an initial goal of catching up to the 2nd tier Hondas and T3 Yamahas by Valencia, and that a final bike will not be ready until Qatar 2014.

They will test different solutions at Valencia and at the Sepang preseason tests before deciding on a configuration to debut at Qatar.

The 2014 goal will be to score podiums. Not necessarily right away, but as development progresses through 2014.

He also says Ben Spies future depends on his recovery from his most recent injuries and surgeries.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #4225
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,186
Quote:
Who is getting (relatively) big Yamaha money to stay in the states.
I know, hence my qualifier.

Quote:
If I were Kenny (assuming that KR is the "big-money Moto2 team" in question, a conclusion of which I have my doubts) I'd look at Joe Roberts (who has a deal with Ulrich of indefinite duration) or J.D. Beach.
I'm not sold on JD. Maybe he's just had crap bikes to ride, but he hasn't really excelled in the last couple years. Seems to me anyone thinking of being competitive in Moto2 had better be a giant killer in the AMA. Maybe Joe Roberts fits that bill.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #4226
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
I know, hence my qualifier.

I'm not sold on JD. Maybe he's just had crap bikes to ride, but he hasn't really excelled in the last couple years. Seems to me anyone thinking of being competitive in Moto2 had better be a giant killer in the AMA. Maybe Joe Roberts fits that bill.
Tommy Aquino was quite impressive in BSB Superstock yesterday.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #4227
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
The name CRT and the "claiming rule" are gone, but the bikes can and will remain to some degree.

As Mike explained, the distinction will be in factory prototype electronics vs spec electronics.

The rules have just been rewritten (though the rules are the same, they have been rephrased), and the bikes divided into two categories:

1. MotoGP bikes
2. MotoGP bikes with Factory Option.

Bikes under 1. will have 12 engines, 24 liters and use the spec software.
Bikes under 2. will have 6 (or 9, for new entrants) engines, 20 liters and be free to use proprietary software.

It is an interesting redefinition, and a quiet revolution. The factory option is now the exception, not the rule.

In practice, there will still be 4 (or 5) different classes of bikes:
1. Yam & Honda
2. Ducati
3. Production racers / leased Yams / Aprilias
4. Bikes which used to be CRTs.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #4228
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
The rules have just been rewritten (though the rules are the same, they have been rephrased), and the bikes divided into two categories:

1. MotoGP bikes
2. MotoGP bikes with Factory Option.

Bikes under 1. will have 12 engines, 24 liters and use the spec software.
Bikes under 2. will have 6 (or 9, for new entrants) engines, 20 liters and be free to use proprietary software.

It is an interesting redefinition, and a quiet revolution. The factory option is now the exception, not the rule.

In practice, there will still be 4 (or 5) different classes of bikes:
1. Yam & Honda
2. Ducati
3. Production racers / leased Yams / Aprilias
4. Bikes which used to be CRTs.
I know Forward racing is using the Yamaha frame/engine/swingarm but is that the case with all Yamaha production bikes such as the one for Nakagami or is Yamaha offering a complete bike like Honda?

The Honda option for Gresisni and LCR seem to be complete bikes, is that only way Honda is offering their package?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #4229
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post

I don't remember who won off the top of my head. But the race was outrageous.

It took a few laps to heat up, and it was pretty much settled by the last couple of laps, but in between was just awesome.
Went and watched it again. I lost count of the leader changes in the first lap and it continued like that. The announcers couldn't keep up

I remember watching that in '11 and thinking that there was more passing in the first few laps of that race than the entire big bike GP season that year.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #4230
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
Went and watched it again. I lost count of the leader changes in the first lap and it continued like that. The announcers couldn't keep up

I remember watching that in '11 and thinking that there was more passing in the first few laps of that race than the entire big bike GP season that year.