ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #4321
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,219
You can say what you want about the Yamaha and Lorenzo's style of riding, but even Lorenzo himself says the bike needs to be better on the brakes, which is Rossi's (and last year Spies') main complaint.

There is no good reason why the bike shouldn't be adaptable enough to suit the styles of several different riders.

Would they be able to elevate Rossi to the podium? Not so sure, but he may have more chances than he has now. And Lorenzo may be able to combat both Pedrosa and Marquez more easily.

At this point the Yamaha isn't even perfect for Lorenzo.
__________________
+0
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #4322
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciabatti
he was made ​​an offer significant - Nicky is holding a detailed program and an important economic agreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciabatti
Nicky also has an offer from Aprilia, as far as we know. MotoGP or Superbike? Maybe for both solutions.
1. I wonder if Ducati is hedging on Hayden since the Spies situation has become so uncertain.

2. I hope Nicky signs with Aprilia for Moto GP.
__________________
+0
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #4323
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer
 
Fajita Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Barboursville, VA
Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
You can say what you want about the Yamaha and Lorenzo's style of riding, but even Lorenzo himself says the bike needs to be better on the brakes, which is Rossi's (and last year Spies') main complaint.

There is no good reason why the bike shouldn't be adaptable enough to suit the styles of several different riders.

Would they be able to elevate Rossi to the podium? Not so sure, but he may have more chances than he has now. And Lorenzo may be able to combat both Pedrosa and Marquez more easily.

At this point the Yamaha isn't even perfect for Lorenzo.
I wonder if its something as simple as wheel base between the Yamaha and Honda? A longer wheel base would favor acceleration and braking, a shorter wheel base would favor corner speed.

At one of the American rounds I remember Greg White comparing the Honda GP bike to a CBR1000RR and said the wheelbase was 4in longer on the GP bike.
__________________
2008 GSXR 600
2001 CR250R


Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #4324
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
I wonder if its something as simple as wheel base between the Yamaha and Honda? A longer wheel base would favor acceleration and braking, a shorter wheel base would favor corner speed.

At one of the American rounds I remember Greg White comparing the Honda GP bike to a CBR1000RR and said the wheelbase was 4in longer on the GP bike.
It is often said that Lorenzo and Crutchlow set their bikes up with a long wheel base and that Rossi sets his up short. But I am sure the situation is more complex than wheel base alone.

A long wheel base would favor corner speed. Short is for nimbleness, quick change of direction.

The complaint that I have read is that the bike is too soft up front for heavy braking. When set up for heavy braking, it doesn't turn (they rely on fork dive to reduce trail to allow turning vs stability).

ETA: it is probably the swing arm on the Honda GP bike which is significantly longer than the CBR 1000 RR.
__________________
+0
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #4325
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
1. I wonder if Ducati is hedging on Hayden since the Spies situation has become so uncertain.

2. I hope Nicky signs with Aprilia for Moto GP.
Are you saying Nick might end up on the satellite bike?
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #4326
Twinz
Studly Adventurer
 
Twinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: VT
Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
1. I wonder if Ducati is hedging on Hayden since the Spies situation has become so uncertain.

2. I hope Nicky signs with Aprilia for Moto GP.

I vote for number two! Are there rumors afoot about an aprilia Moto GP effort?
__________________
Twinz, Montpelier, VT
04 aprilia Futura, Ash Black - love it!
Gone but not forgotten:
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #4327
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
I vote for number two! Are there rumors afoot about an aprilia Moto GP effort?
There is already an Aprilia Moto GP effort: the ART CRT bike.

The Aspar Team will continue with an updated Aprilia for 2014. The only question is if they will go with spec electronics or proprietary. The latter would make them a "Factory" team and limit them to 5 engines per season and 20 liters of fuel.

The new Aprilia will have a bigger bore/shorter stroke, an updated chassis, a seamless gearbox, and is greatly speculated to have pneumatic valve actuation.
__________________
+0
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #4328
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Are you saying Nick might end up on the satellite bike?
With the rumors swirling about Spies so heavily (Pramac doesn't want him back, it seems), it would make sense to retain Hayden in case they need him.

WSBK is great, but it is currently bush league compared to Moto GP. And Checa has come out saying the Panigale is so uncompetitive, it has no chance to win races. I believe him.

If I were Hayden negotiating with Ducati, I would be angling to help develop the Moto GP bike with defined wild card rides where they don't clash with WSBK schedules.

This is all speculation on my part.

I hope that he signs with Aspar, though.
__________________
+0
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #4329
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
With the rumors swirling about Spies so heavily (Pramac doesn't want him back, it seems), it would make sense to retain Hayden in case they need him.

WSBK is great, but it is currently bush league compared to Moto GP. And Checa has come out saying the Panigale is so uncompetitive, it has no chance to win races. I believe him.

If I were Hayden negotiating with Ducati, I would be angling to help develop the Moto GP bike with defined wild card rides where they don't clash with WSBK schedules.

This is all speculation on my part.

I hope that he signs with Aspar, though.

If I were Nicky the only thing I'd do with Ducati is kiss them goodbye. It's time for a change for him
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #4330
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
If I were Nicky the only thing I'd do with Ducati is kiss them goodbye. It's time for a change for him
It's time for a change but there are a lot of unknowns with regards to the production bikes and the stepped up effort from Aprilla. In light of those things I could see why staying at Ducati for one more year would makes sense to see how all that pans out. But there are definitely downsides as well. Of course if he was getting equal equipment and trounced Crutchlow that would make Ducati look pretty bad. Plus Suzuki coming back for 2015.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #4331
auguzt
4ever n00b
 
auguzt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: NW Italy, lots o' wines n' hills
Oddometer: 367
Eek

One of the italian websites (and one with a huge following) is giving credit to the rumours that Spies will be out of Ducati in 2014, but they are also writing that more probably he will be out of the MotoGP "circus": article on MOTO.IT
__________________
My head is my only house unless it rains.
auguzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #4332
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,266
lol, from the Ignite website. That aint Ben Spies' picture. So does this Ignite guy have wood for Ben or would any American do?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #4333
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento CA
Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
lol, from the Ignite website. That aint Ben Spies' picture. So does this Ignite guy have wood for Ben or would any American do?


Man thats a burn right there.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #4334
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
One of the italian websites (and one with a huge following) is giving credit to the rumours that Spies will be out of Ducati in 2014, but they are also writing that more probably he will be out of the MotoGP "circus": article on MOTO.IT
Very interesting stuff, auguzt.

Quote:
But there is also a small chance that Nicky remain another year at Ducati , instead of the "near future fired" Spies.
One thing Ducati has over the other options is the ability to pay.

Regarding Spies and Ducati: the Italian press loves drama and gossip. It could all just as likely blow over.

I like that they blame it on Mary Spies. The Eye-ties don't like a mouthy opinionated woman, eh?
__________________
+0
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #4335
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
If I were Nicky the only thing I'd do with Ducati is kiss them goodbye. It's time for a change for him
I think the only reason Nicky would stay with Ducati is that they are able to offer the most money, if they want him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
It's time for a change but there are a lot of unknowns with regards to the production bikes and the stepped up effort from Aprilla. In light of those things I could see why staying at Ducati for one more year would makes sense to see how all that pans out. But there are definitely downsides as well. Of course if he was getting equal equipment and trounced Crutchlow that would make Ducati look pretty bad. Plus Suzuki coming back for 2015.
I think Nicky's future is now. It won't look any better for him in 2015.
__________________
+0
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014