Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #4321
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
You can say what you want about the Yamaha and Lorenzo's style of riding, but even Lorenzo himself says the bike needs to be better on the brakes, which is Rossi's (and last year Spies') main complaint.

There is no good reason why the bike shouldn't be adaptable enough to suit the styles of several different riders.

Would they be able to elevate Rossi to the podium? Not so sure, but he may have more chances than he has now. And Lorenzo may be able to combat both Pedrosa and Marquez more easily.

At this point the Yamaha isn't even perfect for Lorenzo.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #4322
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciabatti
he was made ​​an offer significant - Nicky is holding a detailed program and an important economic agreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciabatti
Nicky also has an offer from Aprilia, as far as we know. MotoGP or Superbike? Maybe for both solutions.
1. I wonder if Ducati is hedging on Hayden since the Spies situation has become so uncertain.

2. I hope Nicky signs with Aprilia for Moto GP.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #4323
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
You can say what you want about the Yamaha and Lorenzo's style of riding, but even Lorenzo himself says the bike needs to be better on the brakes, which is Rossi's (and last year Spies') main complaint.

There is no good reason why the bike shouldn't be adaptable enough to suit the styles of several different riders.

Would they be able to elevate Rossi to the podium? Not so sure, but he may have more chances than he has now. And Lorenzo may be able to combat both Pedrosa and Marquez more easily.

At this point the Yamaha isn't even perfect for Lorenzo.
I wonder if its something as simple as wheel base between the Yamaha and Honda? A longer wheel base would favor acceleration and braking, a shorter wheel base would favor corner speed.

At one of the American rounds I remember Greg White comparing the Honda GP bike to a CBR1000RR and said the wheelbase was 4in longer on the GP bike.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #4324
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
I wonder if its something as simple as wheel base between the Yamaha and Honda? A longer wheel base would favor acceleration and braking, a shorter wheel base would favor corner speed.

At one of the American rounds I remember Greg White comparing the Honda GP bike to a CBR1000RR and said the wheelbase was 4in longer on the GP bike.
It is often said that Lorenzo and Crutchlow set their bikes up with a long wheel base and that Rossi sets his up short. But I am sure the situation is more complex than wheel base alone.

A long wheel base would favor corner speed. Short is for nimbleness, quick change of direction.

The complaint that I have read is that the bike is too soft up front for heavy braking. When set up for heavy braking, it doesn't turn (they rely on fork dive to reduce trail to allow turning vs stability).

ETA: it is probably the swing arm on the Honda GP bike which is significantly longer than the CBR 1000 RR.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #4325
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
1. I wonder if Ducati is hedging on Hayden since the Spies situation has become so uncertain.

Are you saying Nick might end up on the satellite bike?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #4326
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:

I vote for number two! Are there rumors afoot about an aprilia Moto GP effort?
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #4327
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
I vote for number two! Are there rumors afoot about an aprilia Moto GP effort?
There is already an Aprilia Moto GP effort: the ART CRT bike.

The Aspar Team will continue with an updated Aprilia for 2014. The only question is if they will go with spec electronics or proprietary. The latter would make them a "Factory" team and limit them to 5 engines per season and 20 liters of fuel.

The new Aprilia will have a bigger bore/shorter stroke, an updated chassis, a seamless gearbox, and is greatly speculated to have pneumatic valve actuation.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #4328
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Are you saying Nick might end up on the satellite bike?
With the rumors swirling about Spies so heavily (Pramac doesn't want him back, it seems), it would make sense to retain Hayden in case they need him.

WSBK is great, but it is currently bush league compared to Moto GP. And Checa has come out saying the Panigale is so uncompetitive, it has no chance to win races. I believe him.

If I were Hayden negotiating with Ducati, I would be angling to help develop the Moto GP bike with defined wild card rides where they don't clash with WSBK schedules.

This is all speculation on my part.

I hope that he signs with Aspar, though.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #4329
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,320
Quote:
With the rumors swirling about Spies so heavily (Pramac doesn't want him back, it seems), it would make sense to retain Hayden in case they need him.

WSBK is great, but it is currently bush league compared to Moto GP. And Checa has come out saying the Panigale is so uncompetitive, it has no chance to win races. I believe him.

If I were Hayden negotiating with Ducati, I would be angling to help develop the Moto GP bike with defined wild card rides where they don't clash with WSBK schedules.

This is all speculation on my part.

I hope that he signs with Aspar, though.

If I were Nicky the only thing I'd do with Ducati is kiss them goodbye. It's time for a change for him
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #4330
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
If I were Nicky the only thing I'd do with Ducati is kiss them goodbye. It's time for a change for him
It's time for a change but there are a lot of unknowns with regards to the production bikes and the stepped up effort from Aprilla. In light of those things I could see why staying at Ducati for one more year would makes sense to see how all that pans out. But there are definitely downsides as well. Of course if he was getting equal equipment and trounced Crutchlow that would make Ducati look pretty bad. Plus Suzuki coming back for 2015.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #4331
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 367
Eek

One of the italian websites (and one with a huge following) is giving credit to the rumours that Spies will be out of Ducati in 2014, but they are also writing that more probably he will be out of the MotoGP "circus": article on MOTO.IT
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #4332
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,266
lol, from the Ignite website. That aint Ben Spies' picture. So does this Ignite guy have wood for Ben or would any American do?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #4333
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
lol, from the Ignite website. That aint Ben Spies' picture. So does this Ignite guy have wood for Ben or would any American do?

Man thats a burn right there.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #4334
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
One of the italian websites (and one with a huge following) is giving credit to the rumours that Spies will be out of Ducati in 2014, but they are also writing that more probably he will be out of the MotoGP "circus": article on MOTO.IT
Very interesting stuff, auguzt.

Quote:
But there is also a small chance that Nicky remain another year at Ducati , instead of the "near future fired" Spies.
One thing Ducati has over the other options is the ability to pay.

Regarding Spies and Ducati: the Italian press loves drama and gossip. It could all just as likely blow over.

I like that they blame it on Mary Spies. The Eye-ties don't like a mouthy opinionated woman, eh?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #4335
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I think the only reason Nicky would stay with Ducati is that they are able to offer the most money, if they want him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
It's time for a change but there are a lot of unknowns with regards to the production bikes and the stepped up effort from Aprilla. In light of those things I could see why staying at Ducati for one more year would makes sense to see how all that pans out. But there are definitely downsides as well. Of course if he was getting equal equipment and trounced Crutchlow that would make Ducati look pretty bad. Plus Suzuki coming back for 2015.
I think Nicky's future is now. It won't look any better for him in 2015.