Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #4636
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I think he was starting to get the hang of his R1. He'll not be heard from again in Moto2. I think Cameron Beaubier will be awesome on that R1, but he'd probably excel in Moto2 as well. So who takes over his R6 seat? I like Jake Lewis and JD Beach. They both have been pretty competitive with the Graves bikes. Gerloff will be a lot faster next season, so one of those guys needs a better motorcycle.
DMG barely pulled off a half assed season this year. There is little or no evidence that there will even be an AMA season in 2014. Cam should have gone with Herrin. I guess Yamaha is paying him good $$$ to stick around the bush league.

Maybe he can get some guest rides in BSB. They seem to play musical teammates at every round over there.

How good did Haga look as Shakey's teammate at Assen?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #4637
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
FOOK!

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...-seca-in-2014/
Old 09-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #4638
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 780
I agree U.S. road racing is at it lowest point in my over 45 years of having interest in it. You can't blame it all on AMA, or DMG the hand writing has been on the wall for quite a few years the 200 is a joke has been a long long while since the Euro's left and it turned into a corporate club race then the rest of the trees in the forest have fallen too. There hasn't been a decent crowd at a US SBK round since 04 and this year they didn't draw at their Laguna round. Most of the folks I see on new liter sport bikes are middle aged guys on Duc's, MV's and Ape's more than younguns on Orient Expresses, they have seemed to be busy making stunt movies on their gopro's and building streetfighters. Maybe a coalition of a North America racing series could build interest consisting of Canada, USA, and Mexico. New venues, riders, and spectators would not hurt!
Sorry to get so far off MotoGP stuff
WR250R
ET4

jktpa screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 04:27 PM
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #4639
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
It isn't quite that bad. Some of the DMG rounds draw a big crowd. NJMP probably draws as well as any WSB meeting (at least when we were there in 2011), although I am guessing. True, the recent Laguna round was a promotional loser. It was DOA when they agreed to it.

MotoGP is the biggest event for SCRAMP and Monterey. Bigger than the ATT golf or the car auctions. They tried to leverage it this season with WSB. It didn't pencil, but they knew it was a risk.

Motogp has done well at Laguna I think. But if Dorna wants to play hard ball, I would vote SCRAMP to skip them. Laguna is a public park, afterall.

Tom Sykes apparently said this weekend you had to have big balls to ride that track, and that he had mellons... Add in the remarkable photography and I think MotoGP comes back. The place is too iconic. The Texas place will run its course as the money men move on to other interests. My opinion of course.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #4640
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 780
According to Planet and other sources SCRAMP announced no MOTOGP 2014
WR250R
ET4
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #4641
mdubya
Right Brigade

Hopefully that is not permanent.

But Laguna needs to step up if they want to put on the big show: real facilities for a world class event and with all the classes.

Personally, I think COTA is a tough to look at circuit; a contrived cookie cutter F1 circuit. I would much rather view racing at/from Laguna.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #4642
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Hopefully that is not permanent.

But Laguna needs to step up if they want to put on the big show: real facilities for a world class event and with all the classes.

Personally, I think COTA is a tough to look at circuit; a contrived cookie cutter F1 circuit. I would much rather view racing at/from Laguna.
The tracks in a park/Military base I think it would be hard to get improvements pushed through, and who pays? The California Coastal Commission might come into play as well.

It's a beautiful place to visit and ride and I love going there but I don't think the local population would be behind any sort of track improvements.
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #4643
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
The tracks in a park/Military base I think it would be hard to get improvements pushed through, and who pays? The California Coastal Commission might come into play as well.

It's a beautiful place to visit and ride and I love going there but I don't think the local population would be behind any sort of track improvements.
As I understand it, simply bringing all classes would open the door to continuing. Further improvements would have to come though. Nothing is impossible.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #4644
mdubya
Right Brigade

FWIW - Indy has started tearing up the old pavement for resurfacing and design improvement.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #4645
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post

Yamaha paid for much of the track homologation costs to bring MotoGP to Laguna. It was originally a very fast 1.9 miles long. Even with the infield (added in the early 90's) around the lagoon, it is still a very dangerous track.

SCRAMP is a non-profit that operates it. It is a county park, afterall... Sports Car Racing Association of the Monterey Peninsula. They go back to the 1950's with the Pebble Beach Grand Prix street course. The first race at LS was 1960 and called the Pacific Grand Prix. The very next weekend was the LA Times Grand Prix at Riverside raceway. This lasted through the 1960's. Those two events together generated motor sports history.

Great names: Moss, Gurney, Lotus, Chaparral, Jim Hall, Bruce Maclaren, Lola, Kenny Roberts, Kenny Roberts, Kevin Schwantz, Wayne Rainey, and of course the modern era.

MotoGP will be back.

BTW; Fort Ord had been closed a long time. It has two great gold courses, though; Bayonet and Blackhorse. The public wanted the base closed since the Vietnam War. About 1985 the base commander paid his soldiers in $2 bills for a month. The place was awash in them and that was the end of the complaints. But it was closed eventually around 1992 I think.

Pantah screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 05:58 PM
Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #4646
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Yamaha paid for much of the track homologation costs to bring MotoGP to Laguna. It was originally a very fast 1.9 miles long. Even with the infield (added in the early 90's) around the lagoon, it is still a very dangerous track.

SCRAMP is a non-profit that operates it. It is a county park, afterall... Sports Car Racing Association of the Monterey Peninsula. They go back to the 1950's with the Pebble Beach Grand Prix street course. The first race at LS was 1960 and called the Pacific Grand Prix. The very next weekend was the LA Times Grand Prix at Riverside raceway. This lasted through the 1960's. Those two events together generated motor sports history.

Great names: Moss, Gurney, Lotus, Chaparral, Jim Hall, Bruce Maclaren, Lola, Kenny Roberts, Kenny Roberts, Kevin Schwantz, Wayne Rainey, and of course the modern era.

MotoGP will be back.

BTW; Fort Ord had been closed a long time. It has two great gold courses, though; Bayonet and Blackhorse. The public wanted the base closed since the Vietnam War. About 1985 the base commander paid his soldiers in $2 bills for a month. The place was awash in them and that was the end of the complaints. But it was closed eventually around 1992 I think.

It will not be back with out the state investing millions in making it a world class location. I don't know if that will ever happen.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #4647
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktpa View Post
I agree U.S. road racing is at it lowest point in my over 45 years of having interest in it. You can't blame it all on AMA, or DMG the hand writing has been on the wall for quite a few years the 200 is a joke has been a long long while since the Euro's left and it turned into a corporate club race then the rest of the trees in the forest have fallen too. There hasn't been a decent crowd at a US SBK round since 04 and this year they didn't draw at their Laguna round. Most of the folks I see on new liter sport bikes are middle aged guys on Duc's, MV's and Ape's more than younguns on Orient Expresses, they have seemed to be busy making stunt movies on their gopro's and building streetfighters. Maybe a coalition of a North America racing series could build interest consisting of Canada, USA, and Mexico. New venues, riders, and spectators would not hurt!
Sorry to get so far off MotoGP stuff
The 200 turned into more of a joke when they changed it to a 600 race.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #4648
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
It will not be back with out the state investing millions in making it a world class location. I don't know if that will ever happen.
Monterey/Carmel is among the very best vacation locations on the planet. The race track is picturesque and offers fans most excellent viewing. What do you want, a better garage?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #4649
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
The 200 turned into more of a joke when they changed it to a 600 race.
The Daytona 200 has been a Johny come lately kind of a deal long before it became a street bike race.
Is the AMA at fault, partly IMHO.

The bigger picture is , motorcycle racing in general in the USA is the red headed step child of the industry. The FIM/FIA have only paid lip service at best to our market .

The loud pipe, bad boy image never helped us along the way to acceptance by the general public either, and that is what we see in the media on a regular basis.

Now today i see on the news where a bunch of so called motorcyclists have had an altercation with some ass hat in a Range Rover .
It does not really matter who was, or is at fault for the first stupid move, motorcycling will take it in the neck for the bad behavior of a few knuckleheads .
Until we clean up our own act, get the media on our side, we will continue to be listed as second class citizens.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #4650
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
Now today i see on the news where a bunch of so called motorcyclists have had an altercation with some ass hat in a Range Rover .
It does not really matter who was, or is at fault for the first stupid move, motorcycling will take it in the neck for the bad behavior of a few knuckleheads .
Until we clean up our own act, get the media on our side, we will continue to be listed as second class citizens.
Saw that too. They were not motorcyclists...they were some asshat gang who happened to ride motorcycles and make the rest of us look bad. Makes a man want to carry an Uzi with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Glad I was able to go and see a race there in 2006. Sure, it was about 120 F, but it was a great experience.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote