Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #4786
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,734
[QUOTE=mike54;22515488] Nobody cares what kind of fuel mileage race bikes get. /QUOTE]
The riders and the engineers do. It's a means of restricting hp or, more importantly a means of maximizing engine performance.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #4787
TTTom
some guy on a bike

Oddometer: 864
So... Dall'Inga will start re-designing the 2014 Ducati when? Right after Valencia? January 1, 2014? Meanwhile Casey's already tested rev 2 of the 2014 Honda and says it's a rocket.

Gotta be painful for Ducati sponsors to see the 2014 season written off before it even begins.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #4788
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 2,917
Ducati solution to be competitive?
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #4789
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 12,898
[QUOTE=swimmer;22515573]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Nobody cares what kind of fuel mileage race bikes get. /QUOTE]
The riders and the engineers do. It's a means of restricting hp or, more importantly a means of maximizing engine performance.
Only because there's a rule restricting the amount of fuel they can carry. Nobody looks at MPG directly.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #4790
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 6,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
The proddy honda will always be just a bit behind but at larger tracks where it can use more fuel it should be close. The bikes belong to the teams so they can do with them as they please. They have spec software. They dont need Honda there holding their hand.

Aspar should take the honda. I'm sad to see this happening to Aprilia but they are not willing to give Dall"Igna what he wants.
Very good points. But...I am pretty sure the Yamaha will come with its own engineer provided by Yamaha. I would be surprised if that doesn't happen with the Honda.

It would be great to see the non-MSMA bikes be competitive through having different strengths.

I also believe we are already seeing a blurring of the lines between the teams out right purchasing the bikes and the manus providing the bikes to the teams and riders they want to have the bikes.

I have almost wondered if it might not be Yamaha that buys out Aleix's contract (maybe indirectly) from Aspar. It would be good for them to have Aleix in the essentially the same bike as Pol. everyone has seen how close the brothers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTom View Post
So... Dall'Inga will start re-designing the 2014 Ducati when? Right after Valencia? January 1, 2014? Meanwhile Casey's already tested rev 2 of the 2014 Honda and says it's a rocket.

Gotta be painful for Ducati sponsors to see the 2014 season written off before it even begins.
Yeah. I will believe it when I see it.

It all sure makes things very, very interesting, for the championship, for the riders who may benefit, for the 2014 season.

Only Aprilia is left out.

Ultimately, having the non MSMA bikes all over the backs of the satellite Hondas and Yamahas (and Factory Ducatis ) will be super exciting to see.

2002 KTM 520 EXC for sale
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926379
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #4791
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
Ducati solution to be competitive?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #4792
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,734
[QUOTE=mike54;22515757]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post

Only because there's a rule restricting the amount of fuel they can carry. Nobody looks at MPG directly.
Right but motogp is (supposed to be) a prototype class where new technologies are employed to push the limits and create the fastest machine possible given a certain set of rules. And hopefully those technologies are useful enough that the factories can implement them onto production equipment to give us better bikes and to help the manufactures to sell more bikes. Improving fuel efficiency is no different that decreasing braking distances. Anyway, enough on this topic. I am glad there are fuel restrictions as I think the technical developments in that arena are the most beneficial to the consumer. I can understand how others see it differently.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #4793
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTom View Post

Im Guessing he builds a RSV4 (ish) frame that can fit a 90 Degree v4 in it to start and works from there. I'm sure he can turn it around pretty quick. The reason Ducati cant turn out new frames is they dont know how to make an alu one. Ducati is a trelli and carbon frame company. Aprilia is a frame company that use to have rotax built all their motors.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #4794
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,595
[QUOTE=swimmer;22515861]
Quote:

Anyway, enough on this topic. I am glad there are fuel restrictions as I think the technical developments in that arena are the most beneficial to the consumer. I can understand how others see it differently.
As long as they go to a combined rider/bike weight rule as when the fuel limit gets lower it just benefits the jockey riders. We don't need more riders on diets so they can finish a race..
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #4795
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post

As long as they go to a combined rider/bike weight rule as when the fuel limit gets lower it just benefits the jockey riders. We don't need more riders on diets so they can finish a race..
What's next? Handicaps for basketball players that are too short?

Shortened handlebars mandated for taller riders for their unfair leverage advantage? Madness!

They just need to sack up and race. And maybe smoke more cigarettes and drink more beers. And screw more brolly girls.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #4796
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
!

They just need to sack up and race. And maybe smoke more cigarettes and drink more beers. And screw more brolly girls.
When men were men and racing didn't have fuel limits or wheelie control..
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #4797
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 12,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
What's next? Handicaps for basketball players that are too short?

Shortened handlebars mandated for taller riders for their unfair leverage advantage? Madness!

Good God it's 1970 all over again.

Next you'll say they need to push start their own bikes at the start of the race.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #4798
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,126
JL Interview

Still not a fan of Jorge.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #4799
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,267
Quote:
I think that limiting fuel usage to increase mileage is kind of a red herring. I believe the rule was implemented to bring some parity to the series. Dorna's interest is in competitive, entertaining racing. Parity will help provide that. Nobody cares what kind of fuel mileage race bikes get. That would be a hard sell to a mass audience.

Exactly
I know I am idealist.....but in a prototype series....or what is supposed to be one.....limit displacement( and stroke type(2 or 4)), and leave everything else alone....let them run the tires they want, the amount of fuel they want, and the electronics they want or do not want.

If they start putting too many limits and restrictions on GP, it is going to turn into another Nascrap series, and none of us want that...well hopefully most of us do not want that.

EDIT: Swimmer....we'll agree to disagree.
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #4800
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post
When men were men and racing didn't have fuel limits or wheelie control..
Maybe they could take a half liter of fuel from riders under a certain weight. That seems to be where Rossi is losing out. This is about Rossi, isn't it?

JB has been calling for the weight rule. I would hate for that to be his final legacy.

The bikes have already grown too heavy IMHO. Nearly as heavy as Superbikes, which have gotten too heavy, too.

Quote:
Good God it's 1970 all over again.

Next you'll say they need to push start their own bikes at the start of the race.
Gasp!