Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #4921
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Geez are we still talking about Stoner? I never had a problem with the guy. Fast and spoke his mind. It seems like criticism of any kind is totally unacceptable these days. He spoke the truth as he saw it and let the chips fall where they may. Could he beat MM? Who knows we're probably never going to find out. He won the chanpionship on a Ducati, a Ducati for dog's sake. Let it go.....
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #4922
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Wikipedia ranks Schwantz below Stoner. Feel better? But since you bring up Schwantz he stuck around as an active racer in the top tier for 10 years. He didn't quit. Kevin has also given a lot back to the racing community and done more to cement his legacy since he left.

Casey will be remembered more for quitting and what ifs rather than what he did with Ducati.
thats your opinion.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #4923
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by misanthropic View Post
Geez are we still talking about Stoner?

He won the chanpionship on a Ducati, a Ducati for dog's sake. Let it go.....
Stoner´s 2007 world championship with Ducati now seems to be lifted into some sort of ´mythical´ level....

Keep in mind, that they had a lot of things going for them that one year, including being on the “right” tyres (which used to be Michelins, but then suddenly in -07, it was the Stones, which they had).. and also CS27´s main rivals suffered some serious setbacks, with their tyres and other stuff.

Don´t get me wrong, it really was a great achievement. And I rate this guy very very high, and he´s earned it. But even if he still is by far the most succesful Ducati rider, it was a steady downhill ALSO for him at Ducati after that one magical year. Switch to the spec tyre really hurt them. And the others fixed their problems, and soon left Ducati behind, as they could not find solutions to their problems – and they still can´t, been more or less this way for 5 or 6 years now. That was one of the reasons CS27 left, and went back to Honda.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #4924
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
And then he won the championship again and I agree with what you said about his time with Ducati as well. Really looking forward to PI.
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #4925
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
Lorenzo is impressive, both as a rider and as a human being. He's a great role model. He came to MotoGP pretty full of himself and had some big high sides, but he learned quickly and made immediate changes. He has incredible strength of character, speaks his mind, and balances his will to win with a high regard for the safety of other riders. He doesn't play to the audience much because his source of strength and support comes from within. I admire those qualities.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #4926
matkal
Assault Commuter

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Looks like Aspar will go with Honda.

http://www.gpone.com/en/201310131183...lla-Honda.html
Awesome! I think Honda has the bike that gives Nicky a chance to be competitive. It would be nice to see NH in the top 5 or so and and maybe an occasional podium.

It's all about $$(or euros or whatever) and Honda has a bunch. Yamaha has some deep pockets too. Unfortunately the rest of the manufacturers aren't as fortunate as Yamaha and Honda and therefore can't afford to be as competitive.

Helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."
matkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #4927
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Look at the opportunity it gave him. I just think that you should give something back to an industry you've been fortunate enough to be successful in. It's just the way I look at life. But that's a whole 'nuther topic. Like I said, I wasn't singleing him out. Plenty of folks cash in and get out. But he saw so many things that he thought needed changing. He could either try to fix 'em and make the sport better. Or he could go fishing. He went fishing. I can't hold someone like that in high esteem.
You don't think that two titles and entertaining millions with some pretty breathtaking riding - including playing his part in one of the most memorable battles in MotoGP history - is giving back to the industry?
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #4928
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
We are all just puppets in someone else's game. If we were not making them money, they would not be controlling the strings...they would cut them.

I say Kudos to Casey having the ability to make the choice to cut his own strings and walk away on his terms.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #4929
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
Lorenzo is impressive, both as a rider and as a human being. He's a great role model. He came to MotoGP pretty full of himself and had some big high sides, but he learned quickly and made immediate changes. He has incredible strength of character, speaks his mind, and balances his will to win with a high regard for the safety of other riders. He doesn't play to the audience much because his source of strength and support comes from within. I admire those qualities.
Very well said. Agree with you 100%.

There are times such as this last race and Aragon when he simply can't win due to machinery but, it seems if it's at all possible to be fighting for the win he is there and executes the plan necessary to win. I have so much respect for that guy.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #4930
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
You don't think that two titles and entertaining millions with some pretty breathtaking riding - including playing his part in one of the most memorable battles in MotoGP history - is giving back to the industry?
Some people (Rossi fans) are just never going to except that Stoner was a legend.

Unless he needs money He will never come back. He has a wife and kid and seems like the racer in him maybe gone.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #4931
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Some people (Rossi fans) are just never going to except that Stoner was a legend.
Two titles does not a legend make, sorry.

Helluva rider for sure. My standards for legendary status aren't the same as yours, I guess.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #4932
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Two titles does not a legend make, sorry.
Schwantz is a legend and he only won 1 championship.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #4933
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Schwantz is a legend and he only won 1 championship.
He is?

Spencer, KRsr, Ago... yeah. Doohan maybe for racing and winning despite his injury.

34 for most bikes trashed maybe?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #4934
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 361
MotoGP Legends
from motogp.com

Enjoy.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #4935
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,113
Quote:
I didn't say he didn't do his job. But he has a lot of complaints about the way MotoGP is run. About the demands that are put on the riders particularly. He seems to think it used to be different. Since he can't teleport back in time and race in the 'good old days', he can suck it up and deal with it, try to make changes, or take his toys and go home. Every one faces trials and adversity in their life. It's how you deal with it that raises your status to something special. Casey is a tremendous talent and can ride a motorcycle very fast. But I don't really think he's proven to be much of a racer, and certainly not a legend.

Like some one said. That's my opinion.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote