Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #5056
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Not one comment regarding yesterday's bizarre race?

Beat to death.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927075
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #5057
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Not one comment regarding yesterday's bizarre race?
Yeah, that was some crazy crap...but don't want to have any spoilers for anyone who has not seen it yet. But def, a race to watch for sure.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #5058
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
The race itself was about as usual, fun and a few nice passes in the mid pack, the drama at the front almost seemed staged to me. How in the heck could Honda not know specifically what the rule stated and meant about not exceeding 10 laps before the bike exchange.

What I read on Asphalt & Rubber that was supposed to be Honda's answer/excuse was lame. They claimed that they thought the rule meant they could run a full lap at the ten count then come in on what would be the 11th since Marquez had not completed the lap by entering the pit's.
I believe any competent team manager would have asked that question during the meeting when the race was shortened a second time.

The whole thing is a joke and the tire supplier should have done testing after the track was resurfaced.
Not GP's finest day IMHO.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #5059
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,202
Why is the track surface at PI so abrasive anyway, I'd have thought that there is an "industry standard" of what's acceptable at high profile venues?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #5060
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
TThey claimed that they thought the rule meant they could run a full lap at the ten count then come in on what would be the 11th since Marquez had not completed the lap by entering the pit's.
I believe any competent team manager would have asked that question during the meeting when the race was shortened a second time...
No meeting. As Edwards reported in his Twitter page they noticed the teams with "a piece of paper that passed around with race rules". Not a great communication effort...
Old 10-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #5061
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
No meeting. As Edwards reported in his Twitter page they noticed the teams with "a piece of paper that passed around with race rules". Not a great communication effort...
That ain't no way to run a horse race.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #5062
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Why is the track surface at PI so abrasive anyway, I'd have thought that there is an "industry standard" of what's acceptable at high profile venues?
It wasn't abrasive, it was actually very grippy. But it was so grippy that the bikes were going too fast, and tires were getting too hot. Everyone loved the surface, Bradley Smith echoing the thoughts of others that it should be the industry standard.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #5063
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
It wasn't abrasive, it was actually very grippy. But it was so grippy that the bikes were going too fast, and tires were getting too hot. Everyone loved the surface, Bradley Smith echoing the thoughts of others that it should be the industry standard.
I was wondering about that. If they build a tire to last the whole race would it still be as grippy? It was like they were almost on a qualifying tire. We'll see next year I suppose.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #5064
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
I was wondering about that. If they build a tire to last the whole race would it still be as grippy? It was like they were almost on a qualifying tire. We'll see next year I suppose.
The tough thing about PI is planning for the weather. Will it be freezing cold? Blazing hot? Wet and cold? Wet and warm?

This year it was warmer than anticipated and combined with the new surface and lack of testing by the tire companies, we got the mess that was Moto GP.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #5065
sprocketjock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
I have a dumb question. When one of the mechanics was pushing Jorge's non-running bike forward the clutch was spinning. I assume the bike was in neutral, but even if it were in gear and the clutch was pulled in, shouldn't the clutch be stationary?
sprocketjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #5066
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
If it were in gear with the clutch in, the "basket" would spin, but the internal hub would be stationary as it is geared to the crankshaft.

I only say this because of course I can draw a direct comparison to my dirt bike (NOT!) so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #5067
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketjock View Post
I have a dumb question. When one of the mechanics was pushing Jorge's non-running bike forward the clutch was spinning. I assume the bike was in neutral, but even if it were in gear and the clutch was pulled in, shouldn't the clutch be stationary?
I am just guessing because I've never seen a MotoGP clutch, but if the bike is in neutral gear, the chain system will spin the whole clutch when rolling the motorcycle because neutral is a gear inside the tranny. Put it in gear and nothing rolls. De-clutch with a stopped motor and half the clutch spins while rolling.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #5068
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
If it were in gear with the clutch in, the "basket" would spin, but the internal hub would be stationary as it is geared to the crankshaft.

I only say this because of course I can draw a direct comparison to my dirt bike (NOT!) so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #5069
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
The tough thing about PI is planning for the weather. Will it be freezing cold? Blazing hot? Wet and cold? Wet and warm?

This year it was warmer than anticipated and combined with the new surface and lack of testing by the tire companies, we got the mess that was Moto GP.
Accurate as far as it goes, but as Rossi reiterated, riders have not had real tire options all year long. When the options are already limited, there is nowhere to turn when conditions vary outside the "expected". Since PI is so variable you'd think they'd come loaded for bear. Instead, they couldn't handle warm dry weather. WTF.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #5070
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
Accurate as far as it goes, but as Rossi reiterated, riders have not had real tire options all year long. When the options are already limited, there is nowhere to turn when conditions vary outside the "expected". Since PI is so variable you'd think they'd come loaded for bear. Instead, they couldn't handle warm dry weather. WTF.
Yep.